How would you reduce noise from washing machine during spin cycle

motin

My washing machine makes incredible noise during spin cycle, otherwise its fine and I don't want to replace it. Is there any way I can reduce this noise?

Making sure the washing machine is level and all four feet are touching the floor helps to reduce noise, Use a level and adjust the front feet by turning them in or out with a wrench, also make sure you dont overload the washer.

also an even load of washing i.e. if you have a full load, dont put all the heavy stuff (jeans, etc.) at the bottom, spread it out.
Secondly, I had a machine that was under a counter and it used to move slightly and touch the sides, my solution was to put a sponge, a cheap thing from the pound shop will do, on either side of the machine, and these acted as a buffer between the machine and the side wall of the press.

as you say its an older machine i think you should check the bearings in the drum are not worn out this can cause lots of noise in the spin cycle. open the machine door with no washing in it and push on the top of the drum and see if its rocking up and down lots.

sounds like the bearings on the drum are on the way out
as they wear there is more play in the drum causing it to shake and vibrate more
eventually it will just stop, they can be costly to replace
but that's the only way to reduce the noise

Making sure the washing machine is level and all four feet are touching the floor helps to reduce noise, Use a level and adjust the front feet by turning them in or out with a wrench, also make sure you dont overload the washer.
Thanks for sharing this valuable information..Keep up the good work.cheers!!

if its the bearings you can get after market ones, just get the serial no and google it, you might also get them of ebay.

never in my life had to change drum brngs and ive used some oldies.like posted earlier it is most likely either the washer needs leveling or the load is imbalanced,tho if it happens every spin i would level the washer.

i had that problem with mine last year, sounded like a plane taking off, it was the bushes that were causing it, my friend bought them £10, fitted them, problem solved, still working now

i had that problem with mine last year, sounded like a plane taking off, it was the bushes that were causing it, my friend bought them £10, fitted them, problem solved, still working now

sorry ment to say brushes

sign of worn bearing seal allowing water into bearing and washing away grease. have a look at back of machine you may find brown stain running down from centre of drum. as previous poster mentions check up and down movement of drum from front of machine. from previous experience it usually involves replacing bearings, seal and in bad cases drum spindle

Just replaced the drum bearings on mine, after 12 months of very loud noise. So quiet now, about 15 quid of ebay and plenty of tutorials on youtube. Good Luck.

Steve

There is a fair possibility it is the bearings making the noise, if it is so then this will progressively get louder as the weeks go by.
Our machine is in the shed which started making a noise whilst spinning, it wasn't too bad to start but after 6 months or so it was so loud we could hear it in the house.

Its not too bad a job to do, depending on machine. There's plenty of videos for various machines on you tube showing you how.
And as above, its now so quiet you can hardly tell that its on.

Had a similar problem due to where machine was floor was uneven, not only would it take off but it also moved out of its area by about a foot. Since moving to a new location due to change of kitchen it still makes a little noise when it has an uneven load of say towels, but yup make sure its level and if need be put something between the unit/wall to cushion it. If tat dont work then could be the bearings etc

Linny is spot on, another thing if you have it under a surface pack the washer down hard between the two to stop it jumping up when spinning, that also helps keep it in the correct position whilst it goes into the spin cycle.

Back