NCT (national car test ireland) THREAD

moh

Deleted, at user's request.
Has Your Car failed the NCT are you surprised that it actually failed on an issue that you would never have guessed that your car would actually fail on.If your car has failed why not post your grievances and annoyance here and of course get solutions to rectify the failure.Here are a list of points below;

1. Different tyre size on wheels.

2. Rotation of tyres wrong.

3. Seat belts not retracting.

4. Centre belt not on show.

5. Low level power steering fluid.

6. Low level break fluid.

7. Lights working but slightly dimmer than others.

8. Condensation behind your lenses (lights and indicators).

9. 'Loose' handbrake gaiter.

10. Wheel alignment.

11. Sticky door handle (door handle wont retract fully)

12. Windscreen washers jets not correctly aimed.

13. Having a temp fuel cap.

14. Indicators wrong shade of orange.

Alot of the above were fail advisory before which meant your car would still pass but now you will simply fail even though allot of these points listed above would deem that you can get your car retested at no cost as they are only visual fails but who wants to return to the NCT if you can add any points to the list please do.........Safe Driving And Belt Up.:)

While I'm all for the safety aspect of the test, I still think that they fail vehicles for the dumbest of reasons.

Two examples come to mind......

1. Not having the county name (Must be in the Irish language) displayed on your number plates, or, even if you have but it is faded.

2. Slightly parched (Cracked) rubber valves on any of the wheels.

I was a victim of number 2 on my last test, The tester brought me out to the car and forcefully bent back one of the valves on one of the rear wheels, you could see some cracks in the rubber, so he failed it.

I've checked all the other three valves since & if you bend any of them back hard enough you can see signs of cracks. I tried it on a one year old car too & it also displayed minor cracks.

Here are details of the legal requirements for Irish number plates.

Here is the full NCT Manual.

My final biggest annoyance regarding the NCT test is this,

They no longer notify you when your test is up for renewal.

The liability is totally on you, to both, remember it, & to contact them in order to book an appointment for the test.

Failure to comply with the above will result in,

1. Six penalty points applied to your licence.

And

2. €1,500 fine.

-

I got failed for having a broken aerial !! (Sharp edge on body work is how it was described )

Totally agree with you gman,the rubber valves are open to all the elements all the time,and if rubber is exposed like this then perforations in the rubber will occur.i am not advocating this but i know people that have wiped their brake hoses with baby oil just before the test so the tester will think they are new and wont inspect them any further.

Last edited:
Has Your Car failed the NCT are you surprised that it actually failed on an issue that you would never have guessed that your car would actually fail on.If your car has failed why not post your grievances and annoyance here and of course get solutions to rectify the failure.Here are a list of points below;

1. Different tyre size on wheels.

2. Rotation of tyres wrong.

3. Seat belts not retracting.

4. Centre belt not on show.

5. Low level power steering fluid.

6. Low level break fluid.

7. Lights working but slightly dimmer than others.

8. Condensation behind your lenses (lights and indicators).

9. 'Loose' handbrake gaiter.

10. Wheel alignment.

11. Sticky door handle (door handle wont retract fully)

12. Windscreen washers jets not correctly aimed.

13. Having a temp fuel cap.

14. Indicators wrong shade of orange.

Alot of the above were fail advisory before which meant your car would still pass but now you will simply fail even though allot of these points listed above would deem that you can get your car retested at no cost as they are only visual fails but who wants to return to the NCT if you can add any points to the list please do.........Safe Driving And Belt Up.:)

moh, its like the 10th time i have seen it by all kinds of different users, so i am curious why do they call it tyre over there, but tire in the U.S. or am i just a dummy and thats how you spell tire? lol That's how I have always spelled it. Doh!

moh, its like the 10th time i have seen it by all kinds of different users, so i am curious why do they call it tyre over there, but tire in the U.S. or am i just a dummy and thats how you spell tire? lol That's how I have always spelled it. Doh!
lol homie and color is spelt that way in the states and spelt this way "colour" here i wonder are there many more spelling differences.

what about worn pedal rubbers any sign of metal showing its a fail,must remember to order 4 lol,also the little crack in front of driver in windscreen.:scared:
last time i was down there he gave out to me for not having seatbelts in the back of the 7 seater
i told him u dont for a 2 seater lol

Last edited:
Hi Moh,excellent job as ever.Still waiting for date for nct,i was told by a guy
they faild because too many clicks on handbrake

Hi Moh,excellent job as ever.Still waiting for date for nct,i was told by a guy
they faild because too many clicks on handbrake

Hi ally i know we all want to drive safely but some of these fails are way over board i could list numerous fails and you wouldn't believe them just make sure to give your car a good visual check any problems and before running to a garage (if it does fail hopefully it wont) either post here or pm me and ill give you some advice. (y)

Hi Moh and all who made a contribution to this threat.All your advice was so helpful in me getting my car through the NCT test, and car Passed Test.
Thank you all for help.My advice for anybody who is in process to get NCT
cerificate of road worthiness.Read through the thread.It was a great:cheers: Help me.Thanks people

No bothers ally thats what we are here for very glad for you that it passed :car: ;)

10 months overdue:yes!:going to push it in over a weeks time,better remove the gallon of underbody sealer out of car lol.

Back