Issues with PIA VPN

malct

I use a VPN to watch youtube without the adverts by selecting Albania and have recently changed from Surfshark to PIA VPN and i have to say , Its useless , Biggest issue that i have, You cannot select a country on the App that allows the VPN to start from and to go direct to my country of choice and when i do select the country of choice , It will change over to another country. Once it settles in after 5 minutes its fine, But its a pain when you have to select Albania and then go to youtube and you get adverts , So i then need to go back and repeat the process until it stays on Albania .. Surfshark wasn't a problem.. Maybe its because PIA is cheap and you get what you pay for...

I'm using a pia subscription this time since I've already had Nord via quidco and I'm not a fan, the VPN seems to keep dropping off and not auto connecting back unless prompted.

I'm using a pia subscription this time since I've already had Nord via quidco and I'm not a fan, the VPN seems to keep dropping off and not auto connecting back unless prompted.
I have used PIA for several years now and not noticed that tbh.
But I only use when iptv is being blocked or for torrents which is rare.
Never had any issues disconnecting when I have been using it for iptv though.
I have used it for YouTube on my iphone abroad occasionally and not had any issues either.
I use SmartTube on my android device at home so don’t use it with that.

I use a VPN to watch youtube without the adverts by selecting Albania and have recently changed from Surfshark to PIA VPN and i have to say , Its useless , Biggest issue that i have, You cannot select a country on the App that allows the VPN to start from and to go direct to my country of choice and when i do select the country of choice , It will change over to another country. Once it settles in after 5 minutes its fine, But its a pain when you have to select Albania and then go to youtube and you get adverts , So i then need to go back and repeat the process until it stays on Albania .. Surfshark wasn't a problem.. Maybe its because PIA is cheap and you get what you pay for...
It should stay on the country you last selected, unless it's set to automatic.

I have both PIA & Nord, personally Nord is the winner for me, it’s fast stays connected all the time, and when my connection drops (mobile phone) it reconnects no issues, I’m considering trying another provider, when PIA is up just to keep the comparisons going.

Generally it’s consider insecure now, not many providers support it now, but PPTP is the main reason I stick with Nord, does anyone know of another provider which supports PPTP? My router doesn’t current support openVPN unfortunately.

I am looking for a New VPN and i will keep PIA for a spare , Luckily i only paid £5 via Top Cash back , So its not the end of the world, But i could do with a good discount code for Nord or Surfshark..

Generally it’s consider insecure now, not many providers support it now, but PPTP is the main reason I stick with Nord, does anyone know of another provider which supports PPTP? My router doesn’t current support openVPN unfortunately.
I use OpenVpn transport TCP with PIA and it gives me the best speeds for some reason over WireGaurd. Read that WireGaurd should achieve higher speeds over OpenVpn.

I don’t mean the protocols within the app, I’m talking about building the VPN into my router and routing specific traffic on my LAN, via the VPN tunnel, you can do with with either PPTP or OpenVPN if your router supports it. My router only support PPTP and this is considered a a weak encryption type now over SSL or IPSEC etc.

Went to use pia today on my shield, despite the app being installed it isn't visible unless I open it via settings on my shield.

I have both PIA & Nord, personally Nord is the winner for me, it’s fast stays connected all the time, and when my connection drops (mobile phone) it reconnects no issues, I’m considering trying another provider, when PIA is up just to keep the comparisons going.

why don't you not just put nord onto your devices rather than using PPTP I would say that is not very secure . I use tplink deco m4 devices those are the same you limited vpn options.

why don't you not just put nord onto your devices rather than using PPTP I would say that is not very secure . I use tplink deco m4 devices those are the same you limited vpn options.
Yeah I have done in the past, in fact they are probably on the devices and working, but generally it’s more for peace of mind, I don’t need to ask the wife to do an extra step before watching the TV, this way it’s always connected without the need for any manual invention 👍.

Pia works perfectly for me and have used it for years on my E2 box and on Windows laptop. I use vpn manager on E2 and it always connects to the last server I selected so not sure what your issue is.

Yeah I have done in the past, in fact they are probably on the devices and working, but generally it’s more for peace of mind, I don’t need to ask the wife to do an extra step before watching the TV, this way it’s always connected without the need for any manual invention 👍.
no need to do extra step just have vpn running all the time thats why i changed from openvpn to wireguard you get virtually no speed loss

no need to do extra step just have vpn running all the time thats why i changed from openvpn to wireguard you get virtually no speed loss
What router, device and vpn are you using.
When I use wireguard on PIA with the virgin hub 3 I lose about 100mb of download speed.
When I use OpenVpn TCP I lose about 15mb of download speed.
Wireguard does have slightly better upload speed.

What router, device and vpn are you using.
When I use wireguard on PIA with the virgin hub 3 I lose about 100mb of download speed.
When I use OpenVpn TCP I lose about 15mb of download speed.
Wireguard does have slightly better upload speed.
virgin media hub 5 but i use it in modem mode with deco mesh system i do lose some speed about 45Mbit/s
but what I was really refering to in on enigma2 devices connected via ethernet on zgemma combo I was getting faster speeds when using openvpn udp 80mb and that only has 100mb ethernet but on gigablue quad uhd 4k dual cpu i was only getting up to about 50 mb on 1 gb ethernet port i put that down to the quad cpu on the zgemma h9combo at the time i was on 200mb virgin connection.
now i am on 350 mb connection and i am getting 303Mbit/s on the gigablue via wireguard I have not used openvpn since wireguard plugin came out in 2022
I use surfshark vpn

Attachments

• Gigablue_speedtest.png
    Gigablue_speedtest.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 2
I lose almost all my speed. It gives me enough to watch TV. I get 1.2gb all day long. VPN on I get between 80-100mb

I've tried openvpn and wire guard. Not to worried but unsure why 😂

Using Vodafone ultra hub.

Had a decent WiFi 6e Netgear router I won second hand on eBay. Won it for far less than it's worth was a bargain. Think they were £300 on Amazon or just under and bought it for £100. They said it was a few weeks old and they couldn't get it to work

Used it for a few months and was awesome for me.

My lad started saying I can't play anything online on the ps5 or Xbox series x it glitches out.

Went to watch what he meant and the whole game while online was glitching really bad.

Then the missus said oh yes can't watch anything on BBC iPlayer without glitching badly .

I'd been away with work for two weeks

Went to reset the router and as I reached around the back it was boiling hot the whole unit it sat on top of was boiling could smell the wood getting hot. Fan was spinning its nuts off.

Unplugged it. Took it apart and clearly something had been dropped on it was stains all over the board inside

Tried cleaning it up but nothing worked. Must of been dropped on it before I bought it. Wasn't my lot the routers out the way.

Probably why it was alot cheaper than it was worth. Only had it Few months

So bought this Vodafone ultra hub off a mate bnib for £30 save paying the £10 a month extra Vodafone want for it.

Back