Is this likely ?

SG8

I bought a car a while back, which came with a hands-free kit installed, but the cigar lighter socket does not work. Is it likely that when they installed the hands free kit, they took the power connection from the cigar lighter socket ??

I could do without the car kit, (and upgrade my phone!) if I could use the cigar lighter socket for my sat nav (with bluetooth for hands free phone operation).

have you check the fuse if you can get a loan of a lighter from a mates car if that work its only that bit you need or try you sat nav in it and see is there power

Many times a blown fuse is the cause for that. I would check for the appropriate fuse first as Hadmad suggested.

I bought a car a while back, which came with a hands-free kit installed, but the cigar lighter socket does not work. Is it likely that when they installed the hands free kit, they took the power connection from the cigar lighter socket ??

I could do without the car kit, (and upgrade my phone!) if I could use the cigar lighter socket for my sat nav (with bluetooth for hands free phone operation).

I'd imagine that even if they did they would have tapped of the lighter feed but not moved it?

More than likely a fuse (as suggested) or sometimes certain types of lighter plugs that come with third party items (Sat Nav) don't marry correctly with some car lighter sockets.

Does anything you have work in the socket?

-

Thanks for the replies,

I checked the fuses and they seemed ok (might check again though), nothing else works in the cigar lighter socket either.

it may be the socket is burned out it does happen take socket out and check power going to it it comes out easy in most cars

it may be the socket is burned out it does happen take socket out and check power going to it it comes out easy in most cars

I hate taking anything out in a car, (even the mats!!) the cigar socket is in a pop-out thingy so if i pop it out it might not pop back in again, but will have a go and let ye know.

Nice collection of cups! :grimacing:

That compartment come out real easy.

When in the open position, close down the flap & there should be two tabs at the back of the compartment near the dash & if you apply downwards pressure it should pop out. You may be able to access the lighter socket connection from the underside.

-

Nice collection of cups! :grimacing:

That compartment come out real easy.

When in the open position, close down the flap & there should be two tabs at the back of the compartment near the dash & if you apply downwards pressure it should pop out. You may be able to access the lighter socket connection from the underside.

-

Nice car as well but that is not mine!! found that pic on the web and is close to what mine is like!!

Nice car as well but that is not mine!! found that pic on the web and is close to what mine is like!!

See Picture:

glovebox.jpg

-

first check the fuse.not likely they would butcher the wiring like that.note that when checking a fuse,check both sides in case there is no power to the fuse.this is unlikely but worth eliminating.

first check the fuse.not likely they would butcher the wiring like that.note that when checking a fuse,check both sides in case there is no power to the fuse.this is unlikely but worth eliminating.

he has already checked the fuse aldan

What make/ model of car is it and the Sat nav can be hardwired into car electrics byany competent Auto mechanic . Sometimes excessive dirt or corrosion in the lighter assembly can give error in connection and it is unlikely lighter was disconnected for the Hands freekit installation.

for some reason our charger works in the misses ciggy thing but not in mine, yet the cig lighter does actually work in mine, could be as what kiri says, may need a good scrub :)

Can you reach behind that socket and locate the two wires that should be on there. Then check to see if one has a 12v and the other should have a good ground. If you do not have the 12v or the ground, then trace the particular wire back to the source.

Back