Maybe Changing broadband provider, advice needed

Borzio

Hi Guys, advice needed please, I use smarters pro and Global on a firestick, and may possibly also reinstate my SIPTV on my LG tv in future:
It's renewal time on my broadband, currently with Talktalk on 11mb unlimited, which works well, but I had a run-in earlier in the year with their Customer (lack of)Services in the India call centre where they overcharged my now cancelled mobile phone when I gave them notice I was quitting. Swore I would ditch TT at renewal, but as the iptv works ok I'm not wanting to rock the boat by jumping.
So couple of quick questions. Are there any ISPs to be avoided as they either block or throttle the iptv? And does it matter if I change to fibre (ie do I need to change apps or logins etc that run ok at the moment?) I can get fibre for the price I am paying now, so is it worth doing performance wise?
Lastly, if I go mad on Black Friday and buy a new tv any manufacturer to avoid re IPTV, I remember a few years back people said not to get Samsung.
thanks as usual, all advice appreciated.

Avoid Samsung TV mate and avoid Vodafone for broadband you would be better with android TV if virmin in your area get virmin broadband avoid post office broadband plus net good sly good ee good but there is the court order from isp providers to block isps when football is on compare all broadband deals in your area see which would be best

Cheers bazcf1, just checked with a compare site and my area doesn't have fibre so that option is gone. (duh! should have done before posting, sorry for wasting folks time asking).
Don't fancy sly for anything as we wouldn't be on iptv if they and bt charged reasonably....did look at Plusnet as alternative to TT, so thanks for confirming that's a goer, probably will go with them.

I was with plusnet, they throttled my speed at peak times so iptv was unwatchable. When I asked them about it they denied doing it, but it coincidentally stopped happening. The router they provide is rubbish, my kids consoles kept disconnecting. Now with bt and have no problems at all with them.

Thanks for your experience guys,pupuqiop I had same with TT a while back...had to complain and never happened again though they denied throttling. Having said that TT deny everything so I wasn't surprised.
They even denied they had the recording they insist they make automatically when you phone to quit their mobile, even when I produced the call list to them, with times, they provide, when I asked for the transcript. Ended up hours on the phone and 3 months extra charges because some joker at TT couldn't or wouldn't do his/her job. (also fed up dealing with guys and gals named stupid Western names when its obvious you're talking to a Indian Call Centre....Brad and Angelina are genuine examples and it insults them to be made to do it. They are Indian for gawds sake TT, I don't expect my Indian neighbour to call himself Boris instead of Krishnam so I feel more comfortable ffs......and who obviously have to slavishly follow a script on the screen in front of them. If they can't sort you, they say they are passing you to a supervisor then you are cut off while waiting.) Happened many times.....TT I hate your company!.........Rant finished.

I'm told by Virgin Media I can get fibre as they can install in the area, so I presume they are the only mob who do the physical installs and once I have it I'll be ok for next year on the comparison sites.
So if anyone is still awake after the Rant above, does it matter to iptv having fibre instead of basic, and are Virgin to be avoided?
cheers and thanks as usual

No broadband provider can beat Virgin for out and out speed. They have their own cabling and do not rely on the ageing openreach network that all other providers rely on.

Hi basejumper, thanks explains a lot, but in the case of iptv does the speed make a difference as opposed to the 11mb I get just now? Prior to the xciptv meltdown my streams very very good and stable on the firestick, since then I'm glad it's back even though not so good. If the speed would make a difference using an android box etc and virmin I would consider getting one for Xmas if it improved the quality as suggested by bazcfc1 above.

It dosnt soley come down to broadband providers iptv providers are still rebuilding there iptv and source suppliers still need to sort everything out yeah vm has the best speeds as base jumper has mentioned but not available in all areas and anything running via ethanet over WiFi gives better speeds and better overall performance I'm with sly and get 63mbps and running a box on WiFi I get 45ish and firestick on ethanet adaptors roughly 55mbps and still have odd freeze buffer but that's iptv

Eutopia would be Virgin main broadband feed. 1300 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline AC WiFi adapters to every room. All IPTV devices to be ethernet hard wired. (WiFi just for phones and tablets) IPTV to be HD VIP monthly sub. All doable if you have the budget and the option of Virgin main feed.

My advice would be to get Virgin broadband installed as a starting point then build your system.

Downside is obsession with your system, divorce and no mates and thats why some of us are here :sneaky::unsure:

Last edited:
Virgin's the one if I can get my wife past their weekends only phone extra as she likes unlimited,thanks.
Would love the whole kit basejumper, maybe in stages as finance allows. Dont want to join the divorce club yet but obsession is starting already lol.

Best to change at end of each deal!! Lots of goodies available!! I moved to BT when Sky upped the price, got a Samsung Tablet and £80 cash card. May go back to Sky at the end of this deal!!

As much as it pains me to say, always found BT the most reliable with the best ISP issued router on the market, terrible customer service and usually more expensive but can usually offset the extra expense with their agressive cashback (quidco & topcashback) and mastercard deals. I usually sign up with a tonne of cashback and after a few months they put the price up, I cancel without penalty and then go with someone else, the last 3 times I've been with BT......it's cost them money to have me as a customer

Sky & Vodafone are both quite aggressive with content blocking, i find I have to use a VPN more with these. Currently with Sky due to an amazing all-in-one deal that was the same price as my broadband only. Their routers force you to use Sky DNS servers though and I had a battle with them recently to alter my firmware so I could use Google DNS as my PS4 really didn't like theirs.
Talktalk issue the worst routers known to man that just fall over every time you put them under any stress.

@Toddy2 have you not got any rural wireless broadband in your area? usually same speeds as fibre for around the same cost. They're not that well advertised so usually require a bit of digging, PM me if you want me to have a look for you

As much as it pains me to say, always found BT the most reliable with the best ISP issued router on the market, terrible customer service and usually more expensive but can usually offset the extra expense with their agressive cashback (quidco & topcashback) and mastercard deals. I usually sign up with a tonne of cashback and after a few months they put the price up, I cancel without penalty and then go with someone else, the last 3 times I've been with BT......it's cost them money to have me as a customer

Sky & Vodafone are both quite aggressive with content blocking, i find I have to use a VPN more with these. Currently with Sky due to an amazing all-in-one deal that was the same price as my broadband only. Their routers force you to use Sky DNS servers though and I had a battle with them recently to alter my firmware so I could use Google DNS as my PS4 really didn't like theirs.
Talktalk issue the worst routers known to man that just fall over every time you put them under any stress.

@Toddy2 have you not got any rural wireless broadband in your area? usually same speeds as fibre for around the same cost. They're not that well advertised so usually require a bit of digging, PM me if you want me to have a look for you
I think there is!! I'm quite happy with BT 50mbps some chap came round trying to get our little enclave so we all had fibre, two of us out of 30 had it already!! When I told him I was getting 35 mpbs at the time he said 15 was there max !!
At the time with Sky who stated that mine was 16 mpbs but we're unaware of BT new boxes fitting had increased us!! I have 18 month contract now ending August next year, no price increases yet and her indoors went shopping with £80 card add is chuffed with Tablet the trick is to know when the contract ends!!

I'm with sky but use my own tp link router it never misses a beat, using google dns

Back