Hard Drive Space Issue

cincyrob

i looked at the space on the 500gb hdd i have my OS on i dont store anything on it so it should have 400gb+ available. it shows as 246gb of used space??? so i went searching and found in the AVG8 folder there are sub folders. do biggie. but one named DUMP has the 246gb of stuff in it.. it is all dmp.file and exh.file can these be deleted or is it something i shouldnt mess with? i was wanting to clone this drive onto a 160gb wd sata drive but with 246gb of used space it wont fit... is it ik to clear this stuff out?

here is a screan shot of the file.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/dumpfile.jpg

i think i will be ok to delete them as they are just dump files records and such.am i right in thinking this way?

There is little chance that deleting them will mess anything up Rob. If it were to mess anything up, it would only be AVG which can be removed and reinstalled. You should be fine to delete them.

exh is a game file extensions but if its in a dump folder its can be got rid of as far as i know i would

Just a quick thought, if it gives you any errors when deleting, even after tons of different attempts, you may want to consider a linux distro to search your drive and delete the files that way. Keep this in mind, i'm sure this suggestion will come in handy one day for you.

once i get home tonight i will delete them out. after looking at them and like said it is in the AVG8 file the most i would fear doing is reinstalling avg...lol ive just never seen this happen before. hell 246gb in a dump file. i dont have that much stuff on that hdd???

i looked at the space on the 500gb hdd i have my OS on i dont store anything on it so it should have 400gb+ available. it shows as 246gb of used space??? so i went searching and found in the AVG8 folder there are sub folders. do biggie. but one named DUMP has the 246gb of stuff in it.. it is all dmp.file and exh.file can these be deleted or is it something i shouldnt mess with? i was wanting to clone this drive onto a 160gb wd sata drive but with 246gb of used space it wont fit... is it ik to clear this stuff out?

here is a screan shot of the file.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i196/Cincrob/dumpfile.jpg

i think i will be OK to delete them as they are just dump files records and such.am i right in thinking this way?

Dump files are created when an error occurs for which there is additional information that would be useful in diagnosing a problem such as a blue screen crash.

These errors can also create very large dump files especially when the crash/error is game related.

You can go ahead and delete them.

You can also turn of the feature that creates them automatically if you wish & also disable the Auto restart in the event of a blue screen so as you can read the error number on screen.

Procedure:

Right click My Computer

Properties

Advanced TAB

Click on the "Settings" button in the "Startup and Recovery" section

Untic the following two boxes

Write an event to the system log

Automatically restart (see Pic)

dumperror.jpg

-

Gman thanks.. that is the answer i was looking for....i have had some recent BSOD and restarts due to my memory goind south on me. so that explains alot. thank you. i will also do those 2 little tips as well.

Back