Satellite Internal HDD -won't initialise, won't record when initialised as EXT4

firewire

Hello all

I am hoping someone might be able to help me with a persistent issue that I have failed to resolve or find a post of relevance.

My Zgemma H7S is running OpenVix 5.4009.

I have added a Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB but it will not initialise

So far I have tried.
  • Formating on a PC as ExFAT and FAT32 and attempted to initialise using the Setup > Storage. It fails at 88% each time
  • Re-flashed the Zgemma, repeated above and got the same result
  • Formated that drive on a PC as EXT4 using Partition Wizard - Installed and mounted in the Zgemma - Recording took place, is available in the File list, but will not playback i.e. no audio, constant freezing, difficult to exit the recording.
I am at a loss as to what to try next.

The drive appears to be working fine on a PC, but not in the Zgemma box - could it be that the BarraCuda is not suitable for this DVR application?

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it. Unfortunately, I don't have another drive to try in the unit at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

What recordings are you trying to play? Normal FTA satellite / terrestrial or IPTV.
Is the drive internal or USB?

Format on windows pc fat 32 first.

Insert into box and do a format and initialize and see what happens and you have cables on hdd connected correctly on board and in drive.

Different method i always use would be.

Install Minitool Partition on you PC
Hook up the HDD and format to ext4
Put the drive back in the box and just mount it no need to initialise it.

Different method i always use would be.

Install Minitool Partition on you PC
Hook up the HDD and format to ext4
Put the drive back in the box and just mount it no need to initialise it.
Done this as well, and got the same result. Have tried a few different formating methods for Ext4 - every one of these results is glitchy playback on recordings.

UPDATE
Using a SATA HDD to USB 3.0 cable, I plugged the HDD into the USB port on the back of the receiver.
The drive initialised with no issues and recording are fine on playback

I unmounted it and inserted it into the HDD bay in the receiver. After a restart, the Drive mounted without issue, but the playback of recordings is glitchy once again.

If I had a second HDD to try, I'd attempt it, however, I am suspecting it is the unit itself or could it be the OS?

Your not having much luck with this are you. Buy another HD from fleabay (a sky box and take it out - can be had for under a tenner, I bought one on Saturday for £1 and it was a 500gb hd)
And try again, good luck.

As an aside, I don't know what kind/type of shows you are recording but nowadays most shows are repeated over and over again if you know where to look.

Your not having much luck with this are you. Buy another HD from fleabay (a sky box and take it out - can be had for under a tenner, I bought one on Saturday for £1 and it was a 500gb hd)
And try again, good luck.

As an aside, I don't know what kind/type of shows you are recording but nowadays most shows are repeated over and over again if you know where to look.
They are the 7mm HHD that is needed for this.

Recording mostly Terrestrial programmes News and Current Affairs.

UPDATE
Using a SATA HDD to USB 3.0 cable, I plugged the HDD into the USB port on the back of the receiver.
The drive initialised with no issues and recording are fine on playback

I unmounted it and inserted it into the HDD bay in the receiver. After a restart, the Drive mounted without issue, but the playback of recordings is glitchy once again.

If I had a second HDD to try, I'd attempt it, however, I am suspecting it is the unit itself or could it be the OS?
Unlikely to be the OS. As I said I think it may be the board where the HDD plugs into it, could be a bit if dodgy solder.
If it works via USB port just leave it at that

Back