Help selecting box for cable

Magicking

Hi
Right I'm wanting some help I currently have Virgin media.
I'm wanting to know what is the best box to get within a budget for cable.
I've read that you need a twin box or Somthing to record and watch a different programme.

As you can see I was lost I was going to get a zgemma h.2h but was told need satellite and cable to record.

Basically I'm lost in which box to get was thinking about the vu duo2 but that's out my price range I think unless someone knows where to get them cheap and set up my self with your help.

All in all I need advice in which direction to look.

Thanks in advance hope you can.help me

Yes but I carnt make mind up from just a list off boxes I'm wanting help and advice.
If you get me
Just put it again in right thred that's all

Haven't really thought about a budget. But around the 150 mark but if for a bit extra can get Somthing twice as good then I'm happy with that. Don't want to be paying lots extra if it's only minimum a bit better if get me

---------- Post Merged at 10:21 AM ----------

Also I'm not the best technically so Somthing that's not super hard to set up.

What is the price of the xtrend 500 and can you get the hhd separate because can pick them up cheap enough

Go to world of sat, look for a box that has 2 x DVB-C, two cable tuners
Think they will be a bit more expensive than £150
Then you need a hdd say about £30 and a cable server,
Ballpark £80 per year

Miracle box mini hybrid is a single tuner, approx £90
You can still record but the box locks itself
To the channel while recording.

There is a guide to sat and cable boxes in the
General sat section

Last edited:
OK so I'm confused now carnt you get one where you just buy a vm line for 25 for year that's what I thought you did. Not 80 for year that's frown me big time. Gees how can i be such a noob thought I was quite OK with technology too. Never though getting a box be so hard thats before even tried setting up lol.

OK I will have a look at those and world of sat but might be coming back to you if ok.

Just checked, it's still there in the stickies,
Buyers guide to the best box
General sat section

Covers pros and cons of sat, cable and combos

Can't post a link I'm hopeless with phones ha ha !!!

Last edited:
I've just checked the buyers guide and im guessing the best for.me is just a cable box. There's 3 on that thread the editor os mini, the miracle box mini, and the E2 boxes.

To begin with what are the e2 boxes. Is that one box or few different ones.

Plus out off these 3 can i watch and record a different programme on each one. Also can I just get one vm line for each of them. And do I need to buy extras for thses boxes.

Finally what is bet best specs out of these boxes and what would you choose regarding performance/price.

Hi Magicking there are lots of good twin tuner cable boxes which will allow you to record and watch another with the Xtrend ET8500 on special offer at present. There's also the Vu+ Solo SE v2 that you can get with twin DVB-C tuners or the GigaBlue range too eg - GigaBlue HD X3. Plus you'll need to buy a hard drive to store all your recordings on. The various boxes can take them internally or externally so that may be a factor in your decision too.
It's all down to how much you wish to spend on it.

Think those two are out my price range. Does the edision os mini or the miraclebox mini have recording while watching other.

both boxes mentioned are single tuner for cable. if you wish to be able to record one, whilst watching another you will need a twin tuner box. if the above are out of your budget you'll have to stick with single tuner if it's only cable you're interested. You will be able to record one channel whilst watching the same channel or watching something you've previously recorded.

E2 boxes are Linux based boxes, so no matter
Which model you choose the menus will look
The same, a bit like running a version of Windows
On your computer.
It's just a case of boxes perform better with better
Specs just like computers

E2 boxes are Linux based boxes, so no matter
Which model you choose the menus will look
The same, a bit like running a version of Windows
On your computer.
It's just a case of boxes perform better with better
Specs just like computers

Edision OS MINI 2x DVB-S/S2 Linux Enigma 2 Twin Tuner Digital Satellite Receiver HD 1080p PVR. I was sure I read you could record on this box while watching other. But must be wrong.
So what is the best twin tuner for cable to record and watch Somthing else got a missus who likes to record things lol. Obviously on a budget. Or are the xtrend 8500 and the vu+ the only ones for cable. It's funny spent hours readying on this site tday and thought was getting somewhere obvs not lol

that Edison box is twin satellite not cable, there are lots of boxes out there, as per my previous post you'll have to spend more than anticipated. Do you prefer to have the hard drive inside the box or external? The Vu+ Solo SE V2 would be external. The Xtrend is internal and has a display on the box.

Is it aww OK then I looked at the world of sat yesterday and the pictures on the back looked like lines in for cable.

But all in all I'm guessing I'm better of saving up for the vu+ or the xtrend. Just the vibe I'm getting from everyone's comments

Back