Leaving Sky Q - New receiver options

with a gigablue with fbc tuners you only need to connect cable to one tuner then link tuner b to tuner also with a unicable lnb you only have one cable then if you need to feed other recievers you just add a splitter each reciever has seperate source from unicable lnb
I'm getting it slowly bud! I assume that I can use the one or two coaxial feeds I have connected to present 8 LNB to go to the splitters for separate boxes? After I change to single unicable LNB ?

This is an old picture. I don't use 13.0 and 19.2 anymore. The red lines are the unicable feeds.

You don't actually need FBC tuners. The Unicable II lnb will provide 24 feeds and can be used on standard E2 boxes.

upload_2018-9-18_16-22-12-png.34953

I'm getting it slowly bud! I assume that I can use the one or two coaxial feeds I have connected to present 8 LNB to go to the splitters for separate boxes? After I change to single unicable LNB ?
Yes, just put the splitter in a standard junction box and use it outside by the lnb. You can use all 8 cables if you like lol.

Ok so would I have to change my 8 LNB?
Or one feed from my present set up would give me multiple recording?

Receiver with FBC tuner and a unicable LNB.

8 tuners and you could probably exceed 24 recordings while watching one i dont know the exact amount of recordings that is possible, i did 16 as a test. Down a single cable no splitters.

Receiver with FBC tuner and a unicable LNB.

8 tuners and you could probably exceed 24 recordings while watching one i dont know the exact amount of recordings that is possible, i did 16 as a test. Down a single cable no splitters.
I am really checking this out to see if I could do it all myself!
I think I could as we are living in a Detached Bungalow double sized Park home.
When we moved here 8 years ago there was no sat dish so I took a Sky sub with everything at half price £60 a month for 1 year contract then cancelled at the end.
Changed the LNB to 8 then got 2 E2 boxes for CS and IPTV.
But now Shield Cube and Stick! her indoors likes recording everything on sat so could be a good move , flog the boxes to finance the change!

Did you change the lnb holder when you changed the lnb arm?

As sky lnbs are 37mm and the rest are 40mm

Hi, Sky sub now ended and buying new box this week. Looking at Octagon SF8008 at £110, but have been offered a Vu+ Duo 2 for £50 2nd hand. Is that comparable? I wont be needing 4k as hardly any channels.

@Wymington23 just to help you a bit further, the DUO2 has space for an internal HD and may have one installed, it will have as a basic setup a twin sat tuner and it has space for a twin Terrestial tuner or you can add another twin sat tuner. £50.00 is a steal but check what you get and that remote is OK and that it has the lastest image, Openvix would be ideal.

£50 is a bargain, have a look on fleabay to see what I mean. And by my reckoning its one of the best boxes ever made and I have 2 of them.

I dont think the octagon has an internal HDD.

Duo 2 is a very good box if the remote is in good condition. Expect to have to reflash it to update everything that is no big deal.

Hi, Sky sub now ended and buying new box this week. Looking at Octagon SF8008 at £110, but have been offered a Vu+ Duo 2 for £50 2nd hand. Is that comparable? I wont be needing 4k as hardly any channels.
It a decent box for that price but it dual core cpu versus quad core on the SF8008 the Duo2 has 2gb ram versus 1gb on the SF8008 though.

A bit of an aside, but if you have a Sky Q twin cable setup, you can actually use any box you like paired with the right switch. I got the "JOHANSSON 9725 SFU dCSS Switch" which takes the wideband signal from the 2 cables and provides 2 unicable outputs.
I wanted to get my feet wet with sat receivers, but I didn't want to have to change anything on the satellite end (and I wanted to keep my Sky Q box working by putting it in single cable SCR mode) so I got an Octogon SF8008.

Both the Octagon box and Sky Q box work together fine, had I known the SF8008 wasn't FBC I would have gotten another box. Later on I'll probably get a splitter so the SF8008 can at least have 2 tuners.

Posting this here because as a newbie I took a gamble and didnt really find much answers on the web.

yes, change the lnb to unicable and then buy the gigablue fbc box

your current boxes will still work with the unicable lnb by the way
@Drox and @urie et al,

So If I install a unicable LNB with a single legacy port. The legacy post is deemed to be the Universal type port.

What is confusing me is the difference between Unicable 1 and Unicable 2 LNBS. If I have understood correctly,
a Unicable 1 LNB will only permit a maximum of 4 separate cables once the signal is split into different SCRs.
However, the Unicable 2 LNB will permit up to a maximum of 24 separate cables once the signal is split into different SCRs.

Is my understanding correct?

You see, I have quite a few receivers and want to use a 8 way splitter to feed each box with the same 19.2E
signal via Unicable LNB. I think I can only do this with a Unicable 2 and also ensuring that each receiver is Unicable 2
capable?

Any help, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.

@Drox and @urie et al,

So If I install a unicable LNB with a single legacy port. The legacy post is deemed to be the Universal type port.

What is confusing me is the difference between Unicable 1 and Unicable 2 LNBS. If I have understood correctly,
a Unicable 1 LNB will only permit a maximum of 4 separate cables once the signal is split into different SCRs.
However, the Unicable 2 LNB will permit up to a maximum of 24 separate cables once the signal is split into different SCRs.

Is my understanding correct?

You see, I have quite a few receivers and want to use a 8 way splitter to feed each box with the same 19.2E
signal via Unicable LNB. I think I can only do this with a Unicable 2 and also ensuring that each receiver is Unicable 2
capable?

Any help, comments and suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Pretty much, yes. You can get Unicable 2 lnbs that have up to 32 user bands, but I don’t think I’ve seen one of those that comes with a legacy port too.

For Unicable 2 compatibility, you just need to check you can set your receiver to the frequencies/bands of the lnb.

https://www.inverto.tv/download/file/5a9fa28c9193c-1520411276.pdf

Pretty much, yes. You can get Unicable 2 lnbs that have up to 32 user bands, but I don’t think I’ve seen one of those that comes with a legacy port too.

For Unicable 2 compatibility, you just need to check you can set your receiver to the frequencies/bands of the lnb.

https://www.inverto.tv/download/file/5a9fa28c9193c-1520411276.pdf
Thank you @Drox. I read that and then looked at more bits on the website.

I have quite a few closed source and Linux boxes. Now my Linux boxes show that they are capable of accepting
Unicable II. My closed source Viarks are as well. However, I have two Technomate receivers, and they only show
Unicable A, B, C and D as the LNB options I could choose. They do not list the specific channels and band/frequencies
they can use unlike the Linux boxes and the Viarks. They only provide option A, B, C or D with no band number.

So here is my concern. If I install a Unicable II LNB and then use splitters, I know I can connect the Linux and Viarks,
but I don't know if I can connect the Technomates?

If I chose Unicable A on one Technomate, how would I know it is using the 1210 band/channel as opposed to the
1680 band/channel? Furthermore, how would I know if the Technomate could even work with a Unicable II LNB?

I called the Technomate shop and no one available could help me. It would be a shame if I couldn't connect the
Unicable II cables. Using Unicable I is not an option due to the limited splitting scope.

Back