Mobile mini internet

nicoj24

TK Veteran
Can anyone please advise, my mate at work wants to take is mag box down his caravan the weekend to watch the football, he has no internet there but wanted to know if he could use anything to get the internet down there?
I have seen sim only mobile internet and mobile mini internet, was just hoping for a bit of information and help so I can advise him what to get so he maybe able to use his mag box and watch the match ie 3g 4g what he needs to buy and if anyone has had any experience with these device.
Thanks in advance .

Couldn't he just use his mobile date to tether to the box if he gets a big enough amount on his contract/sim only deal if he has one just an idea I usually connect my phone to my box if ever there's a fault on my bb

Couldn't he just use his mobile date to tether to the box if he gets a big enough amount on his contract/sim only deal if he has one just an idea I usually connect my phone to my box if ever there's a fault on my bb

thanks mate how can you do this? Do you need a mobile sim internet router or something?

On his mobile phone its called mobile hot spots you can tether other devices to your phone. Your phone acts like a router there will be a password on phone what you enter into a device phone tablet zgemma but the devices need to be on WiFi. Here's a definition

DEFINITION
mobile hotspot
Mobile hotspot is an ad hoc wireless access point that is created by a dedicated hardware device or a smartphone feature that shares the phone's cellular data.

Mobile hotspots are also known as portable hotspots. The hardware devices used to create them, officially known as pocket or travel routers, are sometimes referred to as mobile hotspots as well. They are also often generically known as Mi-Fis, although that name is owned by Novatel in the United States and many other countries.

Pocket routers access cellular signals and convert 3G and 4G signals to Wi-Fi and vice versa, creating mobile Wi-Fi networks that can be shared by multiple users within about 10 meters of the device. Most wireless carriers offer mobile hotspot devices and the wireless data plans required to enable them. Another option is using a smartphone to connect other devices. Many smartphones enable the creation of a mobile hotspot through tethering, accessing the phone's existing cellular data connection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so if he puts a wifi dongle in the mag box then not sure what to tell him to do next has never used my phone for this baz.

You can buy internet dongles with a data only SIM inside and connect like WiFi. As @bazcfc1 has said though, just hotspot from a phone if he has enough data.

Internet dongles are no more beneficial than the phone.

He would put a dongle into his box set it to wifi (the box) and follow this guide may be different pending which phone he uses then on his phone go to tethering/hot-spot then go to portable hot-spot turn it on let the box pick his phone up as a WiFi network then he would go to configure hot-spot then there would be a password he puts into his box WiFi and it would connect as a WiFi network

Which is the cheapest best place to buy the internet dongles? will these work on the mag box though?
If it's just for weekend I would buy just a WiFi dongle with no sim in it as if took a data monthly sim he would be paying for it when he dosnt need it @dt99 has a point but phones with enough data do the same thing

If it's just for weekend I would buy just a WiFi dongle with no sim in it as if took a data monthly sim he would be paying for it when he dosnt need it @dt99 has a point but phones with enough data do the same thing

I agree, just for a weekend, the phone will suffice. A dongle is about £20-£30, then an EE SIM with 6gb of data is about £20, so the cost mounts up. I only know this cos I bought one for work recently.

Pending on what network he is on you can buy like extra data bundles for if your low on data I know 02 giffgaff does just what I can think of

Yes I think he updated his data to a better contract to get more data on his iPhone.
so if he gets a wifi dongle inserts into mag box then goes to phone settings to look for has you said this,
tethering/hot-spot then go to portable hot-spot turn it on let the box pick his phone up as a WiFi network then he would go to configure hot-spot then there would be a password he puts into his box WiFi and it would connect as a WiFi network

Yes I think he updated his data to a better contract to get more data on his iPhone.
so if he gets a wifi dongle inserts into mag box then goes to phone settings to look for has you said this,
tethering/hot-spot then go to portable hot-spot turn it on let the box pick his phone up as a WiFi network then he would go to configure hot-spot then there would be a password he puts into his box WiFi and it would connect as a WiFi network
I will have a look on my sons iPhone to see if it's same if not i will post what he needs to do

instead of all the farting around and spending £20 here and £20 there, why not just find a pub that's showing it, spend the £20 on a steak dinner and a few pints while he watches the match, then go back to his caravan?

On iphone this is on (se) maybe same for all i phones turn mobile data on then there should be something underneath called personal hot spot press on it then it will open then turn it on there will be a password there type password into WiFi on box and will tell you what to do you can do it through USB with iPhone but never tried

Back