Netgear rax80 ipv6 help

userlee5267

TK Veteran
Hello all

Been with sky fttp now for about a year. Sky's router does a okay ISH job. But I've never had the actual 1gb speeds they always falling around 500mb or 600mb.

So I've decided to buy another router first I tried a Asus ac86u all okay got a bit more speed but still not quite what I was expecting.

I read that a WiFi 6 router may improve this and went looking for a second hand one as they seemed dear new.

Finally won a Netgear rax80 for £80 quid all set up really easy....

Getting very close to gig speeds on the devices that accept the ax speeds

But I can't get ipv6 working it did with the Asus but not the new Netgear

I've followed loads of advice but nothing seems to fetch the ipv6 address

Anyone set up a netgear rax80

Pulled this from Netgear site

To set up a fixed IPv6 Internet connection:

1. Launch an Internet browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the network.
  2. Type https://www.routerlogin.net or https://www.routerlogin.com.
    A login screen displays.
  3. Enter the router user name and password.
    The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
    The BASIC Home screen displays.
  4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > IPv6.
    The IPv6 screen displays.
  5. In the Internet Connection Type list, select Fixed.
    The screen adjusts:
  6. Configure the fixed IPv6 addresses for the WAN connection:
    • IPv6 Address/Prefix Length. The IPv6 address and prefix length of the router WAN interface.
    • Default IPv6 Gateway. The IPv6 address of the default IPv6 gateway for the router's WAN interface.
    • Primary DNS Server. The primary DNS server that resolves IPv6 domain name records for the router.
    • Secondary DNS Server. The secondary DNS server that resolves IPv6 domain name records for the router.
    Note: If you do not specify the DNS servers, the router uses the DNS servers that are configured for the IPv4 Internet connection on the Internet Setup screen.

For more information, see the following support articles:
  7. Specify how the router assigns IPv6 addresses to the devices on your home network (the LAN) by selecting one of the following radio buttons:
    • Use DHCP Server. This method passes more information to LAN devices, but some IPv6 systems might not support the DHCv6 client function.
    • Auto Config. This is the default setting.
  8. In the IPv6 Address/Prefix Length fields, specify the static IPv6 address and prefix length of the router's LAN interface.
    If you do not specify an ID here, the router generates one automatically from its MAC address.
  9. Click the Apply button.

Pulled this from Netgear site

To set up a fixed IPv6 Internet connection:

1. Launch an Internet browser from a computer or wireless device that is connected to the network.
  2. Type https://www.routerlogin.net or https://www.routerlogin.com.
    A login screen displays.
  3. Enter the router user name and password.
    The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
    The BASIC Home screen displays.
  4. Select ADVANCED > Advanced Setup > IPv6.
    The IPv6 screen displays.
  5. In the Internet Connection Type list, select Fixed.
    The screen adjusts:
  6. Configure the fixed IPv6 addresses for the WAN connection:
    • IPv6 Address/Prefix Length. The IPv6 address and prefix length of the router WAN interface.
    • Default IPv6 Gateway. The IPv6 address of the default IPv6 gateway for the router's WAN interface.
    • Primary DNS Server. The primary DNS server that resolves IPv6 domain name records for the router.
    • Secondary DNS Server. The secondary DNS server that resolves IPv6 domain name records for the router.
    Note: If you do not specify the DNS servers, the router uses the DNS servers that are configured for the IPv4 Internet connection on the Internet Setup screen.

For more information, see the following support articles:
  7. Specify how the router assigns IPv6 addresses to the devices on your home network (the LAN) by selecting one of the following radio buttons:
    • Use DHCP Server. This method passes more information to LAN devices, but some IPv6 systems might not support the DHCv6 client function.
    • Auto Config. This is the default setting.
  8. In the IPv6 Address/Prefix Length fields, specify the static IPv6 address and prefix length of the router's LAN interface.
    If you do not specify an ID here, the router generates one automatically from its MAC address.
  9. Click the Apply button.
Cheers it still won't kick in. Although it's all running okay. Ive even started to get near a gig now after turning on mimo and odfma. Landed to be honest as with sky's router was crap..

Will it matter if the ipv6 isn't working? Will I come across problems?

Back