iTunes - iPod Sorting

Gman496

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone have a good guide or tips on how best to sort music (method/approach) in iTunes prior to Syncing it with a new iPod?

Alternatives are not an option as the end user wants to use iTunes.

-

it can be time consuming and requires a little patience at first - I set my own up through trial and error Gman,Took me a while to master but was very well worth the end effect.

I have done a few friends Ipods since and found some interesting shortcuts on the way.

Step 1

organise all your music in seperate folders(Artist name and Album name for each) Place all folders in a named folder and location of your choice.

Step 2

Create another folder named "album Covers" on Your desktop or preferred location.

Step 3

Go on-line and google "images" - Copy and paste each individual folders name into the search bar,choose image around the 500 x 500 size) this seems to be about the best size for clarity and uniformity.
Save "image as" - again paste Artist name and album title and save to album covers.

Step 4

when all is finished, open up "Album Covers" in a small window and open up your music folder in another small window. simply drag and drop the corresponding image to its music folder.

Load your completed music folder into your itunes and voila you should be sorted! Itunes should now have images for each album.
if there is a dark image of a musical note, this will mean either no image loaded or is part of a compilation.

compilations might be scattered around as individual songs in your itunes, this can be fixed by right clicking the individual song. choose "info" and in the bottom corner there is a checkbox for compilations.

i know it seems long winded, but now it takes me about an hour and a half to put one together.
My Own ipod touch has 145 albums all done this way and it looks like a rollodex of albums - Truly impressive!

Hope this helps Gman.

Last edited:
Thanks Knotaclu,

I have 1600 + albums on this guy's machine and have all the housekeeping done on the PC folders, so, that end is sorted.

It's after the import to iTunes, it seems to have a mind of it's own as to how it categorizes everything??

Is it by creating Playlists / Smart Plylists within iTunes thereafter? or what is the best method after they're all in iTunes?

-

AAaahhhhhhh ! Sorry Gman.
When you load up your albums, go to the view / Sort Albums you can choose from By Title, Artist, Genre e.t.c. also can sort albums ascending/descending
then connect ipod and Sync.....(y)

It must be the way I worded it :grin:

Really what I'm looking for is the easiest method for re-arranging music in iTunes when you're not happy with the way iTunes categorized it.....!

-

all i do is make a new playlist, i have one with my name and one for the misses, i dump whatever music i like into my one and vice versa, i always do syncing manually so it doesnt get mixed up.
i think the biggest problem is having artists and albums sorted before they are placed into itunes, it is however and without doubt the most annoying and unuser friendly application in this world!

:) Could be me too Gman, it is monday after all
Hows about edit/preferences and either check or uncheck the box "keep itunes folder organised"
Quote : places files into album and artist folder,and names the files based on the disc number,track number,and the song title
3rd times a charm Gman??? LOL
hope this is it.

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 PM ----------

any other info regarding genre,date, e.t.c would depend on the amount of descriptors that have been added to each individual entry....

have to agree with you Axxxo....Definitely not user friendly...
Good luck with any way you organise it Gman..
LOL might even show us a thing or two!

Back