Windows Vista How To Remove A Partition In Windows

moh

Deleted, at user's request.
Any help,tutorial or ideas would be great fully appreciated i have searched the net but there are so many suggestions on there that i need some straight up advice from people in the know thanks in advance.

It's improtant to specify which operating system you are dealing with.

I assume in this case it's XP.

Procedure:

Start

Right click "My Computer"

Choose "Manage" from the drop down list

Click on "Disk Management"in the left hand pane

Click once on the partition you wish to delete in the right hand pane

Right click it & choose "Delete".

-

Last edited:
Have just done that G thanks, on the screen its saying after i deleted it that i have 3.73 gb of free space on that partition,now as the pc is old i cant afford to leave this spare gb lying around can i add this spare 3.73 gb to the c drive? thanks again for your help.(sorry meant to add i insatlled xp sp2 but during the insatllation i didnt do a clean install which resulted in i getting a second partition)

Have just done that G thanks, on the screen its saying after i deleted it that i have 3.73 gb of free space on that partition,now as the pc is old i cant afford to leave this spare gb lying around can i add this spare 3.73 gb to the c drive? thanks again for your help.(sorry meant to add i insatlled xp sp2 but during the insatllation i didnt do a clean install which resulted in i getting a second partition)

XP does not have a built in method of merging partitions like Vista does.

You can however use that extra space by making it a second drive letter on your system.

Will you go back through the previous steps as far as Disk Management & tell me what is showing now in the right hand pane?

-

ok ill try and explain as best i can G......

disc 0
basic (C)
14.92 gb ntfs
18.64 gb

across from that box above it says 3.72 gb unallocated (thats the one where i deleted the partion)....cripey i hope im making sence here.

ok ill try and explain as best i can G......

disc 0
basic (C)
14.92 gb ntfs
18.64 gb

across from that box above it says 3.72 gb unallocated (thats the one where i deleted the partion)....cripey i hope im making sence here.

Making perfect sense moh, I just wanted to be sure what I was dealing with.

When you right click that 3.72GB there should be an option to "Format"

If you format that to NTFS it will create another drive letter in "My Computer"

So where it now says 'C' drive, you will see 2 C & another letter.

Once this is done you can use that extra space as normal.

-

G when i right click it im given theses options

new partition
properties
help
these are the options on the drop down list.

G when i right click it im given theses options

new partition
properties
help
these are the options on the drop down list.

Ah! that's right moh, sure we just deleted the old Windows one.

OK, just choose the "New Partition" option & follow the prompts. Just make sure it's NTFS. I can't remember if it will offer to format it during the process but if it doesn't? the right click format option will be available once the new partition is created.

-

ok have done that G now in that box it says

new volume (D)
3.72 GB NTFS
healthy

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

Thanks again for all your help G very much appreciated (y)

ok have done that G now in that box it says

new volume (D)
3.72 GB NTFS
healthy

Right,

So if you go to my Computer you should see the two hard drives C & D along with whatever else you have like a CD/DVD drive.

You can use the new one just like your C.

Now that you have the new Windows installed it would require a program like Partition Magic to put them back together again or even a complete wipe & reformat followed by a full install again.

-

Great stuff G thank you very much for all your time, expertise and effort very much appreciated.

ive tried a similar program myself before like partition magic to merge my partitions but, all data would be deleted if i was to do this.

Would partition magic be able to do this or are they all generally the same?

ive tried a similar program myself before like partition magic to merge my partitions but, all data would be deleted if i was to do this.

Would partition magic be able to do this or are they all generally the same?

Partition Magic is a powerful program & is very good at what it does, however, you have to be very careful with it's usage or you could end up with a brick!

Yes, it will do what you are asking axxxo but if you really wanted to hedge your bets? it would be best to move the data off the partition you wish to move/merge before you start the process. (Maybe onto an external drive).

Some users refer to it as "Partition Tragic" but that is mostly down to incorrect use.

-

Back