Linux Linux Anybody

thebyrnie

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anybody else likes or dislikes linux espically ubuntu i have a few ubuntu machines myself and have grown to really like it

but would love to hear your opinions on it good or bad

Looked at and played around with fedora and red hat a few years ago,but not in too much depth. I suppose i had just been used to windows for too long.I reckon it would be excellent if you have knowledge of C programming. I am thinking of giving Ubuntu a try as the Gui looks pretty good,having seen a few tutorials on Ubuntu i might stick it on an older computer? and pursue it a bit more this time.

im using linux on my acer notebook at the moment and find it very easy to use.My main computer is a mac and i have no porb. switching between them.

Glad to see there's people using it or willing to try

I have tried the different variants ubuntu, kbuntu and xbuntu
And i have to say each has its pro's and cons

Ubuntu is gnome gui the most unlike windows but is the most popular

Kbuntu is kde gui which is closer to windows in layout and feel the start at the bottom left and little things like that also mac is based on kde (i think) its real cool looking but requires the most resources out of all of them

Xbuntu is for lower spec machines and is like a hybrid between the 2 not as fancy but real good on low ram machines

Nearly all apps run on all three as the kernel is the same

I have been using command code on ubuntu for a few years now and its simply a lot easier than fedora or red hat maybe because of more novice users willing to try it and asking about code on forums, i tried fedora and red hat and found ubuntu a lot easier

If your ever willing to give it a try let me know what you want to do as i have installed server and desktop on lots of different hardware

I have a ubuntu server in the house with all my media sharing on it and also have a ubuntu desktop with Xbmc installed which by the way is one of the best media centres i have used its also available on windows and mac

Right out the box it plays pretty much everything .mkv .avi .flacc and so on really good for high def

XBMC

Here is a YouTube video of it [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOc8JavYzHE&feature=related[/ame]

In the video they use a mouse i prefer a media centre remote FYI all the video art work it downloads itself and if you press i on the keyboard or remote it will bring up all the imdb info rating, cast, plot etc real cool

On the C programming i know a bit no expert but can compile drivers, kernel and play with some source code
Would always be willing to get my hands dirty

Last edited:
Great post Thebyrnie, you now have me looking closer at linux.
Q for you........Am i right in thinking i could partition a hard drive and give myself a Dual boot option, i was thinking of partitioning a new computer i am Building and was thinking of being able to dual boot Linux and Windows 7

No worries mate
at the end of the file name you are trying to open will be a dot something or other
for instance, as in an image it would be .gif or .jpg
whatever follows the . on your file,
enter those letters into the search function on that website and it will return all the info you need.
Hope this helps Bud.

Great post Thebyrnie, you now have me looking closer at linux.
Q for you........Am i right in thinking i could partition a hard drive and give myself a Dual boot option, i was thinking of partitioning a new computer i am Building and was thinking of being able to dual boot Linux and Windows 7

Ya your bang on i have it triple booting with xp, windows 7, ubuntu

I usally set up my windows XP then windows 7 then i partition off the space for ubuntu 100gb don't format and when in ubuntu install format the 100gb and install onto that, there are a few more things to do before you start

If your thinking about doing it give me a shout and i'll explain the swap partition and how to view your windows hard drive in ubuntu and so on

I think you'll like it

sandog

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anybody else likes or dislikes linux espically ubuntu i have a few ubuntu machines myself and have grown to really like it

but would love to hear your opinions on it good or bad
my daughter is using linux mint but has awired conection she can not seem to get wireless on it, she is trying to understand some of the codes and she is doing much better than i am

I use the BackTrack 5 linux OS, it's a OS designed for pen testing. I don't think I could ever really fully transition on to linux, if anything I'll run Windows 7 and run any linux distro in a VM so I can get the best of both worlds without leaving Windows for a second.

I like Mint, but on this box which is very old and decrepit, I am running Lubuntu.

Running Backtrack 5 in a VM is a good idea; it comes with lots of stuff installed. You can learn how to use a Linux machine without giving up your windows. This is how I'm getting into it, latter I might make a duel boot laptop.

Back