image on screen turned 90 degrees

wheelo

Admin
Staff member
TK Supporter
okay guys, I am going to take a shot in the dark, I say this as it is a friends laptop and i haven't seen it yet.

my friend let his wife use his laptop as the kids were on the main PC, she was checking e mail but mainly was on Facebook. when she gave the laptop back to him, the screen was turned 90 degrees anti clockwise. when you move the mouse to the left of the screen the mouse goes to the right, to the top it goes to the bottom, etc.
He is not sure if it is a virus picked up on e mail or a facebook virus, or if it is one of those jokey little apps that can be switched off easily enough.
He has turned the laptop off and back on again, and it is still the same.

Has anyone heard of anything similar??

It's probably the orientation settings in the display settings that has been set to portrait or portrait flipped by accident, just set it to landscape and it should be fine.

Path to change (if windows 7) = Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution

Screen-Resolution.JPG

The settings could also be in whatever graphics card software the laptop is using.

cheers HiTeck, I will try that, as i say i haven't seen this, but i will get back, it is on XP, but i can find display settings on that one (same as my own).

Just tried to change mine, worked it out, now to pass on to my mate, once again cheers HiTeck

I would say that what HiTeck suggested is the culprit. It also makes for a fun prank to turn the screen 180 out. Just a hint if anyone ever does it to you, turn your mouse upside down so the pointer will go the direction you want it to while you change it back. Good luck wheelo.

with my laptop (inspiron 1520 on XP) you use Ctrl + the arrow keys to change it, dont know if it is the same on all PC's.

actually someone mentioned something similar to me the other day - they said the only way to see the screen was to turn it on its side, its something to do with pressing the wrong buttons and as said easily remedied and easily done!

Hi I work in primary school ICT and the little cherubs used to catch us out with this one.
Right click on desktop go to graphic properties then display settings on the right is the Rotation setting set it to 0 then disable it
Regards
John

Hi I work in primary school ICT and the little cherubs used to catch us out with this one.
Right click on desktop go to graphic properties then display settings on the right is the Rotation setting set it to 0 then disable it
Regards
John

lol NOT what i would call them having worked in primary schools lol! its amazing they cant add up but can muck around with a pc and confuse adults LOL!!

Back