MAG254 or MAG256

champion9

Hi,

Looking into getting first IPTV box and was looking into MAG 254 or paying the extra £12 for MAG256.

Has anyone gone from the MAG254 to the MAG256 and noticed a big difference? I know its only £12 extra but we are low on money at the moment so was seeing if saving £12 outweighs the advantages of the better spec box.

Hi mate, I can only speak for the 254 and have to say it works perfectly with a good provider, and decent broadband no problem at all.

Thanks!

What broadband speed do you have? Our ZGEMMA satellite box is playing up so am looking at ordering the MAG box today as we can not get cable in our new build area.

I am only on about 12ish mb. Hopefully that should be enough....how come you have a magbox if you can get VM? I thought it would be better to get Cable?

I have vu cable box as well, best of both worlds :). Also you can get more content on the mag eg 3pm footy, usa/canadian channels and vod

My son runs iptv on 9 mb speed

that's what I have heard but also heard lots about people having issues with line providers and having to find a good IPTV provider.

My sly provider said he has set up his own IPTV server and sends emails about issues and upgrades to the server but very rarely replies back to any e-mails I send him.

Yes you need to do a lot of testing to find a good one with own servers who are able to get round the recent problems. If he's not reliable then I'd move on.

What recent problems has there been?

Also, I don't think you can ever tell if they are reselling a line or have their own server.

Hi,

Looking into getting first IPTV box and was looking into MAG 254 or paying the extra £12 for MAG256.

Has anyone gone from the MAG254 to the MAG256 and noticed a big difference? I know its only £12 extra but we are low on money at the moment so was seeing if saving £12 outweighs the advantages of the better spec box.
I can only go on personal experience, I am running both mag254 and the 256w2. The latter giving a much better picture quality. The only downside to the 256 is you would need it hardwired, as the 254 performs better wirelessly and as you have a fairly low internet speed you might consider taking these factors into account.

I have current sly box hardwired so no issue for me....oh dear is the picture quality a vast improvement? I am all about picture quality!

From what i've read picture quality is the same, however the 256 has faster processor which moves through the menus quicker and faster booting. tbh the 254 I find is fine, perfectly adequate

Thats wrong Satspain, the 254 needs to be hardwired, the 256 has wireless capability.
I've always had a Mag254 using a USB dongle in various rooms wirelessly with no problems.
I purchased the 256 and if not in lounge where the router is the picture kept freezing. I got in touch with infomir, they asked me to take photographs of both boxes running away from the router (kitchen) then go into system network signal info.
254 -50db
256w2 -78db
I could only achieve 52db on the 256 when it was actually running in the same room as the router.

256 is quicker, both the 254 and 256 do wireless if you order the w1 version.

However I would stick with hard wired with your internet speed.

My mate was running a 256 off homeplugs at 8Mbps and it was unwatchable, I ran his box at mine at 20Mbps and it was fine.

If money is an issue you could always try an MXQpro approx £25 from Ebay, just as fast as the 256.

Then add STB EMU or DigitalSTB which are free downloads from google play, they are Mag emulators so it works and looks exactly the same.

Just thought I would mention it. Got one as a back up and didn't want to spend Mag type money, it works fine.

However if you can afford it I would still go with the 256.

Hi,

Thanks for all the information. My boxes are always hard wired so no issue with wifi etc

In the end I ordered the MAG254 as from what I read there is not much difference and also because the store didn't have the 256 in stock.

Thanks for the info about the MXQpro box, with the emulators, when you switch the box on does it work like the MAGbox or do you need to select an app to get the IPTV working. Reason I ask is I need to replace my parents zgemma box too but they find it difficult to grasp these boxes unless its as simple as typing the channel number in which worked on Zgemma. Saying that, does that work on MAG box where you can type in a channel number to bring it up?

Back