Moving files inside hdd

harmand

I have not been able yet to understand how exactly OpenATV users should act when wanting to move (or copy) files from an hard disk folder to another using just the H5/OpenATV basic functions (that is without network connection).

I noticed that when browsing/selecting multimedia files, recorded by the H5 itself (ts) or coming from elsewhere (mp4 ...), the green button at the bottom of the screen shows the tip "move". So I highlighted the movie file I wanted to move and I presses the green button on the remote, thus obtaining a message telling me to choose a destination for the file. The following events seemed quite vague and mysterious. I wanted to send the file to a specific folder inside another drive (connected to the front usb port), but I was unable to select the destination and confirm the operation. No more messages appeared and so I thought the operation had been aborted. I tried another couple of times, with the same (null) result.

Later I casually discovered that something had actually happened, as the file seemed to have been copied (not moved) to the root folder of the destination drive. However, when I opened that file in the PC, I found out it contained only the first hour of the movie.
So, in short:
the file wasn't moved but was (partially) copied, to a folder not chosen by me and in total absence of any feedback.

Can anybody shed some light?
What am I missing? :]

Never tried it but I use dream explorer from plugins to delete files so maybe you can use that to move files,not sure , maybe someone else can comment.

When in the movie file list highlight the movie that you want to move and press MENU > MOVE.
This should open a file list for you to choose the destination.
Navigate to the folder you want eg. /media/usb/movies and highlight the destination folder and press green to move.

Never tried it but I use dream explorer from plugins to delete files so maybe you can use that to move files,not sure , maybe someone else can comment.

That works with files okay but there are about 6 files associated with a recording.
You really have to do it with the movie file list as per my previous post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:
I tried and I can confirm that the MENU > MOVE/COPY options work, although the selection of the destination folder is somehow complicated, because the screen shows a list of selectable destinations which not necessarily include the desired one. Or maybe I haven't understood the right procedure yet.
The most uncomfortable and surprising inconvenience, however, lays in the total lack of feedback about the progress (and the end) of the operation.
I was able to "detect" them only by looking at the flashing of the usb key's led or, alternatively, by selecting the destination file and watching its... growing size on the right side of the screen (while waiting for the end of the growth).

Back