I can't get 28e or 30w

fozzer

Hi I get the following sats 0.8w, 9e, 13e, 16e, 19e, 23e with decent signal and quality but I cant get 28e or 30w. I have my box set up with usals. my question is I think my dish or motor is not set right as the further east I go I cant get satellites and the same goes for west. I am using usals at the minute, my dish elevation is 39. my motor elevation is 35 and latitude is 54 any help much appreciated thanks

Hi I get the following sats 0.8w, 9e, 13e, 16e, 19e, 23e with decent signal and quality but I cant get 28e or 30w. I have my box set up with usals. my question is I think my dish or motor is not set right as the further east I go I cant get satellites and the same goes for west. I am using usals at the minute, my dish elevation is 39. my motor elevation is 35 and latitude is 54 any help much appreciated thanks

I'm an old motorised installer. When installing any motorised package in the UK you

I'm an old motorised installer. When installing any motorised package in the UK you use satpointer from your location to Thor 1w as that is the closest sat near vertical. The mounting bracket and clamp pole for the motor must be absolutely solid and vertical in both axis. Then you tell your motor go to zero and clamp it loosely to the pole pointing to 1w with the correct elevation angle on the bracket.

I have my meter attached and load BBC world news frequency. Then I rotate the motor by hand slightly on the pole to I get a lock on BBC...once you get a lock you can fine tune left/right/up/down till you get the strongest signal. Finally tighten the bolts.

Now I check different SATs and channels will lock..if i got the pole vertical then it should rotate correctly across the satellite gestatic arc

Can a dish move that far from left to right?

Yes...and further still. However, the dish needs to be installed professionally so its not obstructed by walls Etc.

It’s all very well banging a dish up but the foundations are important. That pole needs to be dead vertical (use of a spirit level) and a sextant instrument to pinpoint satellites with accuracy for line of sight. IE are there any trees or buildings in the way?

I used to be in the game and I lost count the amount of times I had to go out and correct shoddy work by cowboys.

There are many factors that could cause this issue.....you should ensure you have a clear line of sight, perpendicular pole, dish size, lnb quality, correct long & lat settings in your receiver, dish alignment which is the most likely, but it could also be a combination of these. If your dish is not perfectly aligned, as it tracks the arc in either direction, any minor misalignment will be exaggerated as the motor moves to the extremities of the arc.......as is consistent with the problem you describe.

There are many factors that could cause this issue.....you should ensure you have a clear line of sight, perpendicular pole, dish size, lnb quality, correct long & lat settings in your receiver, dish alignment which is the most likely, but it could also be a combination of these. If your dish is not perfectly aligned, as it tracks the arc in either direction, any minor misalignment will be exaggerated as the motor moves to the extremities of the arc.......as is consistent with the problem you describe.
Last reply was 7 months ago in this thread

Back