have voda started throttling "unknown streaming sources"

cmerriman

I have two very reliable providers and my daughter has one of them also. We have never needed vpn etc, We are both on Vodafone superfast.
Recently she has been experiencing a major buffering issue on her firestick which I thought may be a problem with perfect player ( other streaming such as bbc player etc were fine)
I was fairly sure it wasn't the provider as his telegram page would have been logged with other users reporting issues.
I then started getting the same issues with my backup supplier , using their own smarters app.
Just to rule things out, I switched on my vpn and HEY PRESTO! ,,no more issues.
So, do you think Vodafone have started throttling unknown streaming ips?

I had none until recently... but its affecting both my providers and my daughters service... i'm going to try vpn at hers later and post result

same here matey with vodafone.... i had 2 good providers that recently went to bad buffering. i am convinced there upto something they said that they knew i had a android box and they know what its being used for when i phoned them up.

i have put complaints into vodafone and they said there working on it, my router went off after the call and i can see they have addded some weird things inside my router im no expert what they are but looks like firewall rules for my android box they weren't there before i phoned them up and my router going off.

in bound and out bound rules i think they are and loads of ip address and weird names have been added

since they have done this i cant watch iptv at all it buffers massively and im still getting 80mb to the box. i have tried changing the name of my android box etc but its still the same.

i phoned them up at the start due to low speeds, they went on to say that they know a android box is connected and they will all be stopped soon, i mentioned i use that for bbc iplayer etc, but they said most use them for illegal activities and they wont work before long. they said they can see problems with my speeds and it will be looked into

my router went off that afternoon and was off a while we had a text to say that all is well now and yes i am getting 80mb to my android box as before i was getting 10mb to the box. I was looking in my router settings to see if the fcc errors had calmed down and they have now that's were i realised the firewall rules added and there all for my android box ip address. i will try and get some pics

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm
im currently running 5 boxes in my household with the same provider using android based devices and have not had any issues.

If switching suppliers is not an option try getting a vpn router - connect this to your ISP modem/router that way they wont be able to see the traffic.

after a few months give your isp a call and ask them what they see

Seeing the same issue as OP. Recently moved to voda superfast but the IPTV is suggesting only 3.70/Mbps going to the TV (connected directly via ethernet). Getting really laggy picture, with no sound unless I move channels. Never had this issue with b t (same sub provider).

Anyone advise how I can set up a VPN?

Swapped my router over to a tplink vr900 and my sub as been perfect all weekend. Routers not dropping off as it did with the Vodafone one. And no fcc errors which I
Think was causing these problems I had. The Vodafone router is crap or it’s blocking or trying its best to inturupt iptv services

We just got rid of Vodafone for the same reasons we actually got out of our contract 12 months early. I went with BT got a good deal so far had no problems.

Back