Windows Vista how to do a clean install

Linny40

TK LADY VETERAN
now i have my new pc i want to do a clean install on my old pc. However which ever drive i put the disk in it wont read it and all thew tutorials i have read all say you just need to boot from cd. Apparently if ther is a disk in either drive the pc should atuomatically pick it up and ask if you want to to boot from that drive - NOPE! not this ting lol!

I know the F keys can differ depending on machine and mine is a HP Pavillion. I have tried the CD in both drives and tried hitting various keys but just get a blnk screen nothing else. what am i doing wrong.
thanks

what you need to do is set your computer to boot from cd in the bois i have to go out now but will be back in an hour if you look as you are booting up it should tell you what key to press to take you in to the bois /cmos then go to boot set up

linny the default key for most computers is F2, turn on your computer and immediately hit F2 this will bring up your bios screen. - go to "boot options" and set your dvd drive to 1st boot prority setting,insert windows disk and re-boot.
now when you re-boot a black screen will pop up and should read "press any key to boot from disk" and it will start then, when you get the option to install if, choose to re-format the hard drive first as this will wipe all your old stuff from it.

A quote from a google search:

"My laptop is an HP and you need to press F1 to get into setup, and ESC to get into the boot menu."

Either you can set your first boot device to CD/DVD and then change it back after you've completed the install, or you can press ESC whilst booting up the computer, and it should provide you with a list of boot devices to chose from and you wont be altering anything in the bios this way.

Not 100% guaranteed that the keys are accurate but its worth a try. (y)

have a look here linny

Code:
http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

well as usuall lol i have no idea what ive done BUT we are getting there seems like its now loading files from the cd! its upto 80%
will keep ya posted lol!
thanks peeps

well got it up n running again -it even managed to connect ot the net.
FOr some reason still seemed slow yet ther is nothing on it. Still it will sit quitly for now until after christmas when i give it to my neice!

not sure it was connected to internet for some time, not sure how long they woudl take to download etc, but im sure when its turned back on again and connected to the net it will auto do them

that may be what had it slow when you getting it ready to give away give me a shout if you have any more problems

Last edited:
Back