Movie Rentals

7thsinger

VIP Member
For the last decade or so i've been renting from a family owned and operated movie rental place. It's not a franchise, just their own little business, and they are a nice community minded family. I have known them for years, they're good people.

Since Blockbuster put up a franchise store just down the street from them five years ago they've struggled.

Now with this whole Redbox/Blockbuster kiosk bullshit, they're going to have to close their doors. It makes me mad when large corporate franchises push out a hardworking family owned business in the hunt for the almighty dollar.

Part of the enjoyment of renting there was talking with the family and the other employees. They would hold a copy of a movie for me, or sometimes even let me take a highly anticipated release a few days early. In short, i didn't mind paying a little more knowing i was helping they're establishment. And i don't mind paying a little more for the friendly service and pleasant atmosphere. All things that are lacking from the kiosk right next to the smelly outside bathroom at the gas station.

Just sad to see them pushed out this way.

we have it the same here with local shops being crushed by the likes of Tesco, the food has no taste always fresher from the local butcher,baker and veg shop and you no the stuff is all local.:bang head:

big business has no scruples, just a lust for money, there was always more service at a local, family run business, they cared to look at their products and offer you advice based on knowledge and feedback fro, other customers, they never let you buy the wrong product just because they could make a few more cent on it.
it is a sad thing for local high streets when the big chains move in.

I also frequented a family run movie rental store. Greedy property managers raised their rent so high, alas, they are no more. They offered the newest in rentals at affordable prices and had one of the best foreign selections available. great service was the norm. I miss them.

Unfortunatly its the same with all businesses, even the local post office.
Some twit sitting in a BIG chair doing JS decided whats best for the "community" - well its not for the best when they shut down all the small local businesses that people been going to for years that was the community!

in a 5 mile stretch - yup not even radius we have 2 blockbusters, all small video shops closed years ago, but well i can tell you that the blockbusters are cr^p dont have the latest games and only 1 few copies of new films, 4 supermarkets - soon to be 5 and yes they are the major ones, oh and thats without M&S.
Think we have 1 butchers left, no greengrocers and 2 bakers - one of which is turkish owned but sells wonderful bread the other being greggs,.
Iwouldnt mind but in the local town where the rep shop it its maily turkish shops or the like and charity shops. They built a new morrisons and a new tesco opening soon. Problem is people go to the large supermarkets and thats it!!! they go home so the smaller shops suffer. The council have the cheek to put the rent/rates up and they know that shops are struggling.
As Dee will know the local post offices are disappearing - and its the old folk i feel for, the post office can be the only place they felt safe and could have a chat. We dont all want to trundle to the local mall to send a letter or pay bills, AND Q for hrs on end.

BRING BACK THE LOCAL FAMILY RUN SHOPS

BRING BACK OUR COMMUNITY!!!!!!!!!

well said linny, spot on in you r analysis of post offices, it is the same here in Ireland.:taz:

Back