Messi Named FIFA Player Of The Year

noelyf

VIP Member
Messi named FIFA player of the year

Monday, 21 December 2009

Barcelona's Lionel Messi was named FIFA's World Player of the Year at a ceremony in Zurich on Monday.

The 22-year-old Argentina playmaker won the accolade for the first time after helping Barcelona win La Liga, the Champions League and the Club World Cup.
'This finishes a magnificent year for Barcelona, my team mates and for me,' said Messi after receiving the trophy from UEFA president and former France international Michel Platini.

13_MESSI.jpg

The other players on the shortlist were last year's winner Cristiano Ronaldo of Real Madrid and Portugal, former winner Kaka and Messi's Barcelona team mates Xavi and Andres Iniesta.

Messi was leading scorer in the Champions League, scoring nine goals including one in the 2-0 win over Manchester United in the final.
He also notched the extra-time winner in the Club World Cup final against Estudiantes on Saturday.

The award, introduced in 1991, is voted by the coaches and captains of the national teams.

The FIFA Fair Play Award was given posthumously to Bobby Robson for his 'outstanding commitment to the values of fair play throughout his career'. The award was collected by his widow Elsie.

lol you said talent first, not stroppy dhild who throws his toys when it`s not going his way.:grin:

now, now, dee no need to go like that:no no:
I only said rooney did not get a mention, not he sud have won it LOL

Back