New ntl/upc customers beware

thebyrnie

Hi

Ntl are issueing combined cisco systems modem router with all new residential installs but they are centraly controlling this router and you can not log into they change the password from default which means if you want to change your wireless key, foward a port basically do anything you have to ring 1908 and ask tech support to do it

Oh My God what is it coming to

yes mister ntl guy i would like to change my wireless key as to ensure nobody on this earth knows it execpt for me

ok sir can you confirm your name and address please, thats ok sir now what would you like your new wireless key to be

i know sarcasm doesn't become me but for crying out loud

thought i'd give everyone the heads up

Sure you can't be having that! :mad:

That takes total autonomy from the end user?

Can you imagine having to phone them every time you wanted to make the smallest of changes?

They'll probably claim that it's for the customers benefit by using technical terminology to try and baffle them? Users today are not that stupid, forums like this & others offer too much help and information for users to be fooled by that surely?

There is no way in hell I'd accept that :eyebrow:

So you can't forward ports to achieve the best results from you legal torrent sources??????? :cheesy grin:

They hinted at this some time back when they claimed it would save them massive time & manpower hours because if idiots couldn't mess with their routers they would have way less Tech Support calls. How many calls will they get if you have to phone them every time you want to sneeze?

Maybe the real reason is that they are telling all those lovely people threatening to sue them if they don't block access to sites such as TPB that it's all right now because we've locked down our routers?

I'm having none of it! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cheers for the heads up byrnie (y)

-

i am with them, how do i find out if my router is this way? i have it in since late last year/ early this year. and the wireless router is a netgear.

i am with them, how do i find out if my router is this way? i have it in since late last year/ early this year. and the wireless router is a netgear.

You're grand then. The new setup has a combined Cisco Modem/Router (One Box) (y)

-

thanks Gman, must look at how to change settings, i am that pc illiterate, that i didn't know that i could change things until i read both this post and the one about speeding up torrents. I knew there was a reason for crossing over from the dark side(ad).

The dark side is a lonely place lol

If you want any help with your net gear router to maximise speeds or to just get to know it give me a shout
I will be glad to help

Back