HP ISTART 2380 Desktop RAM upgrade help

madsam106

Hi folks, I am looking at adding some RAM to my desktop PC, it currently has 2 x 512 mb RAM
there are 2 available slots left
Can I add 1 x 1gb RAM stick or does it have to be 2x 512mb?

Buying 1 at 1gb is cheaper than 2 at 512mb but I'm not sure if they have to match

thanks in advance

Sam

no, you can add whatever you like.
However you could really do with at least 4gb of ram if your upgrading. Your best bet would be to remove the two 512mb and replace with 2x 2gb sticks with would then run in dual channel like the two 512mb are now.
If money doesnt permit this then try getting at least another 2gb stick to make upto 3gb ram.
Hope this helps

no, you can add whatever you like.
However you could really do with at least 4gb of ram if your upgrading. Your best bet would be to remove the two 512mb and replace with 2x 2gb sticks with would then run in dual channel like the two 512mb are now.
If money doesnt permit this then try getting at least another 2gb stick to make upto 3gb ram.
Hope this helps
thanks bud, will look for 2gb stick

might be worth putting the 1gb sticks in the slots alredy being used then place the 512mb sticks in the free slots. I would image the two being used already are dual channel so you would want the 1gb sticks running the dual channel.

3gb will run win7 ok but if you have 4 slots 4x2gb would be ideal.this is assuming you have a 64bit os.

Back