Missing audio - DTS VOD content

Hi all,

Looking to hear your recommendations on how best to solve this problem.

Here is the situation:
  • My setup: LG E7 TV connected via HDMI ARC to a Sonos Beam accessing IPTV with Smart STB (LG TV app)
  • IPTV provider has a collection of VOD titles with audio output in various formats, including Dolby Digital 5.1, Stereo 2.0 and DTS
  • VOD titles with DTS are missing audio (with default settings)
  • Whilst playing affected titles, the Sonos system status (in the app) shows the output as DTS - not supported (see link)
What I have tried so far:
  • Different ways of accessing IPTV: MAG322 and Smart STB -> no difference in results (MAG322 doesn't have DTS codec either)
  • Different audio track with VOD -> successful when another (non DTS) track is available
  • Different speaker -> successful when switched to internal TV speaker
  • Different TV audio settings -> successful when HDMI audio output switched to "PCM" rather than "Auto"
The last point might seem like a workable solution. However, it restricts ALL output to Stereo 2.0 - i.e. sources that would otherwise benefit from Dolby Digital 5.1 etc. are also affected!

I don't quite understand why the LG TV can't properly decide which HDMI output to use - i.e. why doesn't HDMI audio output: "Auto" switch the output to PCM for audio tracks that are in an unsupported format for the Sonos Beam (i.e. DTS source)? Or does the Sonos not communicate these unsupported formats properly in the HDMI handshake? Is there a better connection type I could use to avoid this problem?

Basically I'm hoping someone can help me get to a stage where I can use the whole setup to its full potential without constantly having to switch audio output settings or settle for a lower standard across all playback.

Appreciate your thoughts.

If you can use a external player download mx player and install custom codecs that will sort most issues.Not sure if this is possible on your tv though. Make sure any app you are using is set to use external player/mx player.

Last edited:
Smart stb is just like mag boxes and has codec issues.
So you will get some vod that plays perfect some that has sound no picture and some that has picture no sound.
if was me I would get a 4k stick put stb emu pro on it and change mac address to imatate smart stb and you will be able to change player so vod works with sound ect

Smart stb is just like mag boxes and has codec issues.
So you will get some vod that plays perfect some that has sound no picture and some that has picture no sound.
if was me I would get a 4k stick put stb emu pro on it and change mac address to imatate smart stb and you will be able to change player so vod works with sound ect
A smart tv is no substitution for a box or firestick. However, they are ok if you want to buy cheap netflix accounts etc.

Unless Sonos magically starts supporting DTS as part of the new S2 app functionality released next month then you'll need to convert the audio to DD if you want multichannel audio. The Beam currently only handles 2 channel PCM or Dolby Digital. Not even Dolby Digital Plus. But this could change with the launch of S2 as the new Sonos Arc will supprt Dolby Digital Plus via ARC so it's possible the Beam could also start processing that. The marketing for the ARC says it will process PCM, DD, DD+, TrueHD & Atmos. There has been no mention of multichannel PCM or any DTS format sadly - as has been the case since even the PlayBar was launched - Sonos don't see it as a priority for their core customers.

The LG should convert a DTS signal to PCM2.0 as per your last point.

I use my Xbox One S to play my blu-rays (4K and HD) and it converts DTS to Bitstream DD which my LG B6 passes as 5.1 DD to the Beam via ARC. Means I get DD5.1 from all my discs and from any other DD content without changing audio settings on a per disc/program basis.

Last edited:
I ended up biting the bullet and ordering an Nvidia Shield TV. Absolutely wonderful piece of kit. And the audio works fine across all content.

Smart STB is a piece of sh** in comparison.

Back