Letter from virgin

A device using your internet connection may be infected with malware

We’ve been notified by a third party that malicious traffic has been detected coming from a device using your internet connection. We don’t know which device this is, but it does mean your personal data and online financial transactions, including credit card purchases, could be at risk.

It’s likely that a device connected to your broadband is infected with malware. This probably isn’t your fault, but it's important you get your device fixed so the malicious traffic stops as soon as possible. We’ll help you do this below.

We need to let you know that if you don’t get it fixed, to protect others we may need to suspend or cancel your broadband service in line with our Acceptable Use Policy.

What to do next
We recommend using anti-virus software to scan and clean-up your devices. There are a number of trusted anti-virus software options available if you don’t have one already.

For help with this, please visit virginmedia.com/networkattacks

As well as using anti-virus software, Web Safe is available for free to Virgin Media Fibre customers to help protect you against malware and viruses. Full details can be found by signing in to Your Account at virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia and going to My Apps.

More help and support
For extra advice, or to double-check that this is a genuine Virgin Media communication, head to our community at virginmedia.com/community, click 'Help forum' and join the conversation on the Security Matters board.

Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team.

Received this email. I have a vpn router Zgemma with iptv and a laptop and iPad Got anti virus software on laptop Anyone got any ideas.

i had the same, in fact they stopped my emails. there was no malicious data or viruses on my systems at all. cant hurt to scan though.

i had the same, in fact they stopped my emails. there was no malicious data or viruses on my systems at all. cant hurt to scan though.

Thanks for your reply. As soon as the sent me the email. I scanned laptop for malware. No malware detected. Also did a full scan No threats detected. Could zgemma box or router contain malware.

Thanks for your reply. As soon as the sent me the email. I scanned laptop for malware. No malware detected. Also did a full scan No threats detected. Could zgemma box or router contain malware.
I had exactly the same warning sent to me whilst in our holiday home in Spain, at the time I was using vpn to access our sly emails rather than having to add the authorisation code to view them.
It seems to me that they are now targeting and softly warning the end users that they are accessing their system illegally.

Totally agree with checking headers first. In my case it was sly as they had blocked us accessing our emails, also had blocked sly go on our tablets as well as the box back home. I had to ring them to get it reinstalled but as much as I pushed them for a reason, they just would only say it was for 'security reasons' .

Ring them up and ask whats going on, more than likely a scam...

Lat couple a weeks been getting phone calls saying they are going to cut me off for ilegal activity detected... along with the 39.99 amazon calls .. I chose to not answer the landline now...

Just out of curiosity are the links to the anti-virus they recommend to fix said problems coming from links they provide that are affiliate links by any chance?

The old ( Problem / Reaction / Solution ) sales-pitch.

Back