Initialising HDD

Looking for some advice, I have initialised my wd hdd on my zgemma box and it records fine and have no issues there. However when I try and plug the hdd into my laptop it doesn't allow me to open the drive. I have a question mark next to the drive letter.

Is this because I have initialised it on the zgemma or shouldn't that make a difference?

I was going to see if I could watch recorded movies on the laptop using the hdd, or is that not possible?

Thanks

Looking for some advice, I have initialised my wd hdd on my zgemma box and it records fine and have no issues there. However when I try and plug the hdd into my laptop it doesn't allow me to open the drive. I have a question mark next to the drive letter.

Is this because I have initialised it on the zgemma or shouldn't that make a difference?

I was going to see if I could watch recorded movies on the laptop using the hdd, or is that not possible?

Thanks

I think the ZGemma formats the drive when you insert it to a different file structure to FAT32 / NTFS so its unreadable on a PC - you'd have to format it again to see it on the PC, but then you would lose your recordings.

Thanks Woodsey, so there's no way I can simply plug it into my laptop to watch the recordings? Could I use openwebif to watch them from my laptop?

You can use an ftp program like filezilla or DCC to connect your box via pc. I believe you can move the recording to pc then.

There is something in kiddac's guide which mentions about this and it says about a fix. Not needed to read it so can't help further other than reading it for you.

I am wrong, well, sort of. The guide tells you how to make the drive accessable from windows again. Not having read until now, it actually wipes the drive and anything on it.

So, personally, I would access your box via you pc. On mine i go to Network and then open the ZgemmaH2S that is showing. I then click hard disk and then movie. I can now copy stuff backwards and forwards to / from the box.

Some people this does not work for and they have to enable Samba share from within the box.

I hope that sort of helps as sn0wman did.

Using FTP to transfer the files is usually slow.

You can use either: ext2explore or Diskinternals Linux reader.

The file structure in your initialised HDD is ext4. You can goggle " View ext4 on windows" to view other software options. Be careful though, there are so many of them that contains virus and malware

Back