LG TV Picture Settings guide

Aristotle

Didn’t really know what section to post this in.

A member recently asked me what picture settings I use on my LG TV so I thought I would share.

I think picture settings are a subjective and everybody likes different picture settings on their TV.
Some like Industry Standard calibrated modes.
Some find the calibrated modes are not bright enough for them so they tweak them for a brighter picture.
It does not harm anything by altering any of the TV picture settings and if you can’t remember what you’ve altered you can always just click reset and it will reset all the alterations you have made back to default.

The settings I mainly use on my LG OLED Tv.
For SDR Movies and TV series I use Home Cinema mode and turn TruMotion off. You may have Filmmakers mode depending on the year and model.
True motion artificially increases the frame rate to the content and too much of it can give a soap opera effect.
Other TV manufacturers will have a different name for it.
I turn this because it gives a more natural look to the picture.
You could also try HDR Effect and you have the option to alter the HDR effect level with light medium or strong.
I Personally would also turn off TruMotion as well using this picture mode.

For Dolby Vision and HDR movies I use Home Cinema mode with TruMotion off.
Again you may have Filmmaker mode.
I always watch movies and series with the room darkened.
You can adjust the OLED light, Brightness,Contrast and Colour to suit but I find them just right in a darkened room.
But if your room is bright, then you could turn these settings up to make the picture look brighter if need be.

For standard SDR TV I use expert bright room mode and again you could alter the settings I mentioned previously to suit.
I don’t alter any of the Expert bright room expert settings.
I find the picture to look more natural than any of the other settings that I’ve tried, but as I can say can be subjective.
You could also try HDR effect mode with HDR Effect Level set to light,medium or strong and TruMotion off.
I will say my room is not that bright and in the evening I keep the lighting low when I am viewing content anyway.
If you find Expert bright room too bright, then you could also try the Expert dark room.

For SDR sports viewing I prefer Sport or HDR effect mode with HDR Effect Level set to light or medium and TruMotion off.
You could try Vivid mode but I find it to much personally.
But try the different modes and just see which one you prefer personally.

For HDR(HLG) sports viewing I like standard mode with TruMotion off but try Vivid mode with TruMotion off also.
There is only a slight difference in these two picture modes with Vivid having a bit more colour and sharpness.
See which ones you prefer.

Also in picture settings, make sure you have energy saving off as this can have a big effect on how the picture looks and it lowers all the brightness levels and OLED light levels down to save electric.

Also remember if you’re watching movies and sport on the same device, you are going to have to keep adjusting the mode settings.
Unless you like viewing a SDR and HDR movie in Vivid or Standard mode.
Or find a mode that suits all and then you don’t have to be swapping and changing.

Once you have set Dolby Vision mode to your liking, you can just leave that because there is no standard TV viewing in Dolby Vision mode.
All the settings you adjust within a dynamic range SDR,HDR and DV and a mode are saved so when the TV switches colour range and mode all your adjustments are saved for each one.
You just have to adjust the mode within that dynamic range to suit the content that you are viewing whether it be Standard TV, Sport or Movies.

Also each app you access and each input that’s connected to your TV will have individual pictures settings that you will need to set.
e.g Netflix or any streaming apps.
Set top boxes and gaming consoles.

This website also has some great information on individual TV picture settings and is worth a look also.
You will just need to search for your make and model of TV.
Reviews and Ratings

Last edited:
100% agree with the TruMotion being turned off. The LG TV's look amazing in both SDR, HDR and DV, although it does take tweaking to get them as you desire. I ended up using the same settings (near enough) in all modes. I use the FilmMaker Mode (User) and have settings below
  • OLED LIGHT = 100
  • Contrast = 90
  • Brightness = 65
  • Sharpness = 0
  • Colour = 80
  • Tint = 0
It is personal preference at the end of the day. My living room is bright during the day, so I will close curtains if I'm going to watch something that will be quite dark. The picture does look stunning if the room is dark. I've got the LG CX and it's 3 years old. Still blows me away

I use the following on my LG CS (C1 screen with C2 processor), iirc the settings are very similar on my CX also.

Filmmaker Mode (user settings)

Brightness Settings:
OLED brightness 60
Adjust Colour 85
Black Level 50
Auto Dynamic Contrast off
Peak Brightness off
Gamma(Adjust Brightness) BT.1866
Video Range auto
Motion Eye Care off

Colour Settings:
Colour Depth 50
Tint 0
Colour Gamut Auto Detect
Fine Tune and White balance are untouched

Clarity Settings:
Adjust Sharpness 10
Super Resolution off
Noise Reduction off
Mpeg Nose Reduction off
Smooth Graduation off
Trumotion off

Filmmaker Mode Auto Start on
Reduce Blue Light off

Aspect Ratio 16:9
Just Scan on (important otherwise you will have overscan and cut the edge of the picture off)

100% agree with the TruMotion being turned off. The LG TV's look amazing in both SDR, HDR and DV, although it does take tweaking to get them as you desire. I ended up using the same settings (near enough) in all modes. I use the FilmMaker Mode (User) and have settings below
  • OLED LIGHT = 100
  • Contrast = 90
  • Brightness = 65
  • Sharpness = 0
  • Colour = 80
  • Tint = 0
It is personal preference at the end of the day. My living room is bright during the day, so I will close curtains if I'm going to watch something that will be quite dark. The picture does look stunning if the room is dark. I've got the LG CX and it's 3 years old. Still blows me away
LG have improved their Micro Lens Array (MLA) technology for this years new OLED TV releases on their upper range models.
This is taking the WOLED panel that LG developed to new brightness levels not seen before and up to 3000 nits.
This is to compete with Samsung own developed QD OLED panels that came out in 2022.
You will no longer have people complaining that OLED TVs are not bright enough in a brightly lit room.
Sony is regarded to having the best picture processing out of all the TV manufacturers by most TV industry experts.
But you will pay a premium for a Sony TV compared to other brands and they don’t discount their TVs that much either.
I’d rather save some money and buy an LG personally.

Last edited:
I use the following on my LG CS (C1 screen with C2 processor), iirc the settings are very similar on my CX also.

Brightness Settings:
OLED brightness 60
Adjust Colour 85
Black Level 50
Peak Brightness off
Video Range auto
Motion Eye Care off

Colour Settings:
Colour Depth 50
Tint 0
Colour Gamut Auto Detect

Clarity Settings:
Adjust Sharpness 10
Super Resolution off
Noise Reduction off
Mpeg Nose Reduction off
Smooth Graduation off
Trumotion off

Reduce Blue Light off

Just Scan on (important otherwise you will have overscan and cut the edge of the picture off)
I have been playing with my settings C3 the best I got was using the AI bit for ordinary TV ( cool bright )the rest is a bit like yours but I lowered the colour a bit as the football looked a Psycodelic!

I have been playing with my settings C3 the best I got was using the AI bit for ordinary TV ( cool bright )the rest is a bit like yours but I lowered the colour a bit as the football looked a Psycodelic!
C3 has the Evo panel (brighter), so makes sense that the colour settings I use would be a bit high for normal usage.

If I turn everything up to 100 on my non Evo panel OLEDS it's already bright enough to hurt my eyes.

If I had one of this years panels, i'd have to wear sunglasses to watch the tv :LOL:
I think it’s mainly for brightly lit room viewing or outside space viewing where some people like to watch TV I suppose.
Obviously not outside in the UK in the winter 🥶
Mini LED TVS can nearly double the brightness of an OLED TV.
Ideal for outdoor side or a brightly lit room.

Brightness Settings:
OLED brightness 60
Adjust Colour 85
Black Level 50
Peak Brightness off
Video Range auto
Motion Eye Care off

Colour Settings:
Colour Depth 50
Tint 0
Colour Gamut Auto Detect

Clarity Settings:
Adjust Sharpness 10
Super Resolution off
Noise Reduction off
Mpeg Nose Reduction off
Smooth Graduation off
Trumotion off

Reduce Blue Light off

Got the G2 and use these settings too.

Agree these getting brighter hurts my eyes ( not getting any younger)

Back