How long do you give a contractor to start?

grog68

VIP Member
TK Supporter
OK in June we had a contractor give us a quote to do some work on our driveway and he said he could start in 4 or 5 weeks, and we signed to accept the quote.

5 weeks passed and we heard nothing from them so I sent him a text just asking if he had an update on when they would be able to start, we know the weathers been pants and accept that may cause delays but after a week I had no reply to my text so I phoned the 'office' land line number and the girl said someone would call me back, that was a few days ago and I have had no call back.

Now, as I say, due to weather I accept their could be delays, I also realise it's holiday season and he may of gone away, but if that was the case would the girl not have said they won't be able to call back until next week or something.

The quote I agreed to/signed along with the contractor had no start date on it, how long should I be giving them to get back to me, does the fact I signed the quote put me into a legal agreement with them that I can't get out off or is it just both parties signing to agree the price quoted if the work goes ahead? I just think a courtesy call to update me would have been nice and the fact they don't respond is concerning me.

I have just emailed them to say I am cancelling the order, wait and see if they even respond to that.

How much time to I give them before going elsewhere ?

How good are the genuine reviews of this contractor? If they’re very good and a lot of them, i.e. on proper sites such as checkatrade, then it might be worth waiting for them.

How good are the genuine reviews of this contractor? If they’re very good and a lot of them, i.e. on proper sites such as checkatrade, then it might be worth waiting for them.
I found them via their website, they had checkatrade folder etc but I just searched checkatrade and they didn't appear in the list under the category/area. I have read their google reviews this morning and although most are good, there are a few saying things have gone wrong, driveway dipping etc, and they can't get hold of the company.

I would write an email keep a copy...confirm when you signed contract and you were told abt 5 weeks and that time has passed...put a date when you will hold until and then will need to look elsewhere as you need the work doing...that's giving them time to respond...and also makes it clear what was agreed and u have given them the opportunity/time... in case they decide to do anything abt the contract which they likely won't

I found them via their website, they had checkatrade folder etc but I just searched checkatrade and they didn't appear in the list under the category/area. I have read their google reviews this morning and although most are good, there are a few saying things have gone wrong, driveway dipping etc, and they can't get hold of the company.
It could be that they were taken off checkatrade. I think they get rid of all the firms on there that don’t meet their quality standards.

For the google reviews, I find that the negative reviews are most helpful and more genuine. For the positive reviews, check it’s probably worth ignoring all those that are done by people that have just listed the one review.

As there’s no date on your contact, you could just tell them you’re planning on having the work conducted in 2099 if they ever try to enforce it against you :LOL:

What type of work are you having done out of interest?

It could be that they were taken off checkatrade. I think they get rid of all the firms on there that don’t meet their quality standards.

For the google reviews, I find that the negative reviews are most helpful and more genuine. For the positive reviews, check it’s probably worth ignoring all those that are done by people that have just listed the one review.

As there’s no date on your contact, you could just tell them you’re planning on having the work conducted in 2099 if they ever try to enforce it against you :LOL:

What type of work are you having done out of interest?
Block paved driveway.

I have emailed them saying I am cancelling the order as they have not contacted me or returned my calls and the indicated start time has been and gone.

Keep copies of everything you've sent them and if possible take screenshots of the call log if you called from your mobile - that evidence would be enough to support your testimony. Worst case scenario is probably that the company could take you to the small claims court to recover any costs they've incurred by buying materials for your job after you signed to say you were happy to proceed but I'd say it's highly unlikely.

You have no obligation to them end the contact find another builder . Inform them in writing giving 14 days notice you wish to terminate any agreed woks due to their non communication to start the work.

If your groundsman has not contacted you. A quick letter to the company should end the situation. Problem is finding a different block paver before the weather sets in. If in doubt, wait until spring..

Yeah hate when this happens and you get no communication back 😲 its so frustrating etc.
This type of work obviously has weather related delays but it only takes 2 mins just to message someone or email to explain if there's a hold up. If no money has been handed over in advance for materials etc then just do what's been advised and give them notice and keep all proof that you have tried to resolve the matter but got no explanitory reason back for the delay. 👍

Tell him to forget it, I'd wait until next spring, I thought you were getting an EV?
Might want to get a charging point put in first in case they need to disturb the paving for cables etc

If you can get a good contractor in the next coupe of months crack on look at the weather we have been getting lately. Only path edgings need concreate with block paving normally so frost is not really an issue.

Anygood for you @grog68 he's pretty local aswell mate and seen loads of his advertising signs around on properties he's worked on ok 👍👍👍not sure if he does block paving or not but worth a shot.

Anygood for you @grog68 he's pretty local aswell mate and seen loads of his advertising signs around on properties he's worked on ok 👍👍👍not sure if he does block paving or not but worth a shot.
Not a fan of printed concreate myself and its very expensive compared to block paving.

Tell him to forget it, I'd wait until next spring, I thought you were getting an EV?
Might want to get a charging point put in first in case they need to disturb the paving for cables etc
They are fitting the charging point next week

I'm going back to someone I found on checkatrade back in June, he's popping back over on Friday.

They are fitting the charging point next week

I'm going back to someone I found on checkatrade back in June, he's popping back over on Friday.
Ask if you can see his work in person he will be more than happy if he is genuine. I have done loads of block paving drives as a general builder but i have a super guy i get in to do them never an issue asking an old customer to show someone their drive and a chat.

Personally good communication is alot, no matter how good they are if something goes wrong later on would you feel confident in getting it sorted. Bin them and get someone else

Agreed! The warning signs are there if the comms aren't great before they even start.

Plenty of options, finding a decent one is tricky! Try as much as you can to get recommendations from past customers, a lot of cowboys out there!

Back