hello... Noob Lookin for a wee bit advice

Hi,
Used to do the old Starview boxes many moons ago , now looking at the F5s for another provider. :)
Was going to buy a gifted one on ebay but dont want to take the chance of glitches and early drop off etc so just ordered the blank box.

Judging by the amount of requests I'm guessing there's lots of glitchy and freezing clines about- so liek every one else loking for some direction as to a good cline provider..

Cheers

S

and you bought a box that is well known for glitching?

lol.. Edit last post.. :) .. Was just about to order one and doNe just a tad more reading on here.
Looks like the blade media box may be a better option ?? It is twice the price right enough..

Guess you get what you pay for ..

Open to recomendations before I do actually spend some dosh..

buying a closed sourced box maker has to do fixes like blade,open source like vu have many teams doing things,if you want a better box for viewing octagon sf8 is a linux box which knocks the spots of cheaper boxes,WHEELObought one lately and is well impressed,good to see you read as others dont lol

Cactikid is going to point you straight at the VU + duo, lol

however, tell us what you want the box to achieve and we will advise you better. for instance, do you want to be able to record one channel and watch another (dual tuner box).

there are many different specs out there, my own needs were just a box that has plenty of support, needed to be able to record (not watch a different channel at the same time), wanted a good 7 day EPG, quality box., I also didn't really want to spend £255+ on a box. So what was recommended for me was the Octagon FS8 for £129. it is an enigma 2 box (which is linux based), it can use the VIX image (same as VU+ range). this box was described to me as being as good as the VU single tuner range for a decidedly less price.

the blade is a step up from the Skyboxes, but it is a closed source box(meaning that it can only use their images) and therefore is liable to support ending if that company went bust. at £80, it is still within the budget range of boxes and people around here swear by them.

Give us a few of your needs and we will get to work on giving you recommendations.

EDIT: I was obviously typing while Cactikid was recommending the Octagon LOL

Last edited:
bloody lurking again lol,duo nah solo2 lol,you do know you need a sat dish in case you not figuredit out:butkiss:

Cheers for the replies guys.. Basically the first on is to replace an original up the stairs, not too fussed about recording but may be handy.. If all goes well than I'll probably get a better one for down stairs that does a lot more.. As long as I get a good pic with no freezing etc.. :)

Cheers

i dont recomend closed source boxes for your main boxhowever, a blade box will be good enough for what you need, and then get a octagon sf8 for your main box. as catikid says stay away from skyboxes if you budjet allowws. i personally never got on with blade boxes however, BEES will help you out.

Thanks Mike.. Will have a look.. What didn't you like about the blade ?

---------- Post Merged at 10:21 AM ----------

Ok.. So been having a read at the Blades.. the 5000 would probably suit my needs and budget right now..

Guessing next Q is can someone point me in the right direction for a glitch free cline. :) have goggled lots of gifts and severs, and they all claim to be fantastic..
Judging by the Cline request thread, lots of people have glitchy ones.. beginning to wonder if its worth all the pain...lol

Cactikid is going to point you straight at the VU + duo, lol

however, tell us what you want the box to achieve and we will advise you better. for instance, do you want to be able to record one channel and watch another (dual tuner box).

there are many different specs out there, my own needs were just a box that has plenty of support, needed to be able to record (not watch a different channel at the same time), wanted a good 7 day EPG, quality box., I also didn't really want to spend £255+ on a box. So what was recommended for me was the Octagon FS8 for £129. it is an enigma 2 box (which is linux based), it can use the VIX image (same as VU+ range). this box was described to me as being as good as the VU single tuner range for a decidedly less price.

the blade is a step up from the Skyboxes, but it is a closed source box(meaning that it can only use their images) and therefore is liable to support ending if that company went bust. at £80, it is still within the budget range of boxes and people around here swear by them.

Give us a few of your needs and we will get to work on giving you recommendations.

EDIT: I was obviously typing while Cactikid was recommending the Octagon LOL

How easy is it to set up the octagon mate? I have one coming tomorrow with vix preinstalled.

I was in a similar position to this last week when deciding. I was in favour of the blade due to cost and ease of set up but felt persuaded by the guys here that the octagon was the way to go for a better quality box so plumpee for it in the end but i'm a bit worried it'll be too techy for me.

it is fairly easy to set up. do yourself a favor and download a ftp program like filezilla before it comes.

How easy is it to set up the octagon mate? I have one coming tomorrow with vix preinstalled.

I was in a similar position to this last week when deciding. I was in favour of the blade due to cost and ease of set up but felt persuaded by the guys here that the octagon was the way to go for a better quality box so plumpee for it in the end but i'm a bit worried it'll be too techy for me.

If you stay calm and follow instructions well, then you should have no problems. I may just have to get around to doing the tutorial I said I would do.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

lol,you do know you need a sat dish in case you not figuredit out:butkiss:

I wondered where I was going wrong (y)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Tutorial would be good as it seems a loy of newbies are being recommended the sf8. Not sure what it does but I'll look into filezilla.

Apologies to the op for taking thread slightly off topic.

..In terms of bm5000s, i got one and set it up for my dad, it wasn't too difficult and i'm not great with tech. Getting my head around how to put a line in was the hardest bit but once you've done it it's a piece of cake to ubderstand thereafter. The box is good, great price with areally nice picture although slightly buggy with some reboots occuring now and again. There are a few others saying similar things in the blade section.

I'll just have to get to it tonight, has your box arrived? As with the blade, it is the first time that fills you with trepidation and fear, but after that you will ask yourself "what was the problem" Filezilla is the program to transfer files onto your Octagon, it is easy to use and it does all the work. two relatively simple steps and bobs your uncle.

Have now ordered the 5000s form a nice chap in an auction site, will be here tmw... Have downloaded all files earlier so should be ready to test out tmw night :)

one word of warning save your line info on laptop or pc as if the factory reset is done your line is wiped off box.(y)

I'll just have to get to it tonight, has your box arrived? As with the blade, it is the first time that fills you with trepidation and fear, but after that you will ask yourself "what was the problem" Filezilla is the program to transfer files onto your Octagon, it is easy to use and it does all the work. two relatively simple steps and bobs your uncle.

I'm collecting it tonight mate. That's great. You've put my mind at ease a bit lol. If i need any help help then i'm probably best to start my own thread on the subject rather than clogging up this one.

Scotty, i think you'll be happy with the blade, good box for the price tag.

Blade came yesterday.. Followed bees instructions last night, put in test line.. Hey presto- all sorted.. Pretty simplz stuff really :-)

Back