Hard drive vs USB? Help

Hi,

I've had usbs in my boxes for timeshift and recording but eventually, then end up bricked. I assume if the kids/missus powers it off / theres a power cut.

Has anyone had these issues? I have about 10 usbs that will never format/cannot be fixed.

Time to consider a HDD. Can anyone suggest a good spec or have any advice? Can they also be bricked or it it because thumbsticks are memory/chip and nkt disk based?

I take it I need a usb hard drive but is it setup in the same way as thr USB thumb drive?

(PS: Searched the forum but didn't find much)

TIA

For what its worth in my experience. Never used usb stick but back in the day I used a box with external usb hard drive which never bricked. But the drive connection could be a bit erratic needing occasional reboot. Upgraded severalo years back to boxes that support internal hdd and not looked back, never had an issue. My small form 4k box has a crucial SSD drive and internal cooling fan, the perfect setup.

tbf dunt matter iv done zemmas for years n got a stack off both that r dead ,there is programs out there to fix like, but just chose to swap em ,power cuts,unplugging,sudden loss of power corses it as its constantly running specially with timeshift/ect ,it just corrupts em it will do the same usb or hdd

For what its worth in my experience. Never used usb stick but back in the day I used a box with external usb hard drive which never bricked. But the drive connection could be a bit erratic needing occasional reboot. Upgraded severalo years back to boxes that support internal hdd and not looked back, never had an issue. My small form 4k box has a crucial SSD drive and internal cooling fan, the perfect setup.
never used ssd tho but suppose they will work better as they dont wright data they package it

If you can't format a usb it's more than likely your OS and not the actual usb stick,
It will be ext4 and window cannot recognise it, try Linux or Mac,

Thanks for all the help.

I figured with most HDs being physical spinning magnetic disk, they wouldn't suffer form the same brick issue as usbs? Maybe not then...

I've got the zgemma h9se's... not sure if anyone is allowed to recommend an HD or an SSD drive?

Back