new tyre

dee

TK Veteran
changed the tyres at the front of the car for the MOT, the other called me to say we had a flat, took it in to change it not thinking the mechanic said it was a faulty valve, tyre cost me £ 48, could i of just had the valve replaced as the tyre was 6 weeks old.

if the tyre was driven on with low air pressure damage could have been done,valves if leaking can be replaced or a tubeless neck fitted

cheers cackti, should of asked before going saved myself some money.

Added after 42 minutes:

the tyre had less than a hundred miles on it. could i of used it as the spare as at the moment i have that bloody temp wheel.

Last edited:
well to late now to advise sorry! only just seen this post, get tyre off rim check inside if there is evidence of rubber come away from inside wall usually small black balls are formed and lay on floor of tyre wall of tyre is knackered, can be used as spare but only if your ok with takeing the risk, the plum who sold you tyre in first place should have dipped the tyre in large bucket of water to check for leaks after he'd fitted your tyre and before he fitted the wheel back onto your car andwould have noticedthe valve was goosed, (its easy and cheap to replace valve.) as you say the tyre was new so you had cause to take it back to complain every time you buy a new tyre they should and usually do change the valve for new, part worns should also change but sometimes they dont bother watch tem next time

Last edited:
a word of warning with the bad times still with us i see people buying second hand part worn tyres good bargain they say,but may be old tyres with signs of age cracking etc,always go for new tyres fresh grip and better ride.

Back