Laptop overheating

cheggs

Hi,

for approximately 20 months i have ran my laptop on high performance power setting but recently it has been dying on me. In the main it was always hot to touch underneath and sounded like a jet plane but still ran smoothly enough. I now have to constantly switch between power saving mode and HP optimized to maintain cpu temperatures but this leaves me feeling like i am walking through treacle and i was wondering if i could bounce a few possibilities to the experts on the forum?

1-Would a laptop cooler help me? it has always previously just lay on the bed next to me, i realise now that this wasn't a very bright thing to do given the heat generated between laptop and mattress.

2-I have a web page saved with a pictorial how-to on dismantling my laptop with a view to reviewing the cpu and any possible damage. Is this easy enough? It doesn't read very easy to me.

my laptop is a HP 6735s with an AMD Turon x2 dual core mobile RM-72 2.10GHz processor.

I am no expert with laptops, i have built a few desktop pc's in the past but this is all new to me,

Any advice would be great,

thanks in advance,

cheggs

Have you already attempted to blow the dust out of the fan and vent area? If not, i would start there before inciting a full laptop disassemble.

Hi cheggs.
Usually in cases like this the first thing i would do is check for a bios update. Straight to the website and check for that, you would be surprised the difference it could make.
Straight after that take 7th's advice and get all that dust out, been on your bed you say? Could be bum fluff an all sorts stuck in there lol
You should find a video somewhere on taking your particular laptop apart.
Be mindful of where the screws come from., most should be numbered.
Make sure the battery is disconnected.
Take care removing the keyboard.
Some say to use compressed air to blow dust, i wouldnt, the fan can be easily removed giving access to the vents and fan itself.
A vacuum cleaner and a wipe of a dry cloth to loosen packed dust is what i would do.
You've built desktops before then you know yourself how to be careful with the mobo.

Edit: another possibility for you if you have no joy with above said would be to apply some thermal compound to the cpu (after cleaning it of course)
Ive used arctic silver 5 myself before on xbox repairs but there may be a suitable replacement for the cpu involved.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies:cheesy grin:
i have attempted to remove dust from an external point. i did read on hp's help forum that there may be a design flaw in my laptop which could cause a pocketed area that is unobtainable externally hence the suggestion to dismantle.
i will give all your suggestions a go axxxo when i get in from work tonight.
thanks again
cheggs

laptop

hi
the worst thing to do is block the fan intakes at the bottom of the laptop buy putting it on the bed.
yes the loptop stands with fans can help but I found them noisy.

I have two laptops one of which is a HP that also ran very hot and sometime would switch off.
what worked for me was to double the ram from two gig to four gig this stops the thing working flat out all the time, i then up graded it to win7 64 as mine was AMD 64 it runs fine now.

this is not cheap option (or was not when I did it some months ago) but worked for me.

good luck
jm

thanks for the replies:cheesy grin:
i have attempted to remove dust from an external point. i did read on hp's help forum that there may be a design flaw in my laptop which could cause a pocketed area that is unobtainable externally hence the suggestion to dismantle.
i will give all your suggestions a go axxxo when i get in from work tonight.
thanks again
cheggs

Hi cheggs, right i have seen a few laptops especially HP with this problem ,
the best thing to do is use your hoover with a brush attachment which has to
be a little larger than the vent on the underside of the laptop,then
push it as flat as you can to draw out dust ,moving the brush in all directions
you will see dust coming out of the grill part, you will need to do this lots of times
after a bit you will then see the fan turning freely when you move the brush off completely,
also clean the vents on the edges of the laptop near to the fan the same way.
you will need to do this a few times till it clears.

In the future do not obstruct these vents, no using it on your bed ,knees,etc;
you can buy a gadget to place your laptop on. i would not recommend this
as you should have your laptop on a table or at least on a flat hard suface.
Also chech the rubber supports on underside of laptop are still in place
as these are designed to keep a space underneath to allow free air curculation.

If this don't work well follow other advice here, it has worked a few times for me.
It will depend on if the overheating has done any damage.

Hope this helps m8y.

Last edited:
A m8 of mine had the same problem with his dell he asked if I could help him I fitted a new CPU fan for him,
The new fan cost £7 it was just a case of removing the back cover,1 plate and plugging in the new the new fan - job done works great

sorry may seem like a daft female thing to say but when doing your housekeeping do you not clean the dust from pcs and laptops ( and other similar items) on a daily or weekly basis. It might not solve all your problems but will certainly help keep it cool as air can flow freely.

You will be surprised the amount of dust our pcs collect if i dont dust them once a week. I use what you might call a baby wet wipe and then a fluffy duster to remove any dust that may have got thro the holes. I also have a special pc keyboard attachment for my hoover ( bought from a tv shopping channel many years ago). Its so important for H&S reasons to keep any electrical item with a fan clean from dust, IE it could stop an electrical fault/fire starting!!!

Its never daft female advice to keep things clean linny, its just not something us guys do lol

@ johnnym, do you mean you upgraded from vista 64bit to Win 7 64 bit? As AMD 64 means the AMD chip is compatible with 64 bit operating systems.

A simple effective solution is to use a couple of books to raise the laptop off the desk.
Basically some air input vents are on the base and 2 things can happen:-
(1) These act like vacuum cleaners sucking up dust & debris from the desk surface & throwing it inside the laptop.
(2) When resting flat on a table it tends to clock the airflow. Using the books can help keep the airflow open.
Please try it - you may be surprised at the results.
Good Luck

Back