McCloskey rematch still a possibility

noelyf

VIP Member
amir-khan-v-paul-mccloskey-retro-poster.jpg

Monday, 18 April 2011

Paul McCloskey may still get another shot at Amir Khan following Saturday night's controversial defeat to the World Light-Welterweight champion in Manchester.

The world title bout was stopped after six rounds after an accidental clash of heads resulted in the doctor calling a halt to proceedings.

And while Khan initially rejected calls for a rematch claiming he would have knocked McCloskey out if the fight had continued, the champion's promoter Oscar De La Hoya has indicated that a rematch could be possible at some stage in the future.

According to the Guardian newspaper, De La Hoya, the founder of Golden Boy Promotions, one of Khan's three promoters for this contest, said: 'Yes, everybody wants a rematch. And you never know, right? Not in this game. Does he deserve a rematch? Yes, he does. But now we have to go and unify the title.'

The main agenda now for WBA champion Khan and his team is a unification fight with WBC and WBO belt holder Timothy Bradley.

But McCloskey's promoter Barry Hearn looks set to take the matter further after the controversial stoppage.

Hearn said: 'I've spoken to Robert Smith from the British Boxing Board of Control: they will launch a full investigation with the WBA, and ask for a rematch.'

Speaking about his first defeat and the cut that stopped the bout, McCloskey said: 'The doctor looked at my eye and I asked: 'How was it?' He said: 'Quite bad.' So I thought it was. I walked over to my corner and it was wiped by a towel and it stopped right away. So why was I stopped? Why was the doctor in the ring? He just jumped through the ropes. He wasn't asked to come in.'

He added: 'I heard that Amir told the radio that I wanted the fight stopped myself. What's that about?
'It's a disgrace. After that performance, is he a pound-for-pound champion? I don't think so.'

Back