Looking for some advice on buffering

I have had a Firestick since late last year. Earlier this year I put Kodi on it myself and was using free plugins but it took ages for anything to load up, also it was a lot more difficult to use as I only wanted to watch TV and that's what my Dad wants to do as well, as long as we can watch TV and the local football games we are happy.

After a while I got hooked up with someone doing their own thing and I used their version of Kodi and their plugins and it was fine but there was a lot of buffering issues as usual, stuff not loading and it was only by chance I noticed this thing called IPTV. I mentioned this to them and that I wanted to try it, I got the app, gave them the code and they activated it and it was a lot better. I'll never forget them telling me that if this didn't work it might be time to reset the Firestick because most of the people they dealt with had Firesticks and they weren't getting the kind of problems I was. They had EPGs and I could never get any EPG to load up correctly so I blamed myself.

The problem is that while it is a lot better I still get buffering issues, some channels load up right away and others take a while to load or not load at all. The Sky Sports channels seem to work great, there are HD and FHD and even the FHD versions work great a lot of the time. Netflix streams in 1080p no problem, never a connection issue there but some of these IPTV channels either stop or the little circle appears and then it replays what you watched 10 seconds prior.

I have fibre broadband, obviously the Firestick needs wifi. My signal is Very Good, a few times I've noticed it say Good then a few seconds later it goes back to Very Good. The TV is at one end of the living room, because of the way I have things wired in other rooms, the router is at the other side but it's in the same room as the main TV which is where we use the Firestick. The router is on the floor and it's inbetween 2 Ikea Kallax shelving units which holds records and DVDs and blu rays and a stereo sound system. it's easy enough to see and pull out and change wires etc but do any of you think moving the router would make any difference? Or do you think it's simply my suppliers fault? I've tried Googling this answer and the closest I can find involves Kodi and I don't like Kodi so I just want IPTV, something simple that gives me UK channels hopefully in HD that we can watch in HD. I've never seen anyone say they had to move their router to a different place or talk about the Network signal strength in the Firestick settings. I have CAT 6 cables coming out the router and are going to different rooms so moving it anywhere is gonna involve redoing everything but I want to know if this would even make a difference. Is Very Good as high as it gets? I've seen Good then Very Good so is there another step up? I've also changed the buffer size. Setting it very low means the channels load up quicker but that only works for the channels that will load, some just refuse to load, some still take 5 seconds to appear and I've made the buffer size higher thinking that will help. It's not a big house and there's no heavy downloading going on while we are trying to watch channels.

Basically I don't know what I'm doing. I've changed my wifi channel so that it's not interfering with anything else. I don't know if all the focus is on the sports channels only and that's why there's never an issue with them. I'm in the UK so I want something similar to Sky and have Universal, Fox, Sky Atlantic, Sky One, Dave, W, Drama, all the CBS channels, all the movie channels. The sports are the main priority but having the other channels is important too. I just want to know if anyone else had this issue and I can't see anything online where anyone solved it or what they did.

I have had a Firestick since late last year. Earlier this year I put Kodi on it myself and was using free plugins but it took ages for anything to load up, also it was a lot more difficult to use as I only wanted to watch TV and that's what my Dad wants to do as well, as long as we can watch TV and the local football games we are happy.

After a while I got hooked up with someone doing their own thing and I used their version of Kodi and their plugins and it was fine but there was a lot of buffering issues as usual, stuff not loading and it was only by chance I noticed this thing called IPTV. I mentioned this to them and that I wanted to try it, I got the app, gave them the code and they activated it and it was a lot better. I'll never forget them telling me that if this didn't work it might be time to reset the Firestick because most of the people they dealt with had Firesticks and they weren't getting the kind of problems I was. They had EPGs and I could never get any EPG to load up correctly so I blamed myself.

The problem is that while it is a lot better I still get buffering issues, some channels load up right away and others take a while to load or not load at all. The Sky Sports channels seem to work great, there are HD and FHD and even the FHD versions work great a lot of the time. Netflix streams in 1080p no problem, never a connection issue there but some of these IPTV channels either stop or the little circle appears and then it replays what you watched 10 seconds prior.

I have fibre broadband, obviously the Firestick needs wifi. My signal is Very Good, a few times I've noticed it say Good then a few seconds later it goes back to Very Good. The TV is at one end of the living room, because of the way I have things wired in other rooms, the router is at the other side but it's in the same room as the main TV which is where we use the Firestick. The router is on the floor and it's inbetween 2 Ikea Kallax shelving units which holds records and DVDs and blu rays and a stereo sound system. it's easy enough to see and pull out and change wires etc but do any of you think moving the router would make any difference? Or do you think it's simply my suppliers fault? I've tried Googling this answer and the closest I can find involves Kodi and I don't like Kodi so I just want IPTV, something simple that gives me UK channels hopefully in HD that we can watch in HD. I've never seen anyone say they had to move their router to a different place or talk about the Network signal strength in the Firestick settings. I have CAT 6 cables coming out the router and are going to different rooms so moving it anywhere is gonna involve redoing everything but I want to know if this would even make a difference. Is Very Good as high as it gets? I've seen Good then Very Good so is there another step up? I've also changed the buffer size. Setting it very low means the channels load up quicker but that only works for the channels that will load, some just refuse to load, some still take 5 seconds to appear and I've made the buffer size higher thinking that will help. It's not a big house and there's no heavy downloading going on while we are trying to watch channels.

Basically I don't know what I'm doing. I've changed my wifi channel so that it's not interfering with anything else. I don't know if all the focus is on the sports channels only and that's why there's never an issue with them. I'm in the UK so I want something similar to Sky and have Universal, Fox, Sky Atlantic, Sky One, Dave, W, Drama, all the CBS channels, all the movie channels. The sports are the main priority but having the other channels is important too. I just want to know if anyone else had this issue and I can't see anything online where anyone solved it or what they did.

First of all that's the most detailed post I have ever seen!!

Ok. IPTV ideally needs ethernet to run well but saying that I use mine on firestick via WiFi as well as wired on other methods and the firestick handles it perfectly well.

Who is your Isp? You need to switch off their blockers etc.

If you do this and the problems still exist I would be inclined to say it's your provider there are loads of cowboys out there and with the court order now blocking prem games some services ate getting worse by the day as people running them don't have a clue.

If you can post who your isp is I can advise what blockers need to be turned off but I think you should also start looking at other suppliers......get loads of trials and you will eventually find one that you are happy with.

Thank you for your reply! I'm actually considering other providers but I don't know how many would offer a trial to me. My ISP is Sky. If there's any advice on that please tell me and I can turn whatever needs to be turned off, off.

The supplier i have has been good with me and they have all the football games, nothing has ever not been shown but it can be a drag when some sports channels are fine and others buffer lots, especially in HD and I don't know anyone who has anything like this so this is my first time asking about this on here, I didn't know if HD buffering was a common problem but I do have fibre and I can stream 1080p content fine from Netflix and HD programming from other apps but I'm sure there's a lot more to it with these services that I don't know about.

Sky Broadband

On Sky Broadband you must disable Sky Shield, to do so please follow these steps.

1. 1. Go to http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-shield/ if the webpage just takes you to the main sky page, just google "Sky Shield"
  2. 2. Hit the Sign In button
  3. 3. For some bizarre reason, Sky may forward you to the Sky.com home page, if it does, then reload http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/broadband-shield
  4. 4. You will now see a page that says "activate Sky Shield", this does NOT mean your sky shield is off
  5. 5. Click active Sky Shield
  6. 6. Sky Shield is likely set to "suitable for everyone" or "teens and older", to disable it set it to "suitable for adults only" and click save.

IPTV will certainly never be 100%, you can never say no buffering ever, it all comes down to what you are happy with. A lot of providers are now having football blocked from the court order, so if yours is not being blocked then this is a good thing. There are loads of providers out there, but a lot are bad and all you can do is get trials. Anyone who refuses you a free trial is not worth it, they clearly have something to hide.

Try switching off the sly blockers on your internet and see how it goes, but if you get loads of buffering, yet you can stream Netflix etc fine, then I would start looking at providers. The Firestick is fine for IPTV but wired is always going to be better, do you have anything else you can try your IPTV on with a wired connection?

^ that's the key. If you can run streams smoothly from Kodi, show box, terrarium etc then it's not your system because it would have the same faults on everything.

There are only a handful of original providers out there... 90% are resellers and buffering, slowdowns and unavailability will be the norm for most until the scene settles down a bit and people learn what they need to know.

My desktop PC is wired but I don't know how to get IPTV on it. I did move the router higher up and it stays on signal being Very Good now but I don't know if Very Good is as good as it gets.

I have went to Sky Shield and it was already set to 18.

I had Kodi on the firestick and it was terrible, very rarely did anything work and it was very slow. My provider said most of his customers used Firesticks and they were fine and I was on the support group he had set up and sure enough I didn't see anyone complain. I only found out about IPTV by chance because the next step was going to be resetting to factory settings and starting over, maybe I had made some mistakes installing Kodi or done something to the Firestick's software. Sure enough I put IPTV on and it was great, very few buffers, most of the channels that didn't work were American so it didn't matter, as long as UK Sly channels worked I was happy. I just don't know what's happened recently but I would watch the signal settings and I noticed it go back and forth from Good to Very Good and I didn't know if when it switched to Good, was that causing the buffering so that's why I've now moved the router but from what you guys are saying if I'm streaming fine elsewhere then it should be fine for IPTV too.

Another thing I wanted to ask was, if I got free trials from different providers, how would I know which one I am currently watching? Do i have to restart the app for it to take effect? I think you press the back button a few times to do that.

Back