HDR content not handled well on ££ Samsung TV/Firestick 4K. What's the point then? Help me understand!

WakaWaka

I have a Samsung QN800A TV (a store 'display' TV on great discount I bought in May 2022) with a 4K Firestick.
I watch my movies/series via Stremio.
Turns out my TV model cannot handle HDR content very well...bummer!

-This is the best video example of the 'grey film/haze/darker colours' at certain/random parts of movies/series.
I had no idea what caused this until someone pointed out that it's HDR content causing this.
This shows 3 movie links. First 2 that had this issue mention HDR, the 3rd which was fine had no HDR (hence how it was found out).

-So with my limited knowledge, I'm trying to understand why a highly rated/pricey/top TV such as mine cannot handle HDR content well?
Shouldnt I be able to watch HDR type content with the money I spent on it? (albeit discounted).
Does this mean when watching non-HDR content, I'm still getting the a good 4K picture quality?
Why sell a TV that can do X,Y but not Z? Or am I missing something obvious?

-I was also told that my model TV cannot display a wide Colour Gamut, which is the main reason???
I've followed reviews for the best picture quality settings, but is there anything I should change? Either via the TV or Firestick?

Thank you for your understanding and being able to shed some light...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about your model but I have the Q95TD model and HDR works great in fact always look for HDR files when using syncler as it makes such a difference.

When your playing the movie you clicked on info on remote to see that the screen is actually outputting in HDR in top right corner...some HDR files don't and I assume it's either they ain't HDR or then they mention dolby vision which applies to LG OLEDs or TVs that output in that format

Back