Looking to Cable

Embazzy

Hi all,
I have 2 boxes a V5S and an Octagon SF2028 HD box , I have a Virgin TiVo box which is paid up but no movies , what I would like to do is just use a cable box but have no idea what to look for.
I have a sub already and multiroom TiVo what can I buy to get rid of the V5S and the Octagon so I can get HD channels .Have a big screen and SD doesn't look right (although the Octagon box picture is pretty acceptable)
At the moment my Virgin sub is quite expensive and I would like a cheaper option. Can anyone recommend a good cable receiver for my big screen plus smaller boxes for my other rooms please?
Any help would be appreciated and if you know please share, What brand do I look for cable as the whole sat/cable is confusing if you don't know which is which

thanks in advance I know we have some great members who are happy to help

Embazzy

Hi there are stacks of good cable boxes..its your budget that's the decider mate..
Me i would maybe go for the vu+solo SE with a cable tuner nice little box loads of support and plenty of power.

to give you more choice what about a combo box as the sat side you can use for freesat and hd cable with sub,plenty of original supported units on wos,technomate,lxspeed ,mutant etc.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum thanks ferguj1 for the move. thanks for the replies so far , I would be happy to keep the sat and cable inputs so a combo would seem like a great fit for me.If I am looking for a combo box what do I need to look for I understand the PVR side but am unsure on the sat / cable inputs dvb etc.?
I also get the nline /cline as I have added these to my existing boxes, does the cable side work any differently connection wise? What I mean to ask is do I still use and a cline / nline or does it use a different system?

Embazzy

think cable only uses nlines with mgcamd 1.38 ,only difference in cable side is maybe having to use a splitter if using just broadband only.

I would take a look at the combo's on world of sat.

Flashed with VIX image,

Cheapest is the Xpeed LX2 combo £129, but doesn't look like they have any in at the moment, you can then pay more for faster processors and more tuners etc.

There is a guide here

Cable side works pretty much the same as sat, you just sub to a cable server if you have VM broadband, you don't need a TV package.

You can run sat and cable at the same time with a combo, as mentioned earlier.

Record on cable while watching another channel on sat, or vise versa

Last edited:
Hi 1 or 2more questions for now if that's ok I am looking at either a gigablue or miracle box I think, if I want to able to record from more than one channel on cable do I need additional tuners for each recording I want to do?
is it simple enough that I just get a splitter for my incoming cable to provide the extra inputs I will need?

thanks for your help so far

Embazzy

gigablue quad 2 sat + 2 cable tuners you can then record 3 channels 2 + 1 and watch on other tuner all at say 9pm,with sat transponders you may find multiple working channels and if so could record more on that.
eg, vu solo 2= twin tuner i had 6 recordings going at once to internal hdd,3 recordings on each tuner was on same tp handy.
you might have to add a 3 way splitter before router?
you can record from whatever channel you wish,better get a big hdd lol

Thanks for your advice I still have my TiVo connection till June so I have time I want to scrap everything at once I also have a quad LNB on my dish so I can just add another cable into the other sat tuner.
Do line providers allow for dual usage in the same box my existing sub is multiroom and allows for 3 on the same IP.
Out of the 2 I'm not decided yet on the Gigablue or the Miracle but have been reading other threads posted by you and Bees.
I think a single sat tuner would be sufficient and maybe 3 cable tuners as I would be recording in HD then if that's possible.
I like the idea of being able to record to my NAS that would ease my storage worries at least.
Just browsing through other threads have helped and I notice you are very helpful in all I have read its is much appreciated thanks
looking at the above info what would you go for Gigablue or Miracle? I wont quote you I promise :)

Embazzy

unsure of 3 cable tuner boxes lol,think bees had the miracle box and may comment on that,what i did was record to internal or external hdd and when getting full send them to my nas drive .

Code:
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Miraclebox-Linux-HD-Receivers/Miraclebox-Premium-Ultra-HD-2x-dvb-c-t-t2
ahh could be 3 cable tuners lol

you would need to ask supplier if running all 3 on cable

My line supplier allows 3 boxes to run on sat and 2 on cable for each line.

I'm not sure if recording would count as a different box as the IP would be the same, you would need to check with the server.

I have a miraclebox mini ( 1 sat, 1 cable) but you can't get them anymore, the premium version can take 3 tuners

So if you are looking for 4 it will have to be a gigablue which is 2 sat plus 2 cable (they may do a 1 and 3 if you ask)
or a mutant which will do 1 sat plus 3 cable

Just remember, if you are recording you just need a free tuner to view while it's taking place weather it be a sat or cable tuner.

You must love your telly !! lol

Last edited:
Hi Bees, what I would like is to be able to record 1 cable channel whilst watching another and just 1 for sat (no need to record on the Sat I could use that if I am recording 2 virgin channels) what setup would I need? (sorry just want to be clear ) and would this fit into the Miracle / Gigablue box?

Embazzy

maybe this one

Miraclebox Premium Ultra Triple Tuner HD Digital Receiver 2x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 - 1x Spare Tuner Slot (sat)

Last edited:
Miraclebox Premium Ultra Triple Tuner HD Digital Receiver 2x Hybrid DVB-C/T/T2 - 1x Spare Tuner Slot (sat)

Yeah, that would do, you could ask them to supply it with the sat tuner in place and as cactikid has pointed
out you would need a cable line plus a sat line.

Miracleboxes are sound, good choice.

miles better than a kv

He can do skyboxes as well, just doesn't let on, Ted just loves them KV's. It's a "freeness" thing he has got going on !! lol

Last edited:
Back