I've mad a mess of my PC install ubuntu alongside my windows 10 OS

Janso

TK Veteran
I wanted to install ubuntu alongside my windows 10 OS, and I went about trying to sort out my storage the way the guides I looked at told me to. I used a tool (the name of which I can't remember and obviously can't look at now) to merge two partitions as I created one in error and then it told me it had to restart to perform the action.

Basically I now can't see anything on screen after rebooting. I've googled it but all of the things I found tell me what to do while actually being able to see anything on screen, which is obviously not going to happen...

I do have the windows 10 disc but I don't know what I can actually do with the screen not showing anything.

Can anyone help me here? Even if it means wiping my laptop. I just want to be able to use it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay small update - I put it onto my tv screen via hdmi with the recovery disc in, but all I get is a continuous loop of "preparing automatic repair" and "diagnosing your PC".

Left this running for about 20 minutes but nothing happened so obviously this wasn't actually repairing anything.

does the laptop have a backup image on a hidden partition that you can get to via a key combination on the boot screen, usually they do these days.. search for your laptop model and factory restore from boot on google and you should get some results showing you how to do it.. that's unless you wiped the hidden partition which it would have been stored on

Has the ubuntu install put it's own bootloader on that's overwritten the windows bootloader?
You can use bootice to write a new windows bootloader. You may need to do a bit of googling, it's years since I used it for that.

just put your windows 10 disc in and boot it from dvd, on some laptops you will need to press F10 or F12 key on your keyboard to see a boot menu
select boot from DVD
setup windows from the disc do a fresh install

I didn't get as far as installing ubuntu willo, would it still help to do that?

Jagsy, it does have a backup partition but as I say I can't actually get past this repair screen to do anything and I don't know how to change that.

Biff - I do have my disc in, but as I say... the screen is black on its own and stuck in repair loop if I put it to my TV. So I can't do anything.

I have managed to get into my BIOS but I can't see the recovery CD on the boot section.

I can't say for sure because everything's changed since my day. PC's used to have a MBR that tells the BIOS which is the bootable partition. (usually first partition of first hard disk).
Now there are UEFI BIOS's and hidden partitions etc and I really don't know much about them.
I would try googling 'UEFI not booting' and see if that comes up with any answers.
If you don't have any luck, you will always be able to reinstall from scratch if you have your product code.

The lass on the Microsoft live chat seems to think the only thing I can do is create a recovery tool on a USB drive, so I'll have to go out and get one. Hopefully that'll sort it for me, otherwise I'm left with an expensive paperweight...

Where might I find my product code?

I have managed to get into my BIOS but I can't see the recovery CD on the boot section.

Is there anything there about boot order so you can put CD ROM before HDD? Try pressing F8 while it's booting up to see if it brings up a boot menu.

Nothing happens when I press F8. Closest I've gotten to what you're describing is the boot part of the BIOS and there was nothing about the CD showing so it can't be reading it.

But even if I could get into it it won't do much good if it isn't reading the disc

The options are windows boot manager, IP4 Realtek PCIe family controller, and IP6 Realtek PCIe family controller. I know the disc works as I've put it into next door's laptop and it's coming up fine.

I've managed to get hold of a USB drive, and I'm currently in this screen
36e8081fb2747eaf6142d9cccc406dde.jpg
but I'm not sure what to do from here.

c9b064ce5c509be529fd2930f5274352.jpg
888bcf7d2f7d26cc01ec962580e73663.jpg

These are the options - any thoughts?

I tried all the options and in the end I just had to do a clean install. Though I still can't see anything on screen.

Hi

just seen this post how have you got on so far ?

a very simple and easy solution that may fix this depending on how much was changed with your partitions is do a macrium fix if you havent used this before its a great bit of software that fixes most boot errors that you come across dont think im allowed to post the link to download it on here but type in google macrium reflect go to the download page and put it on a usb let it do the work great as you dont lose any data or have to do a fresh install.

also as your getting that screen you can try the windows own start up repair that sometimes fixes small errors.

also depending on how you may have configured your pc go into your advanced options and select image recovery if theres been a back up done by your or the system youll find it in there.

if you were trying to change the boot order that would be F12 for the menu and in there move up to 1st boot device your optical drive and place hdd further down.

those should be easy enough options to get you fixed

if not then download your windows 10 from microsoft put it on a usb and install it keep a note of your licence number youll need it to activate your windows once done.

system image recovery should take you back to the way it was when you bought it, you should have a hidden partition on your hard drive that holds the system image recovery files

Back