Windows 7 Install Any Edition of Windows 7 From Any Windows 7 DVD or ISO

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have a license for Windows 7 Ultimate but only have the Windows 7 Home Premium install media? Do you want to try a different edition of Windows 7 for 30 days without having to buy it first? With a simple trick you can enable a hidden menu that allow you to install any edition of Windows 7 from any Windows 7 installation media. This works on all editions of Windows 7 including Starter, Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate. If you have a 32-bit Windows 7 install DVD you can install any 32-bit edition from it. The same is true for 64-bit installation media.

he secret is the ei.cfg file located in the Sources directory on the installation DVD. If this file exists, the setup program reads the file to identify what edition of Windows 7 to install. If the file is deleted a new menu appears that allows you to select any edition of Windows 7 to install.

The key is deleting the ei.cfg file from the install DVD. You have two choices:

Option 1:

Copy the entire contents of a Windows 7 install DVD to a folder on your computer such as D:\win7install\. Then navigate to the Sources folder and delete ei.cfg. Finally, copy all files and folders in D:\win7install\ to a 4GB USB flash drive formatted with FAT32. Then just boot to the USB flash drive instead of the original install DVD.

Option 2:

The second option is more time consuming and requires third-party tools. Use a program like IsoBuster or other ISO editing tool to create and ISO image of your physical install DVD. Then, use the same program to edit the ISO and delete ei.cfg from the Sources folder and save your changes. Finally, burn the modified ISO.

-

I couldnt find this at first either, but i was using 7 Zip File Manager thinking i would be able to see the contents. Used Magic ISO and located the ei.cfg file in "sources" folder.

i use urlta iso i can see where it should be in the Sources directory i can see all the files just cant find that file

its not really linny iv found it on one dvd win 7 basic but the dvd of ultimate i have i cant find that file it should be there and easy to find

ok so ive made back up copies of win7 as pc and laptop suggested so i just run them (or save them on my hard drive) ( lappy has 2 disks pc has 3) and look for that file and delete it, then save the copy again. Is that right or am i missing summit
sorry it has to be spelt out to me lol! i get confused.com

whne you buy a new pc now it doesnt give you any installer disks but tells you to back up the origional my acer gave me 3 blanks, but the vaio lappy didnt give me any but said i'd need 2 blanks. copied the disks as both machines suggested but not checked to see what is on them tbh

Back