Help with update or new box from basically no tech person

Blingking

Hi there my H.2s running grog build hasn't been updated in ages, the sound isnt working pictures fine. tried to update but struggling to even open putty. I'm a complete layman when it comes to tech issues, so have box for sale loaded aleady with just free sat channels that i can plug hard drive in to and just record and watch another channel, with a sly skin please desperate to record programmes again without having to go back to sky sub

Why is the sound not working ?

Have you tried reflashing it to eliminate a hardware issue. Grogbuild is no longer sadley.

But you could reflash with a base OpenATV image to check if the sound is image or hardware related then install your own Sky sim.

If it turns out to be hardware related buy a Octagon SF8008 Twin and as you like buillds install Willowbuild.

Yeah the software hasn’t been updated in years so think that could be problem with sound

I am trying to re flash the box to see if it would fix the issue, but not being technical it’s difficult, as originally brought the box all set up.

When I open putty and put ip address in and then word root, it asks for password which normally the instructions say there isn’t none, so push enter again and it says Access denied & asks for password again,

So really struggling just with the basics.
I really appreciate you replying and the box you mention sounds good, doe’s anybody sell those boxes already loaded with the FSat channels and a sly skin so that I could just plug my hard drive in and record normal tv

Thanks for trying to help really appreciate it 😊

Yeah the software hasn’t been updated in years so think that could be problem with sound

I am trying to re flash the box to see if it would fix the issue, but not being technical it’s difficult, as originally brought the box all set up.

When I open putty and put ip address in and then word root, it asks for password which normally the instructions say there isn’t none, so push enter again and it says Access denied & asks for password again,

I really appreciate you replying and the box you mention sounds good, doe’s anybody sell those boxes already loaded with the FSat channels and a sly skin so that I could just plug my hard drive in and record normal tv

you have to goto system network password setup on your box then use the password in putty

Flash the box via USB

Download image from here

https://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/current/zgemmah2s/openatv-7.3-zgemmah2s-20240522_usb.zip

1. Format your USB stick with an MBR partition table and a FAT32 file system.
  2. Unpack the ZIP file and place the content on a USB disk.
  3. Plug the USB stick to the back panel USB port.
  4. Power on,
  5. Press the Power Key on the front panel after you see “USB”on the display. Then the display shows “Flash”
  6. When done the box will boot up on its own.
  7. Remove usb stick once boot has completed.

Thank you I will try this when I get home from work, will let you know how I get on

Thanks so much again for your help 👍🏼😊

Hi there guys, sorry for late reply been away.
just been trying trying to carry out your advice from the other week
When i put the IP adreess in Putty and the window opens and i login with root it asks for password
but i cant add the password i set up on my box

It wont let me type in the window and then it just closes on my computer, any ideas what im doing wrong ?

Hi there guys, sorry for late reply been away.
just been trying trying to carry out your advice from the other week
When i put the IP adreess in Putty and the window opens and i login with root it asks for password
but i cant add the password i set up on my box

It wont let me type in the window and then it just closes on my computer, any ideas what im doing wrong ?
Just type in your password and click enter.
Nothing ever appears in the password box, this is by default.

Does it allow to type your password,
You won't physically see the key presses on the screen ,
If that's the case , I maybe wrong you in terminal or putty.

Otherwise reflash as suggested
im in Putty
theres a green box in front of the word password, when i type the password it does move and when i push enter it just says login incorrect.
I tried the method in post 5 but the link doesnt seem to be working, just says not found on the server

im in Putty
theres a green box in front of the word password, when i type the password it does move and when i push enter it just says login incorrect.
I tried the method in post 5 but the link doesnt seem to be working, just says not found on the server
No problem, no point trying to get into the box with grog build on anyway even if you solved the password problem, best to resfkash with an update image

Back