How to put Custom Firmware on Your PSP Console

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
This is a guide and neither Techkings nor I accept any responsibility for any damage caused to your PSP!!

First off you need a pandora battery HERE and a memory card HERE. you don't have to buy them from Deal extreme, they are just someone that I have used and found them good(but a little slow).

I do this in three stages, and it works for me, it probably can be done in less steps, but hey.
you must down load this from mega upload DOWNLOAD, i t contains three folders and they correspond to the three steps below.

Step one:
in this step you will create a magic memory stick, which will downgrade your PSP to 1.5

run the rain mms program and this is what you will see

pspq.png

Instructions:

Have your PSP connected and in USB mode.

1) Extract the 380.PBP and Rain MMS program.

2) Run the Rain MMS program and select the following.

3) Select 3.80 OFW/M33-5 (DCv4) and click load Eboot, and select 380.pbp (downloaded file)

4) Your PSP should be detected at this stage already, check the "format memory stick" box.

5) If you have a Phat PSP then you can select "1.50 Kernal addon installer" Just under the checked box USB version fake plugin.
I repeat if you do NOT have a Phat PSP then do not select the 1.50 kernal add on otherwise you will fry your PSP!!

5) You can leave the defaull trigger button to L(Default).

6) Finally, you can now select "Make MMS", at this stage the program will format your memory stick and create the necessary index with all the files required for the downgrade.

7) Disconnect from PC and remove any batteries inserted in the PSP, and put in the memory stick.

8) Press and hold the "L" button, Carefully put in the pandora battery, make sure it is not taken out until the process is finished.

9) The green light should now come on before (as tested earlier), aswell as the red flashing memory stick light. If the memory stick light does not come on then that means there was a fault in making the memory stick, so you will have to repeat the steps again.

10) The PSP should now display some white text, from memory, you will have to press "X" to install the 3.80 Custom firmware.

11) The downgrading will now begin, alot of text will appear on the screen, rushing down. But dont worry, this is supposed to happen.

12) You will know when the downgrade is succesful when the PSP tells you so!, it will say the downgrade is successfuly press "X" again to restart your PSP

13) Congratulations, you now have a PSP with custom firmware.

step two:
open the step two folder and put the UPDATE Folder IN PSP/GAME Folder on PSP.

Now go to the PSP, Go into the games section of the memory card, and it will be listed there with your other games.

Just hit X on the Update icon and away you go.

Step 3:
In this step you will install the latest custom firmware version to your PSP

- Connect your PSP to your computer using the USB cable.
- Copy the "UPDATE" folder into /PSP/GAME
- Copy the "550.PBP" file into the root of the memory stick(memory stick first page)
- Exit USB Mode And run the "5.50 GEN-D3" from GAME section..
- Press "X" for Enter
- Select "Flash Install CFW 5.50 GEN-D3" and Press "X". Start install.. please wait.
- When install completed press the "X" button to restart automaticly.. done..
- Look at the version : System settings > System informations > Version : 5.50 GEN-D3

- Now..You have to backup your files(high scores, Games, movies, etc.).. And format memory stick from psp "system sttings > format memory stick..

- Now .. Check all your recovery settings..

Configuration >
UMD Mod (currently : Sony NP9660 -NO UMD-)
Use VSHMenu (Currently) : VSHMenu
Use version.txt (corrently) : Enabled
CPU Clock XMB : 222/111 or Default
CPU Clock GAME : 222/111 or Default

- And Play the games..

Thanks must go to Dan-Ger-Ous for his help with this Tutorial. he helped me out when i first tried to put custom firmware on my PSP and this guide has evolved from the thread when I was looking to upgrade my PSP.

If anything is incorrect here or you think that i should add anything to this tutorial, then just let me know.

Last edited:
thanks for the tutorial mate, will be having a go with this next week, my ps3 jailbreak is working :)

downloaded the Fifa 11 game.

cheers dan, couldn't have done it without your help. as you can see the diagram of the MMS maker is one of your pictures.

what firmware should i put on? shall i follow these steps for me t play downloaded games?

giving this a go now as i have got free time, studies are over.

right wheelo im here now got my new memory card and pandora battery fitted in the PSP.

Javed, first off, I don't appreciate this.

Hi Wheelo

i got my pandora battery and memory card with me now. go to the thread and lets take it from there. want to get it done by tonight.

Thanks

If you want some help, just ask, but don't put a timeline on it for me. I am a 40 year old man who works shift work, I got in from work at 2130, and the first thing I want to do is say hello to my wife, maybe sit and chill for a bit.

Second, you have your new memory card and the pandora battery, have you A. charged the pandora battery fully,
and B. have you tried to follow the tutorial yourself?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Javed, first off, I don't appreciate this.

If you want some help, just ask, but don't put a timeline on it for me. I am a 40 year old man who works shift work, I got in from work at 2130, and the first thing I want to do is say hello to my wife, maybe sit and chill for a bit.

Second, you have your new memory card and the pandora battery, have you A. charged the pandora battery fully,
and B. have you tried to follow the tutorial yourself?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

wasnt trying to put a timeline on it, sorry if you took it that way, take your time then. no worries :)

well when i put it in just showing the green light so i assume its fully charged, but i try switching it on and off from the psp and nothing happens :(

have you downloaded the link from the first post?, have you made your magic memory stick?? what have you done from the tutorial???

want to get it done by tonight.

this puts a timeline on it in my book, I tend to look into all the gaming sections when I log in, to see what is new, so no need for a PM at all.

have you downloaded the link from the first post?, have you made your magic memory stick?? what have you done from the tutorial???

this puts a timeline on it in my book, I tend to look into all the gaming sections when I log in, to see what is new, so no need for a PM at all.

ok. going to follow the steps now and see what happens. downloading the file now.

Have your PSP connected and in USB mode

how do i do that? aint got no USB cable to connect PSP to PC

Last edited:
Many USB leads for cameras or external hard drives will work, my PSP cam with a USB lead. If you haven't got on, do you have a card reader that you can read the card from?? if so plug it in, you might need the adapter that comes with the memory card for it to work

ok. going to follow the steps now and see what happens. downloading the file now.

how do i do that? aint got no USB cable to connect PSP to PC

Your are going to need to put the files on the memory tick j4v3d. You'll either need that USB cable to do that, or a memory stick pro-duo adapter IF your system supports that card type.

7) Disconnect from PC and remove any batteries inserted in the PSP, and put in the memory stick.

8) Carefully put in the pandora battery, make sure it is not taken out until the process is finished.

stuck on these steps here, i have the new memory card in my psp and the normal battery. i ran the mms maker, clicked finished put in pandora battery and nothing comes up, just the green light why's that?

stuck on these steps here, i have the new memory card in my psp and the normal battery. i ran the mms maker, clicked finished put in pandora battery and nothing comes up, just the green light why's that?

That would indicate that the pandora memory stick has not been made correctly, please check your steps and try again, sometimes it may take several attempts until it works.

okay, you spotted a flaw in the tutorial, i will fix it shortly, when putting the battery in, press an hold the "L" button, this should get you to the menu

or it could be what Dan says, thanks for keeping me on my toes Dan (y)

make sure it is not taken out until the process is finished.

what process is that? slightly confusing me here now :(

will try it again, do i disconnect from PC then take the usb cable out and hold L and insert the battery? lets try that again lol

okay, so I presume you found a cable, great. the process that is referred to is the whole of the first part of the tutorial(up to step 13), dont take the pandora battery out until then.
you have the magic memory stick made, insert it to the PSP, disconnect the USB, then press and hold "L" and put the battery in

okay, so I presume you found a cable, great. the process that is referred to is the whole of the first part of the tutorial(up to step 13), dont take the pandora battery out until then.
you have the magic memory stick made, insert it to the PSP, disconnect the USB, then press and hold "L" and put the battery in

i start from the front, normal PSP battery in, new mem card in, connected via USB. Run the MMS maker, that is successful, i check the memory card and the files are all there installed. Next i remove the normal psp battery, the psp if off at this stage, then i hold L and insert the pandora battery, keeping hold of L i put it in once in i keep hold nothing comes up, all i can see is the green light lit up

As Dan says, it can be a little tricky, format the memory stick, re-create it and try again, this can take a few times, if it continues like this with no joy, then just plug in the PSP with the Pandora battery in and leave it charging, it might not be charged fully, then you can try again tomorrow.

As Dan says, it can be a little tricky, format the memory stick, re-create it and try again, this can take a few times, if it continues like this with no joy, then just plug in the PSP with the Pandora battery in and leave it charging, it might not be charged fully, then you can try again tomorrow.

i plugged the charger in with pandora battery in and its gone to red, i'll let it charge, give you a break from me nagging at you lol. i appreciate the help. i'll let this pandora battery charge up, weird fat battery lol, shame the PSP battery cover wont go back on :(

must be the pandora battery being dead, making the MMS seems straightforward. thanks lads will try in the morning, see what happens.

Back