High Court ordered BT, Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin to block Premier League stream servers

I guess they are blocking via IP Address and port, wouldn't it be funny for the IPTV providers to play a game with Sky and update their own server details with Sky's details and instead of blocking the IPTV provider they blocked the Sky WWW site themselves :) Yeah I realise it would still achieve the same thing, IPTV streaming would stop, but hey, so would Sky's site :) lol!

That would have required hacking and modifying legitimate dns servers, which are obviously protected against such possibilities.

What I find somewhat surprising, is why has nobody reported the success or otherwise of using alternative/public dns servers (and/or proxies) to go around blockage by isp's... unlike decent vpn they are usually free to use.

No hacking of DNS required. I would imagine that the isp will be initially looking up the host name that the iptv server is configured for, in order to find the correct ip address to
Block. You could then easily update the dns registration to hold a $ky (for example) ip address et voila, sky is then blocked

That would have required hacking and modifying legitimate dns servers, which are obviously protected against such possibilities.

What I find somewhat surprising, is why has nobody reported the success or otherwise of using alternative/public dns servers (and/or proxies) to go around blockage by isp's... unlike decent vpn they are usually free to use.
According to my provider he has something in place that's why I didn't get affected at weekend so anything is possible

I have one sub that has never been off and another that went off straight away and they have had problems ever since. To be fair to them they have been communicating regularly with updates and they think they have it sorted presumably with a proxy server.
My question is if the isp can block the 3pm games why dont they put a block on everything or at least all the football. There must be a reason why sly and vermin being the main players in this have not put a block on every server they identify. I appreciate the 3pm business is as a result of the Football League ruling but sly and the rest would have you believe all the other channels are breaching copyright. Is it that they feel confident in their legal position re the 3pm block but less so regarding everything else. They must have had legal advise, it puzzles me, or does it take a lot of resources to identify the streams and put the blocks in place? Would like to know the answer.

why not just go for the servers? they must know who they are? instead as we are led to believe they block thousands of customers, makes real sense doesn't it?

thats why i said from day one it was a crock of shit and hundreds of members have rushed out and bought vpn services and such likes, it's not going to make a blind bit of difference.

Watch what happens around 12.30 Saturday when Swansea and MUFC meet, and then again Sunday around 4.00 when Spurs and Chelsea meet, the whole thing will go into meltdown again and those who've spent their money on vpn's will realise they've wasted it.
I can't imagine the Sunday lunchtime game will suffer as it's Huddersfield V Newcastle and not many will be watching

thats why i said from day one it was a crock of shit and hundreds of members have rushed out and bought vpn services and such likes, it's not going to make a blind bit of difference.

Watch what happens around 12.30 Saturday when Swansea and MUFC meet, and then again Sunday around 4.00 when Spurs and Chelsea meet, the whole thing will go into meltdown again and those who've spent their money on vpn's will realise they've wasted it.
I can't imagine the Sunday lunchtime game will suffer as it's Huddersfield V Newcastle and not many will be watching
Only time will tell why it's only sport and nothing else that's getting blocked could it be football is the most streamed service and they've seen some kind of data but then as you say not everyone will have had football on they could have been the other sports as you mentioned plus I don't know the answer but did the Barca vs real Madrid game get blocked that's still football why didn't it happen Friday when arsenal played first game of season

I guess it's because there is a legal requirement to not stream live football at 3pm in the UK. Which is probably easier and quicker to enforce than going down the copyright infringement route. May also explain why anything outside of this is not blocked.

I agree with most of the above. There is a clear legal ruling on the 3pm kickoffs being screened live in the UK. Everything else is far more of a grey area as I am sure Sly and the rest of the gang have been advised. They will have ample statistics to show most of THEIR customers pay for their service to watch sport and in particular FOOTBALL. Therefore to achieve their goal of undermining IPTV they can do it with the 3pm kickoff blocks. They know they are on a firm legal footing and they only have to use a minimum of resources to do it I am not proposing another poll but I am confident the vast majority of of votes in relation to why perople get IPTV is to watch football. I know the VOD is good as are many of the live channels but I like many can live without the best of American TV and Turkish for that matter! As for VPN's the suppliers will either have already done it or trying their hardest to protect their services from interuption. So dont rush into buying anything, no knee jerk reactions, be patient. Then if all else fails which I hope it doesnt but it may then buy a vpn router or whatever is required. At least at that time you will know all the facts and it will be an informed decision.

Pablo would you care to tell why are you so strongly against vpn? Surely you are not doubting that it works (e.g. see trickpaul's post above) if/when your isp is blocking you accessing banned sites, which isp's do, and it is super easy for them to do.

If your reason is that vpn doesn't work for some, it is not because it fails to circumvent their isp, but that the problem was with the source (e.g. the source was reselling / accessing sources further upstream that was blocked e.g. by their isp's which they did nothing to circumvent, or a source just got overloaded).

The point is, if everybody has vpn, it is practically impossible for streams between them to be messed about short of cutting wires, or shutting vpn providers down!

I was musing earlier regarding why nobody has been talking about using dns servers that do not belong to their isp. Since I don't watch football and indeed have no (need for) iptv, I have not and couldn't tried it. But I would have thought if anybody like trickpaul e.g., who could prove unquestionably that his 3pm stream failed only because it was blocked by his isp (because the moment he turned his vpn on it worked fine), and if he could watch his stream on e.g. vlc on a pc, then it should be fairly easy for someone like him to make sure the pc use e.g. google's dns server, and see if it works. Just for academic interest, like...

Because all recent routers from virgin, bt and sky have their own dns server address hardwired / locked down and therefore can't be changed by settings within the router, I imagine it can be somewhat challenging technically for many to make their variety of devices use public dns servers. This is also why using a pc for testing is probably best.

The reason I am mentioning all this, is because some above are voicing / hoping for the iptv providers to "do something" their end to make the problem go away without the viewer lifting a finger. Having thought about it, it seems to me this is wishful thinking that has zero prospect of success, and in case anybody disagrees, please give a cogent justification.

Once an isp has decided to redirect an unwelcomed server address to a bit/byte bucket, all an iptv server can do their end, is to spend money to put their streams on different addresses; but then viewers will also need to (pay and) be coordinated to change their "access key", wouldn't they? It would also of course just be a matter of time, perhaps days/weeks, for the isp's (who likely have pretended that they are "users" to catch the servers) to catch on to the new addresses. Why would any iptv server or indeed user want to play such a costly game?

Frankly, for the above reasons, I don't see any viable, sustainable means for you guys beyond vpn, and I don't even watch the stuff. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

I'm not against vpn.
I just have serious doubts that anyone, isp's or otherwise could block the veiwing of a football game but leave golf, rugby, cricket and movies intact at the same time, if this is possible and I have overlooked something obvious, please explain.
I watched a full hour of uninterrupted iptv last weekend while football was on, only 2 channels were unavailable and they both had the same game on, liverpool and watford

Pablo would you care to tell why are you so strongly against vpn? Surely you are not doubting that it works (e.g. see trickpaul's post above) if/when your isp is blocking you accessing banned sites, which isp's do, and it is super easy for them to do.

If your reason is that vpn doesn't work for some, it is not because it fails to circumvent their isp, but that the problem was with the source (e.g. the source was reselling / accessing sources further upstream that was blocked e.g. by their isp's which they did nothing to circumvent, or a source just got overloaded).

The point is, if everybody has vpn, it is practically impossible for streams between them to be messed about short of cutting wires, or shutting vpn providers down!

I was musing earlier regarding why nobody has been talking about using dns servers that do not belong to their isp. Since I don't watch football and indeed have no (need for) iptv, I have not and couldn't tried it. But I would have thought if anybody like trickpaul e.g., who could prove unquestionably that his 3pm stream failed only because it was blocked by his isp (because the moment he turned his vpn on it worked fine), and if he could watch his stream on e.g. vlc on a pc, then it should be fairly easy for someone like him to make sure the pc use e.g. google's dns server, and see if it works. Just for academic interest, like...

Because all recent routers from virgin, bt and sky have their own dns server address hardwired / locked down and therefore can't be changed by settings within the router, I imagine it can be somewhat challenging technically for many to make their variety of devices use public dns servers. This is also why using a pc for testing is probably best.

The reason I am mentioning all this, is because some above are voicing / hoping for the iptv providers to "do something" their end to make the problem go away without the viewer lifting a finger. Having thought about it, it seems to me this is wishful thinking that has zero prospect of success, and in case anybody disagrees, please give a cogent justification.

Once an isp has decided to redirect an unwelcomed server address to a bit/byte bucket, all an iptv server can do their end, is to spend money to put their streams on different addresses; but then viewers will also need to (pay and) be coordinated to change their "access key", wouldn't they? It would also of course just be a matter of time, perhaps days/weeks, for the isp's (who likely have pretended that they are "users" to catch the servers) to catch on to the new addresses. Why would any iptv server or indeed user want to play such a costly game?

Frankly, for the above reasons, I don't see any viable, sustainable means for you guys beyond vpn, and I don't even watch the stuff. :rolleyes:

Cheers!
I don't use vpn like many others how come it's only affecting so many people and not everyone I read there was about 5000 streams blocked i wasn't I spoke to my provider and he said it was covered from his end that's why I wasn't been blocked some people was saying all channels and some saying just sport I understand what vpn do as I use one on my computer due to certain sites blocked

I'm not against vpn.
I just have serious doubts that anyone, isp's or otherwise could block the veiwing of a football game but leave golf, rugby, cricket and movies intact at the same time, if this is possible and I have overlooked something obvious, please explain.
I watched a full hour of uninterrupted iptv last weekend while football was on, only 2 channels were unavailable and they both had the same game on, liverpool and watford
I agree with you mate wouldn't it affect everything and not just certain things suppose we will find out more this weekend tech kings overload again

I'm not against vpn.

I have already explained why/how the phenomenon you describe is possible at:
http://www.techkings.org/threads/hi...ague-stream-servers.120231/page-2#post-776640

Think about it, your iptv supplier has to get his PL feed somewhere, doesn't he, and similarly for other sports/media streams. Because he could not supply you a PL stream while you can watch his other streams, that pretty much concludes that he is a reseller. Clearly his streams did not all come from one single original and legitimate source, and chance is some if not all his streams were resold before they got to him, perhaps multiple times. In the case of PL football, a concerted effort has obviously been made by PL and the ISPs to block the access of servers streaming live games as a consequence of subject court order, so all it took for you not to be able to watch PL live stream, was if e.g. one of the resellers above your iptv supplier did not use vpn and got blocked by that reseller's isp.

I don't think there has been any news of any court order regarding live golf/rugby/cricket broadcast, is there?

It is however well known that many movie/sport channels have been blocked for those who have nothing to circumvent it, see e.g. http://www.ukispcourtorders.co.uk/

The above of course doesn't necessarily mean that all pirated PL/movie streams have been blocked. Unless all "level 1" pirate servers which were redirecting their legitimate feeds to their clients were caught and became unable to supply a feed, someone somewhere should still be able to view such streams.

Cheers!

Sorry to continue this thread if it is now becoming repetative and I have not changed my view that at the moment it is better to sit it out until we have the definative answer whether to use vpn or not (whether to spend money or not). However on reviewing some of the publicity responses to last weeks 3pm block put out by the Football League it is apparent they view the number of blocked streams as the measure of success. I think they quote the figure as about 6000. This is a typical propaganda press release telling the general public BIG BROTHER HAS STOPPED YOU WATCHING ANY FOOTBALL MATCHES IN THE UK AT 3PM ON A SATURDAY!. They are not interested in the slightest that we the under class can/maybe circumvent their blockade via a vpn its irrelevant as it only puts a negative slant on their press release. Therefore as long as this is how they measure their success we are ok. For them to dig deeper, for example address the vpn question or proxy servers would show they are not as successfull as they told everyone. Most large organisations have this mind set, and will only release stories of good news i.e. WE STOPPED THEM. So with this in mind I am hopefull IPTV has a future.

Sorry to continue this thread if it is now becoming repetative and I have not changed my view that at the moment it is better to sit it out until we have the definative answer whether to use vpn or not (whether to spend money or not). However on reviewing some of the publicity responses to last weeks 3pm block put out by the Football League it is apparent they view the number of blocked streams as the measure of success. I think they quote the figure as about 6000. This is a typical propaganda press release telling the general public BIG BROTHER HAS STOPPED YOU WATCHING ANY FOOTBALL MATCHES IN THE UK AT 3PM ON A SATURDAY!. They are not interested in the slightest that we the under class can/maybe circumvent their blockade via a vpn its irrelevant as it only puts a negative slant on their press release. Therefore as long as this is how they measure their success we are ok. For them to dig deeper, for example address the vpn question or proxy servers would show they are not as successfull as they told everyone. Most large organisations have this mind set, and will only release stories of good news i.e. WE STOPPED THEM. So with this in mind I am hopefull IPTV has a future.
At present it's just football there was 5000 streams blocked last week the thing to bare in mind is there's no saying it is the isp that blocking us or whether there going after the source of the stream as some people have said that all there iptv was affected some saying it was just football people like me didn't get blocked and not using vpn and some got blocked then turned their vpn on and all workedso to me it's a bit of cat and mouse as it was only the first weekend of season and only time will tell that's my opinion mate

Dont disagree with you Baz. What I am saying is the news at the moment is the Football League have taken IPTV (football 3pm streams) on via the ISP's and they have told the general public they have given it a 'good kicking' They have probably assessed they cannot eradicate it just make it 'harder to do' which puts many people off. Therefore they would consider this a success. I may be wrong but just watch this space! Next week the Premier League will have larger problems to worry about and the world will continue to revolve.

Dont disagree with you Baz. What I am saying is the news at the moment is the Football League have taken IPTV (football 3pm streams) on via the ISP's and they have told the general public they have given it a 'good kicking' They have probably assessed they cannot eradicate it just make it 'harder to do' which puts many people off. Therefore they would consider this a success. I may be wrong but just watch this space! Next week the Premier League will have larger problems to worry about and the world will continue to revolve.
True but like I said if it ISP's why is it only affecting so many and not everyone I agree with what your saying to me everything they do they seem to do they take as a success but they don't realise when one door closes another opens theres 4 main isp blockers St minuite as you will be aware of it will all unfold soon enough but if there targeting premier league what about championship and all other European football it makes you wonder

Back