Install motor onto existing zone 2 pole mount?

I've bought a Technomate 2600 motor and I'm planning to motorise my existing Triax 80cm dish.

The dish currently sits on a 35mm pole mount belonging to my old zone 2 minidish picking up 0.8w.

Would the zone 2 pole be suitable to support both the motor and Triax dish?

If not I'm thinking on getting an 'L' shaped mount. They seem a bit more straight forward than 'T&K' brackets. Unless there's a particular reason why T&K's are vastly superior?

After years of multi LNB use this will be my first time going motorised. I have patience, so if any mistakes are made I don't mind getting back up the ladder to correct things and it'd be great to check back in here and share my experience and maybe pick up some tips along the

I'd also like to know are motors compatible with unicable LNB's?

With T.k brackets you have more scope to
Get your brackets exactly 90°You need to
Be at least 0.1 ° of 90° are you will not track
The geographical ark Correctly From east to
west You need 50mm pole T.k set with slots
Instead of pre drilled holes 50mm u bolts
Depending what type of brick cement your
Drilling into I would use 12mm plugs or 10mmplugs with 13mm coach screws The
Use of some toggle bolts will not tighten correctly When your using USAL.the built in
Settings with in your reciever If you don't get
Everything totally 90° you will struggle
This is where people go totally wrong when
Installing a motorisied satellite system

Just to add you can either install the satellite motor satellite dish in the middle
Between the brackets or at the top of the
Pole if your installing above the guttering

I'm thinking I could try and install it on the zone 2 pole first and see how it goes.

If it doesn't work out, well that's the beauty of DIY as there'll be nothing lost and then I could try something else.

Will the zone 2 pole be strong enough to support both the dish and motor without anything bending or breaking?

Well it's up now, with the dish on the pole. Although this is by no means the finished job, I just wanted to have a play with it. The plan will be to buy some T and K's over the coming days, to finish the job off properly.

I faced it towards 0.8w. I wasn't sure whether to keep the dial exactly at zero and ended up turning it slightly towards "1" (for 0.8w).

I coupled the motor to the dish first, before, together, putting them onto the pole. I tried to attach them as straight as possible but, afterwards, noticed the dish veers off very slightly towards the east.

Entered my longitude and latitude and, similar to expectations, the dish was stopping just after each sat, when moving further east.

Resorted to DISEqC 1.2 and got some better results. Successfully saved all the popular satellites between 30w to 28e.

I've been using this dish for a year, hand steering it on a number of occasions between the satellites, so, I already know exactly what it picks up and what kind of SNR I'm capable of receiving on the various birds.

I noticed most of the available sats, bar 30w, which is perfect, have a slightly lower SNR than I usually get. Should I put that down to the pole or the dish not being perfectly straight, even though I'm using 1.2? I've tried fine tuning but still unable to get them quite as high.

I'm also unable to pick up anything east of Astra 2. I normally have no problem with 39e and 42e. Albeit they do like a lot of LNB skew, which I'm not quite sure they're getting right now? I was getting 80% SNR on 42e last week during my not so successful attempts to open S Sport.

Enjoying that kid at Christmas with a new toy feeling atm. Hope the neighbours aren't too put out by the noise it's making!

Last edited:
Before you even fit your motor to the pole
Set it at 0 by connecting it to your Reciever
with your satellite cable When the reciever
Has powered up The green light indicator
Should be on at the motor Then use the
Manual east west buttons to line the motor
Up to zero
You didn't say what type of satellite reciever
You are using This is a guide for 1.2 stored
Positions

STAGE 1.

GOTO Main Menu \ Setup \ Service Searching \ Tuning
Press "OK" on "TUNER A"

Use L/R keys to change Configuration Mode to "advanced"
Move down to "SATELLITE"
Use L/R keys to select the satellite you want to add

Go down to "LNB"
Use L/R keys to select "LNB 1"
Next ensure "Diseqc Mode" is " 1.2"
(I left the others at the default setting's)
Scroll further down to "LOF" and set it to "Universal LNB" using the L/R keys

Underneath that set "Use USALS" for this satellite to "no" using L/R keys
Go down to "Stored position"
Set the position you want to for this satellite to appear at using L/R keys ie 001, 002 etc and press ok
Then Press "OK" to save the info you have inputted.
You will need to perform this for each Satellite position you intend to set up. Before you got to positioner setup.

STAGE 2.
GOTO back to Main Menu \ Setup \ Service Searching \ Positioner Satfinder
Go down to "Satfinder"
Press

Press ok on Satfinder next picture

Using L/R keys select "Predefined or Manual transponder" as required
Go down to "Satellite" and use the L/R keys to select the Satellite to place at the above Storage postion
Press "OK"
When you have a lock exit this screen
GOTO back to Main Menu \ Setup \ Service Searching \ Positioner setup

Press ok on positioner setup next picture
Go up to "Tune"
Press the "Red Button"
Select the satellite that you had a lock on, change the transponder so it was the same as in the satfinder picture

Go down to "Positioner storage"
Use L/R keys to set the postion number that is to be setup
Press the GREEN button to store that location
After you have stored this position got back to satfind and change the satellite to the next one you want to view, when you have a lock on this satellite exit again and proceed with the satellite positioner again .
You will need to perform this for each position you intend to set up in line with what you did in stage 1

TUNER SETUP

STORED POSITION

Made some big progress last night. Straightened up the dish and LNB, which had been skewed, and everything now from 5w to 52e is coming in with high strength SNR.

I've lost 30w but I can get it back if I elevate the dish by loosening the bolts and tilting it back a bit, but that decreases my SNR on the Eastern satellites.

Made some big progress last night. Straightened up the dish and LNB, which had been skewed, and everything now from 5w to 52e is coming in with high strength SNR.

I've lost 30w but I can get it back if I elevate the dish by loosening the bolts and tilting it back a bit, but that decreases my SNR on the Eastern satellites.
Having to adjust your dish would point to something not being plumb
Most likely your pole mount.

Bit confused about the dial on the motor. The instruction manual was a bit vague.

Should it be left at zero or does it need adjusting depending on which satellite you initially align the dish with?

Eg. If initially aligning the dish at 0.8w.
Should dial be on 0 or closer to 1?

Or if initially aligning the dish at 5w.
Should dial be on 0 or 5?

Bit confused about the dial on the motor. The instruction manual was a bit vague.

Should it be left at zero or does it need adjusting depending on which satellite you initially align the dish with?

Eg. If initially aligning the dish at 0.8w.
Should dial be on 0 or closer to 1?

Or if initially aligning the dish at 5w.
Should dial be on 0 or 5?
Should be on 0 mate that then allows for true south. Best to disable usuals so it does not move till you fine tune in 0.8w

Before you install the motor onto the pole
Connect it to your Reciever Set to 0° using
The manual east west buttons Download
The true compass app Which will also
Provide you with your correct Longitude and latitude for your location Install the motor
onto the pole Hold your phone with the true
Compass app beside the motor Move the
Motor until it is facing 180° south Fit your
Satellite dish Make sure the satellite motor satellite dish are square and in line with
True south

Cheers will give this a try.

Which begs the question what is the dial actually for? I'm assuming it's for people who don't have a LOS of true south, right?

Thats correct If you have a signal meter
You can line up to the main focus transponder 0.8°west Then move 2°west true south Then use USALS to move to 0.8west Make the necessary adjustments To maximize the s.n.r

Enter you details into this calculator site
Look at the diagram at the bottom shows
The exact position from true South to 0.8° west

s://satlex.de/en/azel_calc.html

Spoke to a company today about T&K brackets. I was told the 18" brackets I'd been looking at would only give me a 14" standoff as the pole isn't placed at the end of the bracket. Is this correct?

There's nothing on any of the online listings which suggests an 18" bracket wouldn't give me anything less than eighteen inches of standoff.

The arm length will be 18” but the stand off length for the pole is always going to be less as the slotted holes for the U bolts will be drilled to give a pole centre about 15” from the wall.

18" T&K Stand Off Wall Bracket
Length (Back)305 x 305 mm
Length (Arms)457 mm
Stand Off390 mm
V Bolts Required2.5" x 3/8"
Bolt Fixings RequiredM8 X 50 mm or M8 x 80 mm

Last edited:
The arm length will be 18” but the stand off length for the pole is always going to be less as the slotted holes for the U bolts will be drilled to give a pole centre about 15” from the wall.

18" T&K Stand Off Wall Bracket
Length (Back)305 x 305 mm
Length (Arms)457 mm
Stand Off390 mm
V Bolts Required2.5" x 3/8"
Bolt Fixings RequiredM8 X 50 mm or M8 x 80 mm
What about whet motor is attached would that now not take dish to roughly 18" from wall ?

Back