looking for new Android phone, or second hand if working ok

pabloescaban

VIP Member
Don't want to pay a lot on account of being as tight as a fishes ar$e.
I need:
just basic functions like interwebs etc, alarm, radio, camera, mp3 player if possible, not after something with 32g of RAM, don't want to pay a lot as i work on building sites and they get covered in paint / cement / plaster etc and only last 18 months regardless of the price.
Most of the cheaper ones advertised at Argos/Ebay have terrible battery life, Alba, alcatel and so on
Currently using an old Huawei but there's dead spots on the screen which means when typing, the i, m and k keys don't work and i have to keep swapping input method to 9 key - abc def ghi and so on
Any recomendations? - unlocked/sim free as i have a sim ready to go in it, scissors on standby

I was always an android man because of all the apps,Untill one of the kids got a new iphone and i ended up with there iphone 6,i have to say they are a good phone big screen and quite fast, plus most apps are avalable on ios also now, plus they are still updateing them with firmware and you should be able to get one quite cheap, plus when you smash the screen they are about £20 to fix.

Not really bothered about iphones, couple of my relatives have them and the screens break too easily but thanks for the info, just seen a few on fleabay but mostly not working or £120 ish

Have a look at sim free phones Pablo like affordable mobiles carphone warehouse argos or even a local phone shop or cash converters cash generator if just for whilst working I get what, you mean state phones get in through been on building sites

Have a look at sim free phones Pablo like affordable mobiles carphone warehouse argos or even a local phone shop or cash converters cash generator if just for whilst working I get what, you mean state phones get in through been on building sites

Never had much luck with pawn shops, always expensive and usually nicked, but see what you mean, I'm looking more for recomendations or 'stay away from' type posts, cheers
I would look into the likes of Xiaomi phones they are very well priced and should easily do everything you want plus they are always sim free/unlocked

You didn't mention budget

Can get new android phones from Argos for less than £100 but like i said, Alba, Alcatel etc seem to have pi$$ poor battery life, not really looking to spend over £100 on a new one or about £60 on a 2nd hand one considering it will look like a plasterers radio and be in the bottom of a skip within 12 months

For less than £100 second hand with a good battery life and the phone not being too crap to run apps or out dated myself would look at the samsung galaxy s5 or s6 and i know you dont like iphone but either the 5 or 6 for the price.Have a look on schpock or gumtree or get into a family member for there old phone.
I find some times with the pawn shops near me there charging the same price as if it was brand new.

Blackview BV range, I've had one before, a BV5800 , brilliant phone, will buy another one when this phone gives up,
It's a Motorola something, brilliant battery, can last almost 2 days.!
I check what model now.

EDIT : it's a Moto g(6) play

should of gone for a xiaomi some very good phones for around £100-130 well worth the money and these are know for having large batteries in them.

They dont have to be ordered from the likes of China many stores stock different models or order from online places like eglobal

I guess its to late now you went for s5 which came out in 2014 and is refurb :confused:

Xiaomi mi a2 128gb mate at work has one says it's as fast if not faster than his iPhone that he got rid of to buy.

UPDATE:
Recieved the Samsung S5 and quite impressed, much faster and smoother than the Huwawei it replaced. only bugbear is the battery.
What's the normal draining time?
I'm not bothered if i need a new one, they're less than a tenner but don't want to get one if it's going to be the same as this one.
Left on standby, IE, black screen and not recieving calls or texts (no sim card in it yet) but connected to wifi, it uses 15% f battery in 4 hours.
If I use it for browsing, playing youtube vids etc, it will use 15-20% in an hour, this is with battery saving mode set...it's the genuine Samsung battery for this model. I see there are more powerful ones available, anyone any thoughts?

Yeah battery life not brilliant on the S series im afraid.
Ive had this S6 since the day of launch and its still on original battery and screens etc but it dont take long to drain battery when on wifi etc but i dont like iphones etc.
I know theres more powerfull battery upgrades available now but i dont know how much longer they last etc.
If im out all day and cant get access to a charger i just use my powerbank etc.

Anker PowerCore 20100 - 20000mAh Ultra High Capacity: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

i have a samsung A50 can get 2 days with general surfing but if i play any games,have to charge every day and its a newish phone,always liked samsungs but battery life is shite.

I've had s9 and battery csn last upto a day and half browsing sering YouTube iptv Samsung are shite for battery life I would just buy a powerbank charger for it whilst out and about arnt the s6 concealed units with non removable batteries

Back