MAG256 - broken ethernet port

cymrumcfc

Hi all,

I have my MAG256 box connected to the router via an ethernet cable. It's been working great for 6 months.

Yesterday, we had a power cut with the storms. The power supply was nackered, and the box wouldn't switch on. I've replaced the power supply and am now up and running again.

However, the box is no longer connecting to the internet. I've tried various ethernet cables, but the little yellow LED light in the ethernet port doesn't come on, and I get the 'Page loading error' 'Internet:Not available'.

So far, I've tried resetting the box to factory settings without success, and have also reset my router several times.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

You can try by going into the system settings and then network info wired then press the refresh button to see if your link status says up then gives you an ip address.
Have you disconnected your router first to see if that connects?
Failing that you may need a wifi dongle one that's compatible with the mag box chipsets

With many devices have you rebooted both box and router,resetting sounds back as its rebooting it needs to try and acquire an ip address.You mentioned a storm so i wonder was there a power surge that could have fried things having no protection fitted?

Hi all. Thanks for responses. It seems ethernet port was fried!

Bought a wifi dongle and now working fine.

Thanks
Ian

Could you not open it up and look inside without damaging any wires or smell to see if you can smell a burning smell but if it was fried would it even work at all i had same problem about 14 months ago with a zgemma box and power surge changed power supplies still going strong now lol

Hi, do you have ssh access? Do command ifconfig -a to check what system recognizes about port. Give ofc output please.
Are you also able to unscrew box?

Not sure I understand how to do command ifig... Ive opened it up/unscrewed it, nothing looks out of the ordinary

Not sure I understand how to do command ifig... Ive opened it up/unscrewed it, nothing looks out of the ordinary
No smells and so-so burned stuff? So maybe one particular small connection on mobo just broke and this appeared. You mean that you don't know how to do command? Sorry but i just misinterpreted your words friend and not sure what u meant

No smells and so-so burned stuff? So maybe one particular small connection on mobo just broke and this appeared. You mean that you don't know how to do command? Sorry but i just misinterpreted your words friend and not sure what u meant
Yea im not sure how to run a command. Not very technical im afraid

You can always go into settings and where you see network info press wired with ethernet in and keep pressing the refresh button see if it gives you a ip address from this?
Just an ideas mate.

Yea im not sure how to run a command. Not very technical im afraid
As mate upper wrote check your IP. Download PuTTY to your laptop and try connecting to this IP with port 22.
If there will be question about "login as:" , default credientals are user root, password 930920
Then the command line will appear and you do command on it.
If no, then it means that SSH is blocked and you may need flashing "public image".

As mate upper wrote check your IP. Download PuTTY to your laptop and try connecting to this IP with port 22.
If there will be question about "login as:" , default credientals are user root, password 930920
Then the command line will appear and you do command on it.
If no, then it means that SSH is blocked and you may need flashing "public image".
Sorry mate, but Im really not technical and dont know what you mean.

Try connecting to which ip?

Back