new plaster work

jmcd49

hi ive just had my living room plastered skimed and its drying nicely but im thinking about painting it is there something i apply before painting

jmcd49 just let it dry out properly m8 and use a good quality undercoat, play the music you like and enjoy the painting (y)

You can paint it fairly soon after plastering providing you use Microporous Paints. These paints will allow the surface of the plaster to carry on breathing while the walls are drying out. You can pick these sorts of paints up in most DIY stores.

once plaster goes pink ,you can buy cheap emulsion and then water it down half and half .give it a good coat and then paint it .hope this helps.

yep 50 / 50 water to emulsion job done . this slows the suction from porous plasterwork drying paint to quickly. NEVER buy expensive base coats etc its a con.

I usually use cheap matt emulsion, watered down 20%. If you use paint straight from the tub the plaster will suck the water out of it and it will peel off. Ive heard people using PVA adhesive watered down too but haven't tried that myself. Just stick to cheapo emulsion.

Ive just skimmed a full 3 bed house,let the walls dry well then diluted pva and brushed on,let that dry and then used mid price paint and it took great.Just be sure to mix the pva well and you dont have to buy the dear stuff.

I usually use cheap matt emulsion, watered down 20%. If you use paint straight from the tub the plaster will suck the water out of it and it will peel off. Ive heard people using PVA adhesive watered down too but haven't tried that myself. Just stick to cheapo emulsion.

hubby always does that on new plaster before he paints, does not take long to do or dry, then use any paint, but yes you can buy special pant - not sure if its more expensive or not. We usually use the DIY stores own paint, very similar colour to branded paints but a lot cheaper and you get more for your money!

as has been mentioned, just get some light coloured emulsion and thin it about 25%, apply to the walls when thay have fully dried.
You can then see what condition the new plaster is in and snag any areas that might need a little filler - I always use gypsum based.
Then get your finish colour, quality emulsion and apply.
Bobs your uncle......

Back