L .E.D. lights round the tv etc

Carolinea

TK Veteran
My son got me introduced to led lights recently,and have to say they are brilliant. If you like me ,like to sit with the room lights out when watching tv it can be a big strain on your eyes. So I got a set of leds and you peel back the sticky back paper and put them around the back of the tv. The end is a USB that plugs into the battery box,you have a remote control that comes with it and you have a choice of around 30 colors. But the draw back is led lights are super sore on batteries,I thought led lights were the opposite very light on batteries but Nooooo. 4 Duracell batteries run out after around 10 hours so not so economical that way. So I bought a 30,000 size power bank from Amazon for £19 about the size of block of butter,when fully charged,it will burn the lights from 8pm till 1am for 10 days without a recharge,it also leaves a nice room glow and stops you getting that bleary eyes to sitting in the dark,the power bank pays for itself and looks the business when friends call,I’ve now one at the back of my jukebox now too.German power banks are the best and come with a minimum of 2 years guarantee. Wish I’d got the leds sooner they cost £8 from Amazon as well. Hopefully someone finds this info helpful folks Need any help at all just give me a bell ..........C.

Last edited:
My son got me introduced to led lights recently,and have to say they are brilliant. If you like me ,like to sit with the room lights out when watching tv it can be a big strain on your eyes. So I got a set of leds and you peel back the sticky back paper and put them around the back of the tv. The end is a USB that plugs into the battery box,you have a remote control that comes with it and you have a choice of around 30 colors. But the draw back is led lights are super sore on batteries,I thought led lights were the opposite very light on batteries but Nooooo. 4 Duracell batteries run out after around 10 hours so not so economical that way. So I bought a 30,000 size power bank from Amazon for £19 about the size of block of butter,when fully charged,it will burn the lights from 8pm till 1am for 10 days without a recharge,it also leaves a nice room glow and stops you getting that bleary eyes to sitting in the dark,the power bank pays for itself and looks the business when friends call,I’ve now one at the back of my jukebox now too.German power banks are the best and come with a minimum of 2 years guarantee. Wish I’d got them sooner they cost £8 from Amazon as well. Hopefully someone finds this info helpful folks Need any help at all just give me a bell ..........C.
My son has them around his pc monitor and on his tv in the bedroom,you can buy them with a usb end so that just plugs into the tv to power them,you can buy bulbs what fit in your light socket and do the same with all different colours,looks a bit dodgey though when its on the red colour from outside.

Just a quick note boys for the L E Ds, for some reason the powering of the lights are different,so we done an experiment just to see,here’s how it went. Putting the leds onto all white a pack of 4 Duracell’s lasted 8 hours before they started to dim. Most other colors were the same basic 10 hours,BUT putting the lights to green,or blue lasted 4 hours more,BUT using RED ONLY gave a further 2 hours for some reason so almost doubling the battery length,so to finish. Whites are VERY sore and best colors are green or blue,or if fancy the longest longevity then pick a red,there are 3 different reds to choose from,so if your gonna go down the batteries route,those are the colors to pick or avoid... we bought 32 Duracell batteries for the test and spent several days on the outcome. Hopefully someone finds this test helpful,thanks ......C. PS I just edited this on to be a bit more helpful. So white will last 8 hours, green +blue 14 hours + the reds come in at 16 hours. So putting on the lights for say 8 pm till midnight a pack of 4 batteries will last you 4 days,batteries are best bought at the big retailer supermarket,always beside the tills. B+M are best as they will do an amazing 16 Duracell for £8 for multi buy special offers now.

Last edited:
Just a quick note boys for the L E Ds, for some reason the powering of the lights are different,so we done an experiment just to see,here’s how it went. Putting the leds onto all white a pack of 4 Duracell’s lasted 8 hours before they started to dim. Most other colors were the same basic 10 hours,BUT putting the lights to green,or blue lasted 4 hours more,BUT using RED ONLY gave a further 2 hours for some reason so almost doubling the battery length,so to finish. Whites are VERY sore and best colors are green or blue,or if fancy the longest longevity then pick a red,there are 3 different reds to choose from,so if your gonna go down the batteries route,those are the colors to pick or avoid... we bought 32 Duracell batteries for the test and spent several days on the outcome. Hopefully someone finds this test helpful,thanks ......C
White will be more of a drain on batteries as all the colours are on at once to produce the white light.
Usually LEDs are red blue or green, these single colours will last longer than any other colour, as other colours are a combination of more than one colour being on at one time.
If that makes sense

White will be more of a drain on batteries as all the colours are on at once to produce the white light.
Usually LEDs are red blue or green, these single colours will last longer than any other colour, as other colours are a combination of more than one colour being on at one time.
If that makes sense
Thanks for that mate,it was very kind and helpful putting that on for me,and I’ve now wrote that down so to tell the rest of the team. Thanks again

Ambilight is great, the back lights change to match what's on the screen. Tv has to be wall mounted for best effect imo. These led strips are ok for a basic back-light, green probs looks good if you're watching sport but not a patch on ambilight.

I stopped using Duracell in favour of GP Ultra batteries. Half the price and last twice as long.
You can buy them in bulk on ebay
I think GP are what CPC sell. Decent battery for the money.
The problem with Duracell nowadays is there are a lot of different specs of them, from cheapo Duracell to industrial spec.

I think GP are what CPC sell. Decent battery for the money.
The problem with Duracell nowadays is there are a lot of different specs of them, from cheapo Duracell to industrial spec.
Yes I used to buy the industrials, the most expensive batteries I ever bought.
GP Ultra outlasted them by about 33%

Similar setup with strip and plug in and have fitted behind tv , guess what it started to sag and fall off and bending it to go round corners will break a circuit. Been able to control the brightness is handy.
My tv is on a wall bracket in bedroom and can pull out 18" for access.

Back