Mobile phone provider suppressing tethering

Having read this article I wonder if this is why sometimes I can't seem to get internet on my laptop from my phone with a Lebara sim installed.

I did on a very few occassions get a connection but this didn't last long and most times I struggled and didn't get any data throughput. Lebara are thieves. They tell you tethering is not encouraged but will work. When I tested with EVERYTHING the same except the SIM I could tether fine, on any SIM except Lebara. They need somebody rich to carry out some verfieable tests and then sue the bastards hard for this dishonest behaviour. I suspect that is why you can't get to the internet sometimes from a Lebara SIM. Do the test if you can try another SIM at the same location, same machines and it will allow you to receive tethered data ! AVOID LEBARA AT ALL COSTS AND TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW !!!

I did on a very few occassions get a connection but this didn't last long and most times I struggled and didn't get any data throughput. Lebara are thieves. They tell you tethering is not encouraged but will work. When I tested with EVERYTHING the same except the SIM I could tether fine, on any SIM except Lebara. They need somebody rich to carry out some verfieable tests and then sue the bastards hard for this dishonest behaviour. I suspect that is why you can't get to the internet sometimes from a Lebara SIM. Do the test if you can try another SIM at the same location, same machines and it will allow you to receive tethered data ! AVOID LEBARA AT ALL COSTS AND TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW !!!

I have had Lebara and Vectone sims YEARS ago an from experience both were terrible.

Internet was really bad on them and calling was hit and miss as alot of the time the other person on the other end said they couldnt hear me.

Would never reccomend either network no matter how cheap they maybe.

Last edited:
I have had Lebara and Vectone sims YEARS ago an from experience both were terrible.

Internet was really bad on them and calling was hit and miss as alot of the time the other person on the other end said they couldnt hear me.

Would never reccomend either network no matter how cheap they maybe.
ye, they are cheap for a reason ,
they bulk buy minutes, and are dependent on the carrier having spare capacity,
this will be the exact getout clause they use for no internet as well, no carrier capacity,
read the small print @Alex516
I bet you dont have a leg to stand on,
it will be dependent on carrier capcacity, or, in other words, how much data they have paid for, which will never take priority over the carriers direct customers.

ye, they are cheap for a reason ,
they bulk buy minutes, and are dependent on the carrier having spare capacity,
this will be the exact getout clause they use for no internet as well, no carrier capacity,
read the small print @Alex516
I bet you dont have a leg to stand on,
it will be dependent on carrier capcacity, or, in other words, how much data they have paid for, which will never take priority over the carriers direct customers.

TBH only reason I had used Lebara mainly years ago was for international calls to Pakistan and India. But they removed Pakistan from the list of countries I believe. So ended up moving to Lyca for international calls for both countries and they are good few times used them.

Tethering with Lebara was a pain in the backside most of the time speeds were dire or just didnt work.

But your spot on in regards to why they are "cheap"

Hi folks, I'm a bit late to the party - I'm searching for advice on this issue after having issues.

I AM CONVINCED THIS IS NOT LEBARA's FAULT!

Let me explain why... I had issues tethering to my phone (P20 Pro) from a spare phone, after moving to Lebara from Vodafone. I found a thread (ISP Review forum) which suggested it is a known issue with Lebara & P20 phones. It talks about all sorts of resets up to full factory reset! Thankfully deleting the APN & setting it up manually was all that was needed - tethering now works fine with my phone! IT IS NOT LEBARA BLOCKING IT! 🙂

Now for the 🙁 I'm back to googling the issue as I can't get it working on my mum's P Smart. So I am confident it is a settings issue with certain phones & Lebara, indeed I have learnt a valuable lesson - always test tethering after changing SIMs!

Back