My Poorly boy

sash1

Registered
My miniature schnauzer has had gastroenteritis. he was hospitalised for 2 days and now back home. still having pain killers and only eating chicken and rice. He's like a different dog at the moment. he's only 2 and was before this still like a puppy, however he seems like an old man at the moment, its very sad to see, its really taken it out of him. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience of this and will he be back to his old self soon and how long does it take. hes been home 2 days now.
 

stuss

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
My miniature schnauzer has had gastroenteritis. he was hospitalised for 2 days and now back home. still having pain killers and only eating chicken and rice. He's like a different dog at the moment. he's only 2 and was before this still like a puppy, however he seems like an old man at the moment, its very sad to see, its really taken it out of him. Just wondering if anyone else has had experience of this and will he be back to his old self soon and how long does it take. hes been home 2 days now.

We wouldnt be as lively if we had gastroenteritis.. as he is young. and you did the right thing by attending the vet..

have you tried boiled water in a syringe
( cooled obviously) if reluctant try tiny drop of sugar to hydrate him..

good luck with your mate..
 

sash1

Registered
luckily hes eating and drinking OK, Im sure your right, he just needs to get his strength back.
 

pabloescaban

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
My dog had similar troubles a few weeks ago and nothing would shift it...she had it for over a month
She's fine now and eating like a horse, slowly getting back to her old self. I started her off on boiled chicken breast (no fat, skin or salt) and plain boiled rice, but the rice was coming out undigested, and the runs continued.
I read online that rice tends to ferment in their stomachs so took her off boiled rice and replaced it with plain boiled potatoes, still in skins (but washed first!)
mash em up with a fork in his bowl, mix some of the chicken/potato water with it to give him extra liquids as the chicken will dry it up again, into this I put one teaspoon of porridge oats, my dog has had solid dumps since then and I've slowly cut the oats down to a spoonful every few days.
The starch in the spuds tends to take the toxins from his intestines, giving them chance to heal and the oats slows down digestion, giving them chance to gain their strength from the food.
Don't overdo it with the porridge oats, you may wanna make his food half an hour before feeding time and add extra liquid if the oats turn it into concrete as they do absorb a lot of liquid.
This is also good for dogs that are allergic to wheat, which can also cause gastointestinal problems
 

stuss

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
My dog had similar troubles a few weeks ago and nothing would shift it...she had it for over a month
She's fine now and eating like a horse, slowly getting back to her old self. I started her off on boiled chicken breast (no fat, skin or salt) and plain boiled rice, but the rice was coming out undigested, and the runs continued.
I read online that rice tends to ferment in their stomachs so took her off boiled rice and replaced it with plain boiled potatoes, still in skins (but washed first!)
mash em up with a fork in his bowl, mix some of the chicken/potato water with it to give him extra liquids as the chicken will dry it up again, into this I put one teaspoon of porridge oats, my dog has had solid dumps since then and I've slowly cut the oats down to a spoonful every few days.
The starch in the spuds tends to take the toxins from his intestines, giving them chance to heal and the oats slows down digestion, giving them chance to gain their strength from the food.
Don't overdo it with the porridge oats, you may wanna make his food half an hour before feeding time and add extra liquid if the oats turn it into concrete as they do absorb a lot of liquid.
This is also good for dogs that are allergic to wheat, which can also cause gastointestinal problems
i like happy endings
i lost my best m8 chaz 6 months ago.. cleverest dog i ever had the privilege of owning 14 years...
i am away offshore .yet when i come home house is just not quite the same... christmas is going to be quiet. as chaz used to open his own presents..[emoji21]


Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
 

sash1

Registered
That's great Pablo I'll see how he goes on and start to introduce the potato in at weekend I think.
He loves Mash :-)
 

sash1

Registered
Sorry to hear about Chaz M8. 14 is a good old age and hope my 2 are still around for that long. By that time I'll be old myself so will maybe giving a home to an old boy like me from the rescue centre as can't ever see myself without a dog. But my 2 are still young so we will grow old together.
 

stuss

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
Sorry to hear about Chaz M8. 14 is a good old age and hope my 2 are still around for that long. By that time I'll be old myself so will maybe giving a home to an old boy like me from the rescue centre as can't ever see myself without a dog. But my 2 are still young so we will grow old together.
its been months now since chaz died. He only went in for teeth clean.. thrn the vet said he had oral cancer..

it was aggressive no chance of recovery.. so we had a few days to say our goodbyes.. on final day i took chaz to pub. i had my pot of earl grey . chaz had his cup of tea
then trip to the vet.. He was family and a little shit.. even writing this brings a tear to my eyes... But its lovely to hear of dogs been loved and nurtured back to health..[emoji255]

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
 

sash1

Registered
I hold my hands up . Animal cruelty as My Citeh Fan mate has told me but it didn't stop him putting his greyhounds in City Hoody's !!! Hoody's I ask you.
Poorly boy update is he's on the up I think. sloppy poos and bit of blood but been warned to expect this. Getting his swagger back though. Should have called him Zlatan.
 

sash1

Registered
yes thanks mate, hes full of himself again. he eats too fast which makes him sick sometimes so we have to watch him but hes full of beans again. And Turkey :)
 

pabloescaban

TK Veteran
Forum Supporter
you can slow dogs down if they wolf their food down too quickly, there's bowls with ridges and bumps in the bottom where food gets stuck and they have to work to get it out, also i have a snuffle mat for my dog in which i drop a handfull of kibbles or crunchy treats and it takes her quite a while to sniff them out as they sink into the fabric:
il_570xN.936881833_a8c8.jpg
 
Top