iptv not impressed

thought id check out this iptv so got a months sub from my prresent cable supplie..anyway im not that impressed by the qaulity..it seems like that they are streams and not genuine full HD broadcasts. For example sly sports HD are not very smooth when watching football or cricket. It seems like the framerate is way to low and you get this jerkiness when watching , any non action programs seem fine but HD not what i expected..thught it would be as HD is supposed to be ..i suppose better then nothing lol...

There are some great suppliers about,What box are you using,Broadband speed ect ect have a lot to do with it.

dont think its the server..been with this guy for many years...top bloke, knows his stuff...private seller...i think that is how iptv works..they are not genuine streams like you get with a legit sky or virgin sub....im watching cricket at the moment with virmin cable cs and i have iptv installed side by side the sd broadcast on virmin cs is better then the same channel on iptv sky sports HD whic is not smooth...it doesnt freeze or glitch, just not real HD..ive got 150meg virmin broadband direct connection into my vu+duo2

at he moment on iptv channel sky sports HD Main event im watching cricket...the picture info i get is 1280x720p @ 25fps...

Last edited by a moderator:
Same channel on here.....1280x720p @25fps and it's as clear as day. Near perfect HD for me. Miles better than what SD c/s on Sat used to give me.

Something is wrong in your setup if you think that's not HD. Smooth as silk on my TV.

some devices seem to cope better with the streams than others irrespective (to an extent) of specs.

openbox vx (2 gb ram) running perfect player does very well for the money.

same streams on other devices dont look quite as good.

tbh if i sold all the devices in this house ive messed about with i could probably retire :grin:

what i mean is its clear as day but dont you notice that its not smooth scrolling, for example when the bowler is bowling or the player is chasing the ball in the outfield the action is somewhat not very smooth...?..what player are you using ? ie plugin ?...

yeah but if you change channel over to say, bt sport 2HD that is showing 1920x1080p 25fps.....even that is not smooth scrolling...if i flick over to my virgin CS and the same channel because that is not gone yet...its absolutely perfect no problems whatsoever...dont think its the server, definatley the way iptv works...as my duo2 is more then capable of handling iptv...ill drop a message to my supplier..thanks

"it seems like that they are streams and not genuine full HD broadcasts"

that's no mere appearance...

a lot of providers sources ultimately came from a virgin line. since their HD went bollix up many providers have struggled to get back upto FHD, or are unwilling to pay more for them at least.

also very unlikely yer man ran his own sources. just about every named IPTV provider rents their streams from wholesale providers who simply wont bother dealing with individuals. and they charge more for better streams on faster, less congested servers.

my guess is the better streams now cost more as there is a paid for sub behind them as opposed to a few £ a month card share on virgin.

I would put the jerkiness down to the frame rate - 25fps is not going to be as smooth as 50/60. If you check your cable c/s channels framerates I bet they're 50/60

AFAIK UK HD broadcasts as ~25fps as standard.

its much lower than eg US HD broadcasts.

you could mess around with video settings and set a multi frame rate, and try setting the stream type to IPTV instead of the box's DVB standard

Iptv is never going to be as good as cable cs that’s just the way it is, your getting a stream of a captured image that is being compressed on the fly. That being said it’s not bad but if you’re used to cable it’s noticeable I’m going through the same pain myself I haven’t got the flickering problem but it’s just not the same. Once more channels go I’m going back to sky (don’t hate me I’m weak) but for now I’m putting up with it. Of course if your watching on a small screen tv like a 43 inch you won’t notice as much.

No unfortunately you cannot change the framerate. Your stb is probably already outputting at 1080p/50 or 60 but the stream is encoded at 25fps.

Difference between US and UK is or was 10fps. UK was 50 to match the domestic mains electricity frequency. However with the advent of flat lcd/led/oled tv's, the higher the framerate the better.

Basically on IPTV @ 25fps you're losing at least half the framerate which is why it will look jerky as it's missing every other frame.

some devices seem to cope better with the streams than others irrespective (to an extent) of specs.

openbox vx (2 gb ram) running perfect player does very well for the money.

same streams on other devices dont look quite as good.

tbh if i sold all the devices in this house ive messed about with i could probably retire :grin:
Not just me who's got cupboards full of them

Even with genuine IPTV with Sky on their Now Tv Box any sport with a
Fast moving ball Cricket/Football/Golf/Rugby when ball kicked etc you always
Get a slight ball trail/trace which you never got or get with c/s or Normal Tv broadcasts
Only with IPTV that's the way it is!! it doesn't matter what size of screen you view
it on apart from that...quality in HD is very good in my opinion.

We have 2 very good providers and must say some of the le sport streams I've seen are on par with VM HD!

Even with genuine IPTV with Sky on their Now Tv Box any sport with a
Fast moving ball Cricket/Football/Golf/Rugby when ball kicked etc you always
Get a slight ball trail/trace which you never got or get with c/s or Normal Tv broadcasts
Only with IPTV that's the way it is!! it doesn't matter what size of screen you view
it on apart from that...quality in HD is very good in my opinion.
i was looking in to this the other day to a point that sd on vm was a lot better than most hd streams(except lesports)
but what i did see was the better streams was either 1080p50hz or the 720 50hz, those set at 1080p24 hz was rubbish and display what you say
i did try a few thing, one was using the autores and force the 1080p24 to 1080p50, did see a slight improvement, i also lowered my stb to 720p50 and noticed a bigger improvement, something you could try and see if it makes your viewing better

Reactions: PCM
yeah but if you change channel over to say, bt sport 2HD that is showing 1920x1080p 25fps.....even that is not smooth scrolling...if i flick over to my virgin CS and the same channel because that is not gone yet...its absolutely perfect no problems whatsoever...dont think its the server, definatley the way iptv works...as my duo2 is more then capable of handling iptv...ill drop a message to my supplier..thanks

I use Smart IPTV app on my sony TV, picture is smooth, my sound quality is louder than with my box, I just assumed it was because I didn’t need a box, but I understand what you mean about the fluid motion when a ball is hit for instance, I get that with my Samsung TV, it kind of blurs a little when the camera follows the ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back